Oxford 250 Practice Day – Oxford Plains Speedway – 8/26/16
Last updated: August 27, 2016 at 10:50 am
(Updated throughout the day – Be sure to refresh this page frequently)
- Bobby Timmons has his No. 48 in the pit area but is not going out for practice today. He competed in three weekly shows recently at Oxford Plains to dial in his car for Sunday’s race.
- Dillon Moltz has his No. 5 Super Late Model here today but it unsure if his team will attempt to qualify for the Oxford 250. Their plan is to see how the car is going and then make a determination. Moltz is also competing in Saturday’s ACT race, which is the team’s top priority this weekend.
- Cassius Clark is here today after originally planning on being at Petty International Raceway (NB) for the Pro Stock Tour race. Now that he’s out of championship contention in that series, his team decided to use today’s practice session to get prepared for the big race.
- Current Oxford Plains SLM points leader Tim Brackett will not be in his own No. 60 car today. He is behind the wheel of the Aspire Higher No. 60, a car maintained by middle school students from nearby Oxford Hills Middle School.
- Justin Drake, a feature winner this year at nearby Beech Ridge Motor Speedway, sat atop the speed chart after the first hour of Super Late Model practice.
- A few drivers including Dalton Sargeant, Kelly Moore, Wyatt Alexander and Garrett Hall have two cars that they are practicing here today.
- Two-time Oxford 250 winner Travis Benjamin went to the top of the speed charts late in the afternoon session.
- Defending 250 winner Glen Luce slotted into third behind Drake at the end of the afternoon session. Luce has been battling fatigue for the past week, the symptoms of a recent Lyme Disease diagnosis. Luce is in high spirits and ready to defend his win on Sunday.
- Joey Doiron makes his return to PASS competition after suffering an off-track ankle injury earlier in the summer. He put in the most laps of anyone in the afternoon session with 111.
- Wayne Helliwell Jr. and Joey Polewarczyk Jr. tied for the last 150-lap PASS North race run at Oxford one month ago, Helliwell clocked in fourth on the afternoon while Joey Pole was 26th, but not immediately concerned.
- Derek Griffith won the last PASS North round at the Lee USA Speedway, he was eighth on the afternoon and comes into this year’s 250 with plenty of confidence.
- Kodie Conner and Tate Fogleman sit second and third in the PASS South standings, they both made the trip from North Carolina to Maine for the 250. Conner was 22nd and Fogleman 23rd.
- TJ Brackett turned just seven laps all day long, but that was enough to earn him the fastest practice time of the afternoon.
After One Hour
|3||27NH||Wayne Helliwell, Jr.||15.660|
|16||97||Joey Polewarczyk, Jr.||15.997|
After Two Hours
|3||27NH||Wayne Helliwell, Jr.||15.660|
|10||23||Dave Farrington, Jr.||15.883|
|18||97||Joey Polewarczyk, Jr.||15.997|
After Three Hours
|4||27nh||Wayne Helliwell, Jr.||15.660|
|14||23||Dave Farrington, Jr.||15.883|
|16||46||Dennis Spencer, Jr.||15.890|
|26||97||Joey Polewarczyk, Jr.||15.997|
|2||27nh||Wayne Helliwell, Jr.||15.604|
|4||97||Joey Polewarczyk, Jr.||16.656|
|9||46||Dennis Spencer, Jr.||15.829|
Car Count: Unofficially, 56 Super Late Models are in the pit area already today.
|23||Dave Farrington, Jr.|
|27nh||Wayne Helliwell, Jr.|
|46||Dennis Spencer, Jr.|
|97||Joey Polewarczyk, Jr.|
Event Schedule: The Super Late Models will have a three-hour practice session from 12:45 – 3:45 p.m. ET. Local divisions will then have the track for practice until 6 p.m. when the Super Late Models get back on the track for a final 20 minute practice session.
Who to Watch For: Wayne Helliwell, Jr. will be a driver to watch for throughout the weekend after his recent success at Oxford. Defending champion Glen Luce will also have eyes on him after winning the race one year ago.
Title Fight: DJ Shaw leads Mike Hopkins by 53 points in the PASS North standings, while Ben Rowe holds a five-point lead over Hopkins in the PASS National standings.
The Track: Oxford Plains Speedway is a flat 3/8-mile oval located in Oxford, Maine. The track is known for constantly changing and keeping race teams on their toes.
Weather: It is a warm day today in Oxford with temperatures in the 80’s. After a brief rain shower earlier this morning, the forecast looks great for the remainder of the weekend.
Next Series Race: Next up is the PASS 300 at Beech Ridge Motor Speedway on September 18.