PRYOR CREEK, Okla. — Johnny Scott’s march to the USMTS national championship made a stop at the Salina Highbanks Speedway on Saturday for the 6th Annual Salute To Our Veterans presented by ARMI.
Scott, who brought a huge points lead into the event, expanded his cushion with his third win in his last five starts and tenth USMTS Hunt for the Casey’s Cup victory of the 2018 campaign.
Following a pre-race military flyover by Paul Mackey and the Warbirds, a field of 42 entrants competed in five heat races with Scott and his twin brother Stormy getting wins along with Jason Hughes, Zack VanderBeek and Trevor Latham.
Stormy Scott redrew the Sybesma Graphics Pole Position but led just a single lap as Lucas Schott blasted to the front to lead the second lap around the high-banked 3/8-mile clay oval near Pryor Creek, Okla.
But five laps later Schott pulled to a stop at the top of the banking with a broken J-bar to bring out the caution flag and ending his strong run.
Johnny Scott, who started fourth, was in charge for the restart and that’s where he remained until the end of the 35th and final lap.
With just seven points races remaining on the 2018 schedule, Scott is in the driver’s seat to claim the $50,000 champion’s check at season’s end.
Stormy Scott finished second to give the Scott Brothers Racing duo a 1-2 finish while Hughes finished third ahead of 12th-starting Tyler Wolff and Friday’s Grant Junghans Memorial winner, Jake O’Neil, who started 17th and picked up the FK Rod Ends Hard Charger Award.
Cade Dillard followed O’Neil from the ninth row of the starting field and finished sixth. Although he didn’t win the FK Rod Ends Hard Charger Award, he did snag the Eibach Spring Forward Award by advancing 18 positions throughout the program.
Trevor Latham garnered seventh and Rodney Sanders turned a rarely-needed provisional starting spot into an eighth-place finish. Dereck Ramirez and VanderBeek rounded out the top ten finishers.
Three big events are on tap next Friday, Saturday and Sunday, Aug. 24-26, beginning with the 8th Annual USMTS Rapid Rumble at the Rapid Speedway in Rock Rapids, Iowa. On Saturday it’s the 8th Annual USMTS River City Rumble at the Park Jefferson Speedway in Jefferson, S.D., and the tripleheader wraps up with the Sandy Benson Memorial at the Casino Speedway in Watertown, S.D., on Sunday.
CASEY’S GENERAL STORES “A” MAIN (35 laps):
1. (4) 1st Johnny Scott, Cameron, Mo., VanderBuilt/Hill, 35, $3475.
2. (1) 2s Stormy Scott, Las Cruces, N.M., VanderBuilt/Mullins, 35, $2150.
3. (6) 12 Jason Hughes, Watts, Okla., Hughes/Mullins, 35, $1200.
4. (12) 4w Tyler Wolff, Fayetteville, Ark., MBCustoms/Hatfield, 35, $1000.
5. (17) 0 Jake O’Neil (R), Tucson, Ariz., LG2/Cornett, 35, $1725.
6. (18) 97 Cade Dillard, Robeline, La., MBCustoms/Knowles, 35, $700.
7. (5) 27L Trevor Latham (R), Rogers, Ark., Hughes/BCD, 35, $600.
8. (23) 20 Rodney Sanders, Happy, Texas, MBCustoms/Hatfield, 35, $920.
9. (10) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla., Hughes/Cornett, 35, $865.
10. (8) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa, VanderBuilt/Stoen, 35, $810.
11. (16) 1 Mitch Keeter, Webb City, Mo., GRT/Yeoman, 35, $325.
12. (11) 23 Adam Kates, Tonganoxie, Kan., LG2/Speedway, 35, $755.
13. (21) 111 Bumper Jones, Mesilla Park, N.M., GRT/Stoen, 35, $325.
14. (3) 91 Joe Duvall, Claremore, Okla., MBCustoms/ChevPerf, 35, $700.
15. (19) 88 Chad Wheeler, Muskogee, Okla., MBCustoms/Durham, 35, $300.
16. (7) 5t Randy Timms, Wheatland, Okla., MBCustoms/Geddes, 35, $250.
17. (15) 75 Terry Phillips, Springfield, Mo., GRT/Durham, 35, $600.
18. (20) 3366 Ryan Gillmore (R), Springfield, Mo., Hoffman/ChevPerf, 35, $300.
19. (13) 7h Brett Hansen, Fort Gibson, Okla., Hughes/BMS, 35, $250.
20. (14) 12b Johnny Bone Jr., Pea Ridge, Ark., Shaw/Yeoman, 35, $300.
21. (9) 84 John Yeoman, Joplin, Mo., Hoffman/Yeoman, 35, $250.
22. (26) 4r Jared Russell, Muskogee, Okla., Hughes/Thomas, 35, $250.
23. (24) 8c Chris Clark, Jackson, Wyo., GRT/ChevPerf, 35, $300.
24. (25) 89 Tate Cole, Muskogee, Okla., Hughes/BMS, 11, $250.
25. (22) 96t R.C. Whitwell, Tucson, Ariz., Victory/Mullins, 8, $300.
26. (2) 69 Lucas Schott, Chatfield, Minn., MBCustoms/Hill, 6, $695.
-USMTS Press Release
-Photo credit: Todd Boyd