One week ago, the CARS Tour announced that Brandon Setzer’s penalties following a post-race altercation at the Hickory Motor Speedway (NC) event were reduced to just a one-race suspension following an appeal hearing. But over the weekend, Setzer announced on social media that he’ll still be sitting out the next two races anyway.
Setzer’s announcement came after CARS Tour officials said that his father, Dennis, would still be suspended for another two races.
“We talked to friends, family, sponsors and they supported the whole deal and felt the same as I did and that is if we’re going to race, we’re going to race together,” Setzer told Speed51.com on Tuesday afternoon. “There’s no sense in going to the race track with just one of us. We wanted to stick together, so that’s what we decided.”
The penalties all stem from a post-race scuffle with the Kyle Busch Motorsports crew after an on-track incident with Raphael Lessard in the closing stages of the race at Hickory on May 5.
Both Setzers were initially suspended for the remainder of the 2018 season, which was a total of five races. Last week, Brandon Setzer’s suspension was reduced to just one race, which he served by missing the Short Track U.S. Nationals event at Bristol Motor Speedway.
Dennis Setzer’s two-race suspension will have the team missing the combination event with the Southern Super Series at South Carolina’s Anderson Motor Speedway on June 9, and the Tour’s return to Hickory Motor Speedway for the Throwback 276 event on August 4.
After the Cars Tour’s decision on Thursday to allow me to race but my dad to still have a 2 race suspension. We decided we will race as a TEAM or sit as a TEAM. Look forward to trying new things and new places. Next race Myrtle beach July 14th🏁
— Brandon Setzer (@BSetzerRacing6) May 28, 2018
Brandon Setzer said his next two races will be at Myrtle Beach Speedway (NC) on July 14 at the Sun Fun 101, and then at the PASS South Orange Blossom 150 at Orange County Speedway (NC) on July 21.
Beyond those two events, Setzer said he isn’t sure where his team will go. As far as a return to the CARS Tour is concerned, Setzer said they’ll have to “reevaluate” things.
“We’re definitely looking at some plans for the future. Maybe some bigger races. Maybe sit out some races and hit some bigger races. Maybe get to the Snowball (Derby) or something like that. We’re not really looking at this as a bad thing. It could open some doors and it could be a good thing.”
-By Rob Blount, Speed51.com Associate Editor – Twitter: @RobBlount
-Photo credit: Speed51.com