Longtime Modified car owner Wayne Darling won a NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour championship with Doug Coby in 2012 and finished second in the standings one year later. But now, just three years removed from winning the NWMT championship, Darling has decided to scale back his team’s racing efforts for the 2015 season.

 

Darling told Speed51.com powered by JEGS Monday that he is selling everything except for one car, one motor and one trailer.

 

“I don’t have the help to maintain the car,” Darling said. “I just have the one full-time guy. It’s too much for him.”

 

Coby left the Darling-owned No. 52 before the 2014 season began to head to the Mike Smeriglio-owned No. 2 car. It ended up being a move that paid off for Coby, but not so much for Darling.

 

“Most of my guys went to the (Smeriglio) team last year,” he said. “That’s where all our crew members went to, which pretty much put us out of business.”

 

Matt Hirschman piloted the No. 52 this year. He and Darling split the season with Hirschman running some races in his own car and some races in Darling’s equipment. The team finished with two top-five and six top-10 finishes on their way to Hirschman finishing 13th in the NWMT driver’s standings and Darling 10th in owner’s standings.

 

Now, one day after the 2014 season finale at Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park (CT), Darling said that he isn’t sure if his car will enter any of the NWMT races next year.

 

“The only thing I can run is some open competition shows and maybe some Tour races but at this point it’s all up in the air.”

 

-By Rob Blount, Speed51.com Regional Editor (CT, Long Island, NJ) – Twitter: @RobBlount

-Photo Credit: Speed51.com.

Wayne Darling Downsizing Modified Operation for 2015 Season