PASS South 150 - South Boston Speedway (VA) - 8/11/18
Last updated: August 12, 2018 at 8:58 am
(Updated throughout the day - Be sure to refresh this page frequently)
What Won the Race: Bubba Pollard outdueled Lucas Jones on a lap 146 restart to take the victory.
|5||15||Roy Hayes, III|
Feature Notebook: Brandon Setzer jumps out to the lead ahead of Austin Thaxton to start the race. The first caution waves on lap 13 as Jared Irvan slows to a stop in turn two. Kodie Conner takes the lead from Setzer on the lap 13 restart. The second caution of the evening flies on lap 19 as Matt Craig slows with a flat right-rear tire. On the ensuing restart, the leaders mix it up, with Brandon Lynn coming away with the lead. Kodie Conner and Tate Fogleman shortly tangle in a chain-reaction incident, ending their races. Logan Seavey works his way into the top five on lap 38 after drawing the ninth starting spot. After an extended green-flag run, the caution waves on lap 64 as Sterling Cling backs into the outside wall in turns three and four. Under caution, Brandon Setzer, Matt Craig, and Bubba Pollard come to pit road. Lucas Jones takes the lead on the restart, with Corey Heim moving into second. Corey Heim challenges Lucas Jones for the lead, but Jones maintains the top spot. Heim takes the lead from Jones on lap 89. The caution comes out on lap 96 as Brandon Setzer hits the turn one wall. Bubba Pollard moves up to fourth on the restart, ahead of Logan Seavey. Jared Irvan spins and collects the outside wall in turn four to slow the field on lap 103. Lucas Jones takes the lead on the restart, but Heim and Pollard pressure him up front. Bubba Pollard takes the lead just before a caution involving Matt Craig waves on lap 130. Lucas Jones retakes the lead briefly on the restart, but Pollard powers ahead on lap 133. Brandon Lynn's strong run comes to an end on lap 139 when he hits the outside wall exiting turn four. Lucas Jones and Bubba Pollard again battle for the lead on the restart, with Pollard spinning in turn four on lap 142 as a result. Austin Thaxton hits the outside wall after contact with Trey Jarrell on the restart, with Corey Heim taking the lead before the caution. Lucas Jones again gets the quick draw on the restart to take the lead, while Bubba Pollard moves into second before an incident on lap 146 involving Logan Seavey and J.P. Josiasse. Pollard takes the lead on the late restart and pulls away for the win.
|13||15||Roy Hayes, III|
Time Trial Results:
|14||15||Roy Hayes, III||14.673|
*Layne Riggs time-trialed the No. 8F for Tate Fogleman, while Fogleman is traveling from Michigan after competing with the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series. Fogleman will start from the rear of the field this evening.
- Corey Heim is a winner before the start of tonight's race, as he won the first of two NASCAR Whelen All-American Series Late Model Stock features of the night.
-The start of tonight's racing program was briefly delayed for a passing shower. After a quick track-drying effort, the first feature race took the green flag at 7:26 P.M., less than 30 minutes after the scheduled start time.
- The two fastest qualifiers, Logan Seavey and Bubba Pollard, both drew spots in the fifth row during the top-ten redraw, and will have to work their way through the field to return to the front. Local Late Model Stock competitor Austin Thaxton drew the pole position after placing seventh in time trials.
- Tate Fogleman did not practice his Pro All Stars Series (PASS) South Super Late Model, as he was in Brooklyn, Michigan competing with the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series. Late Model Stock standout Layne Riggs dialed in Fogleman's car during the practice sesssion, while Fogleman will fly in for the race this evening. Riggs will also time trial the car, and Fogleman will start at the rear of the field.
- After rain forced the postponement of an earlier PASS South event at Orange County Speedway (NC), tonight's race at South Boston was declared an additional race in the PASS "Roads to Oxford and Richmond" initiative. The top-five in tonight's race earn a guaranteed starting spot in either the Oxford 250 at Oxford Plains Speedway (ME) or the inaugural Commonwealth Classic at Richmond Raceway (VA).
- Kodie Conner set fast time in final practice, with a lap of 14.139 seconds around South Boston Speedway. J.P. Josiasse backed into the wall during practice, but he and his crew made minor cosmetic repairs to his No. 24J and he participated in time trials.
On the Move: Roy Hayes, III and J.P. Josiasse both started near the rear of the field (and rebounded from incidents), gaining eight spots from their starting positions to finish fifth and seventh, respectively.
Biggest Loser: Brandon Setzer started on the outside of the front row, but an incident ended his night early for a 14th place finish.