Thunder Road Offers Update on Injured Officials

Thunder Road co-owners Cris Michaud and Pat Malone issued a joint statement Tuesday afternoon regarding the two officials injured in an accident during Sunday’s Labor Day Classic event.


First of all, we want to thank everyone for their positive thoughts, prayers, vibes, and support over the last two days. Countless people have reached out to the officials, drivers, and fans who were at Sunday’s Labor Day Classic event as well as to us directly. Times like this are proof of how tightly-knit the racing family is, regardless of what driver, track, or series you may consider your “favorite.”


The two officials involved in Sunday’s accident are both expected to recover fully. One was discharged from the hospital on Sunday night and is at home awaiting surgery on a leg injury. The other is still at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in New Hampshire and likely will be for several more days. Both have been in good spirits throughout the ordeal. At least one has spoken directly with the drivers involved and expressed their desire to see them back on the track.


We also need to thank all the rescue personnel, safety workers, officials, drivers, teams, and fans for their response in the immediate aftermath of Sunday’s accident. The professionalism they showed in the moment and afterwards has been nothing short of remarkable. This response is a big part of why the current outlook is positive for everyone involved.


An announcement is expected either today or tomorrow regarding a make-up date for the Labor Day Classic. A suitable date may involve shuffling other parts of the Thunder Road schedule. But make no mistake, we will do everything in our power to complete the event, as well as the rest of the Thunder Road season. One of the officials involved was disappointed we didn’t go back racing the same day! Again, we thank everyone for their continued support, and we hope to see all of you at the track soon.


-Thunder Road Press Release

-Photo credit:

Thunder Road Offers Update on Injured Officials