Opening the evening’s festivities, the Pro Late Model 30 lap main only seven of the nine entrants able to make the call. Rich Boal of Plymouth overtook early leader Brian McFadden of South Bend near the halfway point and won the event going away. McFadden held on for second over Rodney Smith of Elkhart and Danny Brown Jr of LaPorte. Danny Brown Sr of New Carlisle was next ahead of Billy Stevenson of Rolling Prairie and Jimmy Klimowicz of South Bend. Smith took the heat race over Brown Jr and Boal.
In the Mini Stock 25 lap feature, the largest field of the year took the green from starter Mike Stutsman. South Bend’s Howie Fisette took advantage of his front row starting position and jumped out to an early lead before Zachery Newgent of South Bend and LaPorte hot shoe, Jason Cogswell motored past. As Cogswell attempted to get around Newgent, the pair came together and spun in turn one, relegating both to the tail. As Cogswell made his move back toward the front, a miscue with a slower car caused a cut tire, ending his night. Lap after lap, Fisette led as Newgent slowly worked back through traffic. On the final lap, Newgent barely got by, nipping Fisette at the line and taking his second win of the year. For Howie, it was his best finish to date as Ryne Balsley of Plymouth was third ahead of Kevin Davis of South Bend and Chad Lindsey of LaPorte. Ed Martz of Niles was next while Terry Kline of Centreville, MI, Jason Harman of Elkhart, Joe Bucker of Niles and Cogswell rounded out the top ten. Aaron Zimmerman took the win in heat one over Newgent and Lindsey while Cogswell took heat two over Kevin Davis and Balsley.
The Bellman Oil Outlaw Late Model feature event saw Charlie Hanna of Goshen leading all 30 laps to take the win over Kenny Lollar Jr of Buchanan and Cory Pressler of South Bend. Defending series champion, Mike Tutino of Walkerton was next over Fred Malecki of Elkhart, making his return to competition following a serious crash earlier in the season. Jerry Zachary of Dowagiac, Brandon Zachary of PawPaw, Scott Ross of Plymouth, Nick Kretchmer of Granger and Rick Hahn Jr or Indianapolis completed the top ten. In heat race action, Jerry Zachary took heat one over Ross and Robert Haisley of South Bend while Brandon Zachary took heat two over Hahn and Tutino.
The always competitive Street Stock 25 lap feature saw Mark Swan of Mishawaka benefitting fromt he ‘luck of the draw’ as he lined up with a pole starting position. As Swan led, the other drivers jockeyed for position behind him. At the finish, Vernon Knight of Michigan City took home second over A.J. Lubelski of Walkerton and South Bend drivers, Richie Nyari and Ronnie McLean. Scott Fairchild of Mishawaka was next with Doug Fox of South Bend, Rich Hensley of South Bend, Jay Coffin of Hamlet and Addison Davis of North Liberty rounding out the top ten. As the checkered flag flew, Davis’ engine exploded, resulting in a lengthy cleanup of the racing surface. In heat race action, Fairchild topped Fox and Knight in heat one while Coffin took the win in heat two over Tom Taylor of Michigan City and Derek Wunder of South Bend.
The Front Wheel Drive cars always put on an exciting race and this night was not exception. From her second row starting position, third generation driver, Jasmine Schafer moved to the point and held on to take a very close win ahead of some of the best FWD drivers in the area. Sean Stuart of North Liberty battled Kyle O’Dell of Plymouth for second with James Trussell of Niles and Mike Long of South Bend in fifth. Helmut Forstinger JR, Jason Horton and Ronnie Holaway, all of South Bend were next as Bryant Ragsdale of Mishawka and Doug Close of Elkhart completed the top ten. Ragsdale won heat one over Matt Maurer of Granger and Trussell while O’Dell scored the win in heat two over Drew Davis and Horton.
Closing out the night, the Hornets took to the track for their 15 lap main with Eryn Hartz of South Bend taking his first feature win in convincing fashion over Derek Danley of Mishawaka and Bobby Alwine of Bremen. Richele Wolkens of Niles, driving the Martz Racing house car was fourth with Terry Britain Jr of South Bend and Lizzy Wolkens of Niles following. Dominic Yankauskas of Michigan City, Scott Binkley of Goshen and Michael Werntz of South Bend rounded out the field. Hartz also took the heat race win ahead of Yankauskas and Britain.
This Friday night will feature “Kid’s Night” with special activities planned for our younger fans. Big wheel races along with a special “Soap Box Derby” are on tap. For the Soap Box race, kids are asked to decorate a cardboard box as a race car. They will then wear that box for a special race from turn four to the start finish line. A good time is certain to be had by all.
With just five Friday night races remaining, bring a friend and come on out for some of the best racing around. Gates open at 5 with racing set to go at 8 pm. Adults are just $12 with kids 6-12 admitted for only $5 and those 5 & under are free with an adult. Small (six pack type) coolers are welcome but NO alcohol or glass containers are allowed. Tell your friends, you neighbors, your in-laws, your outlaws, your brother’s girlfriend’s sister’s cousin’s uncle. Tell everyone you know and we will see you at the races.
Pro Late Models:
1) Rich Boal – Plymouth, IN
2) Brian McFadden – South Bend, IN
3) Rodney Smith – Elkhart, IN
1) Rodney Smith – Elkhart, IN
2) Danny Brown Jr – LaPorte, IN
3) Rich Boal – Plymouth, IN
1) Zachery Newgent – South Bend, IN
2) Howie Fisette – South Bend, IN
3) Ryne Balsley – Plymouth, IN
1) Aaron Zimmerman – Shipshewana, IN
2) Zachery Newgent – South Bend, IN
3) Chad Lindsey – LaPorte, IN
1) Jason Cogswell – LaPorte, IN
2) Kevin Davis – South Bend, IN
3) Ryne Balsley – Plymouth, IN
Bellman Oil Outlaw Late Models:
1) Charlie Hanna – Goshen, IN
2) Kenny Lollar Jr – Buchanan, MI
3) Cory Pressler – South Bend, IN
1) Jerry Zachary – Dowagiac, MI
2) Scott Ross – Plymouth, IN
3) Robert Haisley – South Bend, IN
1) Brandon Zachary – Paw Paw, MI
2) Rich Hahn Jr – Indianapolis, IN
3) Mike Tutino – Walkerton, IN
1) Mark Swan – Mishawaka, IN
2) Vernon Knight – Michigan City, IN
3) A.J. Lubelski – Walkerton, IN
1) Scott Fairchild – Mishawaka, IN
2) Doug Fox – South Bend, IN
3) Vernon Knight – Michigan City, IN
1) Jay Coffin – Hamlet, IN
2) Tom Taylor – Michigan City, IN
3) Derek Wunder – South Bend, IN
Front Wheel Drives:
1) Jasmine Schafer – Bremen, IN
2) Sean Stuart – North Liberty, IN
3) Kyle O’Dell – Plymouth, IN
1) Bryant Ragsdale – Mishawaka, IN
2) Matt Maurer – Granger, IN
3) James Trussell – Niles, MI
1) Kyle O’Dell – Plymouth, IN
2) Drew Davis – South Bend, IN
3) Jason Horton – South Bend, IN
1) Eryn Hartz – South Bend, IN
2) Derek Danley – Mishawaka, IN
3) Bobby Alwine – Bremen, IN
1) Eryn Hartz – South Bend, IN
2) Dominic Yankauskas – Michigan City, IN
3) Terry Britain Jr – South Bend, IN