TQ Midgets “Battle at Trenton” Friday
(Updated throughout the day – Be sure to refresh this page frequently)
- Early in Friday practice for the TQ Midgets. Drivers for the most part are working to get rubber into the upper groove of the track. Speed are expected to increase as the day goes on.
- After the first two practice sessions for the TQ Midgets, only the outside groove has been rubbered in. Zane Zeiner was fastest at 7.63 seconds followed by Jimmy Blewett, Andy Jankowiak, Kyle Reinhardt, and Ryan Tidman.
- Trouble for Anthony Sesely after the third practice with his fuel pump. Crew is replacing the pump.
- Only 39 drivers particpated in the third practice after race officials moved in the tire stacks from the upper groove. Track is still slippery for a number of drivers.
- With 2.5 hours left until time trials, Anthony Sesely continues to battle a misfire in the engine. Team still believes it may be fuel related.
- Final practice is complete with the drivers putting in the fastest times of the day on a track similar to what they will qualifying on tonight. Erick Rudolph put in the fastest time, see below for the top practice speeds.
- Dakota Kessler is out for the weekend after hitting the turn one wall with the nose of No. 449 TQ. He was assisted from the car and given a medical check but he is okay.
- No big calamities for most teams as crews begin to line cars up for time trials. The only exception is Anthony Sesely with his team doing work on the electrics and replacing the spark plugs on car No. 16. Sesely still hopes to qualify.
- Bit of a moment in TQ Time Trials as Jeff Strunk overdrives the car on his second qualifying lap and rolls over. He is okay and drives back to the pits.
- Change of plans, after fluid from Matt Janisch’s car got all over the racing surface followed by an extensive cleanup, officials have decided to run the first Champ Kart heat race before completing TQ Time Trials.
- All three Champ Kart heats are complete. Anthony Colandro, A.J. Jadacki, and Chris Daley are the winners. TQ Time Trials are being completed.
- Another stop in Time Trials as Chad Jones hits the wall, he is okay, his car is not.
- TQ Time Trials are complete. Erick Rudolph is the fast qualifier. The fields for Friday’s three qualifying races are set.
- Early in the first TQ Qualifying race, Andy Jankowiak hops a wheel and slams the turn two wall with the right front. He is okay, but very disappointed.
- After moving forward in the first qualifier, Anthony Sesely’s bad luck continues as he loses power on track.
- In just his second career TQ Indoor event, Connecticut’s Nick Ladyga holds off Kyle Reinhardt and wins the first TQ Qualifying Race and is locked into Saturday’s A-Main.
- Some rough moments in the second TQ Qualifier as Ted Christopher hits hard with the right front in the wall and Aaron Bartemy slides on his lid. Both drivers are okay.
- A sensational final four laps in the second TQ Qualifier as Jimmy Blewett gets inside of Patrick Emerling and the two rub nerf bars and bang wheels all the way to the finish, with Blewett holding off Emerling for the win.
- Chris Daley wins the 20-lap Champ Kart feature.
- The third TQ Qualifier also presented some tough moments for points contenders as Erick Rudolph spun twice and Mike Lichty hit the wall with the right front corner.
- Bob Baker went up and over in the third TQ Qualifier, he retired from the race, but was unhurt.
- Ryan Susice finished Friday’s action with the win in the third TQ Qualifier.
66 TQ Midgets checked in to race this weekend.
Anthony Sesely leads the points standings by just one point over Mike Lichty. Allentown winner Erick Rudolph trails by six points in third and fourth place Jimmy Blewett trails by 13 points. These four drivers are the only four still in the title hunt.
Heat Race Results:
Time Trials (Top Ten):
Friday Qualifying Race #1:
|15||71A||Christopher Allen Jr|
TQ Qualifying Race #2:
TQ Qualifying Race #3:
|9||75||Lou Cicconi Jr|
|11||75||Lou Cicconi Jr||7.379|
Friday (Feb. 26)
1pm: TQ Practice
3pm: 1st Champ Kart Practice, Final TQ, Final Champ Kart
6:30pm: Grandstands Open
7:30pm TQ Time Trials
8pm: Racing Begins
Champ Kart Heats (3 Races, 8-laps)
TQ Last Chance Race (10-laps)
1st TQ Qualifying Race (20-laps)
Champ Kart B-Main (8-laps)
2nd TQ Qualifying Race (20-laps)
Champ Kart Feature (20-laps)
3rd TQ Qualifying Race (20-Laps)
Saturday (Feb. 27)
2pm TQ & Slingshot Practice6pm Grandstands Open
7pm Racing Begins;
TQ Heats (5 races, 10-laps)
Slingshot Heats (3 races, 8-laps)
TQ D-Main (10-laps)
Slingshot B-Main (10-laps)
TQ C-Main (10-laps)
TQ Dash (5-laps)
TQ B-Main (10-laps)
Slingshot A-Main (20-laps)
TQ A-Main (40-laps)
Who To Watch For:
Atlantic City winner Anthony Sesely and Allentown winner Erick Rudolph come in as two of the favorites along with fellow points contenders Mike Lichty and Jimmy Blewett. Andy Jankowiak, Justin Bonsingore, Zane Zeiner, and Ryan Tidman are drivers that have also shown speed in the first two Indoor Championship races.
|71||Christopher Allen Jr|
|75||Lou Cicconi Jr|
This race will be the third run on the 1/10th mile concrete arena floor of the Sun National Bank Center in Trenton, NJ.
We are inside at the Sun National Bank Center, but it is cold outside in the high 20’s where a lot of teams are fueling and welding.
Next Series Race:
This is the 2016 season finale for the three-race Indoor Auto Racing Championship.