VIVIAN, La. — Searching for victory lane since last June, Johnny Scott used a late-race restart to get by Ryan Gustin and then survived a green-white-checkered finish to score his first USMTS win of the season Thursday night at the Ark-La-Tex Speedway for night one of the 6th Annual Cajun Clash presented by Horseshoe Bossier City.
The 27-year-old from Las Cruces, N.M., started on the outside of the front row but chased Gustin for the first 21 laps around the high-banked 3/8-mile of red clay when the race’s first caution waved.
One lap after going back to green flag racing, Scott took his shot and slid up in front of Gustin at the exit of turn four after diving underneath as they entered turn three.
Gustin tried to cross back under Scott but did not have enough momentum to return the favor in the next corner.
Scott pulled away slightly over the next seven laps while Gustin had his hands full in a three-car battle with teammate Jason Hughes and Cade Dillard.
Just after talking the white flag, Scott saw the yellow flag wave for a second and final time to set up a two-lap dash to the finish.
But Scott was flawless on the restart while the trio of drivers behind him fought it out for runner-up honors.
“The top was pretty dominant most of the night, but if you could get in through the middle and dodge the holes you could get a really great run off the corner,” Scott said in victory lane. “We’ve been good all year but we just haven’t put it all together. It feels really good to get it done tonight. We’re definitely going to celebrate.”
While Scott collect $2,000 for his 29th career USMTS triumph, Gustin kept Hughes at bay to finish second and Dillard settled for fourth ahead of Kyle Strickler.
Terry Phillips, who came from last to win his Real Racing Wheels “B” Main, was an early factor in the main event before winding up sixth in the end.
Travis Saurer. Stormy Scott, Dereck Ramirez and Ricky Thornton Jr. completed the top ten.
Two more nights of racing remain at the Ark-La-Tex Speedway. On Friday, hot laps begin at 7 and the green flag unfurls at 7:30. USMTS Modifieds will compete for $3,000 to win while Limited Mods will battle for $500 to win and Factory Stocks $400 to win. Grandstand tickets are $20, kids ages 11-16 are $10 and children ages 10 and under get in for free. Pit passes are $35.
Saturday’s finale will see hot laps start at 6 p.m. with racing at 6:30. USMTS Modifieds will race for $4,000 to win with both Limited Mods and Factory Stocks paying $600 to win and Pro-Mods joining the card for $300 to win. Grandstand tickets are $20, kids ages 11-16 are $10 and children ages 10 and under get in for free. Pit passes are $40.
Pit gates open at 2 p.m. and the grandstands open at 5 p.m. both days.
The Ark-La-Tex Speedway is located 0.6 mile south of SR 2 on SR 1, then 0.7 mile west on Airport Rd., then 2.2 miles south on Boyter Lane Rd. For race day information, call the track hotline at 318-375-3470 or click www.arklatexspeedway.net to visit them online.
For unfortunate fans unable to attend one or both of these blockbuster events, every lap of every race every day will be broadcast live at www.RacinDirt.com/Live.
To learn more about the United States Modified Touring Series, visit www.usmts.com online or call 515-832-7944. You can also like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/usmts, follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/usmts and Instagram at www.instagram.com/usmts or subscribe to our YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/usmtstv. Keep up to speed with everything USMTS by joining our email list at www.usmts.com/subscribe.
-USMTS Press Release & Photo
PRODUCTION JARS “A” MAIN (30 laps):
1. (2) 1st Johnny Scott, Las Cruces, N.M., GRT/Durham, $2000.
2. (1) 19r Ryan Gustin, Marshalltown, Iowa, Hughes/Mullins, $1500.
3. (3) 12 Jason Hughes, Watts, Okla., Hughes/Mullins, $1000.
4. (13) 97 Cade Dillard, Robeline, La., MBCustom/ASI, $800.
5. (8) 8 Kyle Strickler (R), Mooresville, N.C., Longhorn/VED, $700.
6. (14) 75 Terry Phillips, Springfield, Mo., GRT/Durham, $600.
7. (18) 1s Travis Saurer (R), Elizabeth, Minn., MBCustom/Dakota, $500.
8. (10) 2s Stormy Scott, Las Cruces, N.M., GRT/Mullins, $450.
9. (7) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla., LG2/Cornett, $400.
10. (6) 20rt Ricky Thornton Jr., Chandler, Ariz., Hughes/Mullins, $400.
11. (17) 21 Chris Brown, Spring, Texas, MBCustom/Durham, $400.
12. (15) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa, VanderBuilt/Sput’s, $400.
13. (4) 4 Billy Vogel (R), West Fargo, N.D., LG2/Durham, $300.
14. (11) 78 Trevor Egbert, Salado, Texas, GRT/Mullins, $275.
15. (5) 5 Jon Mitchell, Texarkana, Texas, MBCustom/CB, $250.
16. (23) 91 R.C. Whitwell (R), Tucson, Ariz., GRT/GMPP, $250.
17. (9) 85 Thomas Tillison Jr., Wellston, Okla., Hughes/Geddes, $250.
18. (16) 91 Joe Duvall, Claremore, Okla., MBCustom/Sput’s, $250.
19. (24) 6x Kyle Pleasant, Natchitoches, La., MBCustom/Hatfield, $250.
20. (12) 10 Tye Clampitt, Henderson, Texas, GRT/Sput’s, $200.
21. (19) 33f Jardin Fuller (R), Memphis, Mo., Hughes/Mullins, $250.
22. (20) 7 Sean Gaddis (R), Diana, Texas, MBCustom/PTS, $250.
23. (21) 2g Kenny Gaddis, Diana, Texas, MBCustom/PTS, $250.
24. (22) 34 Mickey Lassiter (R), Piedmont, Okla., Hughes/Sput’s, $250.