(Vivian, LA) – With 65 of the nation’s premier heavy-hitters on hand Thursday at the Ark-La-Tex Speedway, Stormy Scott was in a class all his own in the 35-lap main event to kick off the 5th Annual USMTS Cajun Clash presented by Horseshoe Bossier City.
After racing from sixth to second in Edelbrock Heat Race #3, Scott redrew the pole position for the start of the $2,000-to-win feature race, and that was as close as anybody got to the 26-year-old from Las Cruces, N.M.
“We kind of left scratching our heads last week and tried some different stuff tonight,” Scott said in victory lane. “It ended up working pretty good for me.”
With no cautions to help his chasers, Scott was flawless through lapped traffic and crossed the finish line with a four-second cushion over runner-up Terry Phillips.
While it was Scott’s first trip to the winner’s circle at Gene Boyter’s popular high-banked red clay oval, it was the 36th of his USMTS career, tying him for sixth on the all-time list with Jon Tesch.
“We’re just now starting to mellow out a bit, but the work’s never done,” said Scott, referring to the off-season work of preparing cars for both himself and twin brother, Johnny, as they are venturing out as a team this season. “I’m going to go celebrate tonight, then get ready to go again tomorrow.”
Behind Scott and Phillips, defending USMTS national champion Jason Hughes raced from eighth on the grid to third at the end of the 35-lapper with Rodney Sanders, who started 15th, tucked in behind in fourth.
Jamie Burford was fifth, while Cade Dillard, Jason Ingalls, Ryan Gustin, Kyle Strickler and Austin Arneson rounded out the top ten finishers.
USMTS Speedweeks continues Friday. The green flag unfurls at 7 p.m. with USMTS Modifieds competing for $3,000 to win while Limited Mods will battle for $600 to win and Factory Stocks $400 to win. Grandstand tickets are $20 with kids ages 12 and under getting in for free. Pit passes are $35.
Saturday’s finale gets started at 6 p.m. USMTS Modifieds will race for $4,000 to win with Limited Mods paying $700 to win, Factory Stocks $500 to win and Pro-Mods joining the card for $400 to win.
The Ark-La-Tex Speedway is located 0.6 mile south of SR 2 on SR 1, then 0.7 mile west on Airport Rd., then 2.2 miles south on Boyter Lane Rd. For race day information, call the track hotline at 318-375-3470 or click www.arklatexspeedway.net to visit them online.
For unfortunate fans unable to make one or more of these blockbuster events, every lap of every race at every event during USMTS Winter Speedweeks will be broadcast live via pay-per-view at www.RacinDirt.comm/LiveVideo.
To learn more about the United States Modified Touring Series, visit www.usmts.com online or call 515-832-7944. You can also like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/usmts, follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/usmts and Instagram at www.instagram.com/usmts or subscribe to our YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/usmtstv.
- (1) 2s Stormy Scott, Arroyo Hondo, N.M., Lethal/Mullins, $2000.
- (4) 75 Terry Phillips, Springfield, Mo., GRT/Durham, $1500.
- (8) 12 Jason Hughes, Watts, Okla., Hughes/Mullins, $1000.
- (15) 20 Rodney Sanders, Happy, Texas, MBCustom/Geddes, $800.
- (2) 19 Jamie Burford, Keatchie, La., MBCustom/PTS, $700.
- (11) 97 Cade Dillard, Robeline, La., MBCustom/ASI, $650.
- (7) 12 Jason Ingalls, Longview, Texas, IRP/PTS, $600.
- (16) 19r Ryan Gustin, Marshalltown, Iowa, Hughes/Mullins, $550.
- (9) 8 Kyle Strickler (R), Mooresville, N.C., Harris/VED, $500.
- (19) 10 Austin Arneson, Fargo, N.D., GRT/Durham, $450.
- (5) 12 Lucas Lee (R), Paris, Tenn., LLM/Hovis, $425.
- (13) G17 Fito Gallardo, Las Cruces, N.M., LG2/AOS, $200.
- (17) 12d Scott Drake, Joplin, Mo., MBCustom/GMPP, $400.
- (10) 89c Steve Whiteaker Jr., Corpus Christi, Texas, GRT/Durham, $350.
- (12) 21 David Winslett, Bossier City, La., GRT/TwinCity, $325.
- (18) 16 Chris Henigan, Marshall, Texas, MBCustom/Sput’s, $300.
- (20) 2 Casey Arneson, Fargo, N.D., GRT/Durham, $300.
- (25) 99 Jesse Sobbing, Malvern, Iowa, Harris/GMPP, $300.
- (14) 16 Austin Siebert, Grandview, Mo., MBCustom/Mullins, $300.
- (23) 91 Joe Duvall, Claremore, Okla., MBCustom/Wornhor, $400.
- (26) 23k Ben Kates, Tonganoxie, Kan., LG2/Speedway, $400.
- (24) 85 Thomas Tillison Jr., Wellston, Okla., Hughes/Geddes, $300.
- (21) 21 Chris Brown, Spring, Texas, LG2/Durham, $300.
- (3) 18 Caleb Dillard, Robeline, La., Sidebiter/PTS, $200.
- (22) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa, LG2/Sput’s, $400.
- (6) C8 Timothy Culp, Sheridan, Ark., Hughes/Sput’s, $200.
– USMTS press release and supplied photo