The best races in short track racing happen during the daytime. From the Snowball Derby to the Winchester 400, the biggest and best are run under the sun in the fall months of the year. The Alabama 200 at Montgomery Motor Speedway will return to the afternoon setting with the 51st running this weekend.
“We are looking forward to a good weekend,” said track General Manager Stan Narrison. “This will be the third year for the Alabama 200 with the Southern Super Series and it looks to be getting better every year.”
The race is full of history and has had such winners as Bobby Allison, Red Farmer, Ronnie Sanders, Ed Howe and Neil Bonnet just to name a few.
“The history of this race is amazing,” added Narrison. “I had press clipping come across my desk and the names that have run this race make it one of the best around. We have done a lot of work to have a good year at Montgomery and we want to finish it off strong with the Alabama 200.”
In addition to the Sunday show, the tradition of teams only being permitted to change tires at the halfway break has also returned. This will allow for all teams to have a factor in running for the win.
“We want all the teams that have Late Models to come run this weekend,” added Narrison. “We have guys building cars in the area and the cars with two or three crew members can come and run the 200 and not have to worry about the high dollars of a live pit stop team.”
The entry list is strong with series point leader Casey Smith leading the charge over Oklahoma City, Oklahoma driver Donnie Wilson. Both are former winners at the Montgomery track in Southern Super Series action, but neither driver has won the Alabama 200.
There will be former Alabama 200 winners in the field in the likes of Anderson Bowen, Augie Grill and potentially others. The rest of the cast of drivers includes 2014 SSS champion Bubba Pollard, Casey Roderick, Kyle Grissom, Harrison Burton, Logan Boyett, Dennis Reno and several others.
The race will take place at 2 p.m. following the 75-lap Modifieds of Mayhem event. Fans are welcome to tailgate during the weekend as there will practice on Friday and qualifying on Saturday. In addition to qualifying on Saturday, there will be several local features with racing starting at 7 p.m.
Alabama 200 Southern Super Series expected entries
1. #29 Anderson Bowen Suwanee Ga.
2. #11 Logan Boyett Cantonment Fl.
3. #31 Kyle Grissom Concord NC
4. #12 Harrison Burton Huntersville NC
5. #2 Donnie Wilson Oklahoma City OK
6. #7 Casey Roderick Lawrenceville Ga
7. #9 Chase Elliott Dawsonville Ga.
8. #43 Dennis Shoenfeld Van Buren AK
9. #79 Kyle Bryant Navarre Fl.
10. #23 Dalton Grindle Flowery Branch Ga.
11. #98 Russell Fleeman Dacula Ga.
12. #X2 Dennis Reno Jr Tarrent Al
13. #99 Casey Smith Austin Tx
14. #58 Todd Brown Lake Panasoffkee Fl
15. #58 Bobby Deistler Inverness Fl
16. #58 John Coffman Live Oak Fl
17. #26 Bubba Pollard Senoia Ga
18. #47 Allen Karnes Sharpsburg Ga.
19. #4 Kyle Plott Cumming Ga.
20 #112 Augie Grill Hayden Al.
21. #88 Garrett Jones Moorsville NC
22. #24 Christopher Tullis Dacula Ga.
-By Elgin Traylor – Correspondent, Speed51.com – Twitter: @elgintraylor
-Photo credit: Speed51.com