AMARILLO, Texas — Dereck Ramirez disposed of Jake Gallardo on lap 11 of 40 at the Route 66 Motor Speedway on Saturday night, and then blasted his way through the field to score a $3,000 payday and the seventh win of his USMTS career.
It was the fifth win in the Lonestar State for the 32-year-old from Woodward, Texas, and his second of the Casey’s General Stores USMTS National Championship powered by Summit in 2019.
Earning the Sybesma Graphics Pole Award for a second straight night, Gallardo took control at the drop of the green flag while Ramirez, who started fourth, quickly moved to his rear bumper.
Ramirez snuck by to lead lap 7 but Gallardo fought back to regain the lead. It was short-lived, however, as Ramirez was back in control for good three laps later.
With just one caution early in the contest, Ramirez was able to decimate the field and lapped all but the top seven cars.
Meanwhile, Jake O’Neil nabbed his third runner-up finish in the last five events while Rodney Sanders overcame a tough starting position for a second straight night and finished third.
Kale Westover came from the 13th starting spot and held off Gallardo for fourth following a spirited battle between those two, but Carlos Ahumada Jr. was the FK Rod ends Hard Charger Award winner for racing to sixth after starting 21st on the grid.
Terry Phillips, Philip Houston, Adam Kates and Dee Gossett rounded out the top 10.
On to Wisconsin: The second crown jewel of the 2019 campaign takes place next Thursday, Friday and Saturday, June 13-15, at the Cedar Lake Speedway in New Richmond, Wis., for the 20th Annual Masters presented by Allstar Performance.
Both USMTS and Super Late Model competitors will be battling for $3,000 to win Thursday and $5,000 to win Friday with a whopping $10,000 top prize up for grabs on Saturday night. USRA Late Models will also be running all three days.
The pits open at 2 p.m. and grandstands open at 5 with racing at 7 each night.
Spectator tickets are $25 Thursday, $30 Friday and $35 Saturday. Students (ages 6-16) are $12 Thursday, $15 Friday and $17 Saturday. Kids (5 & under) are free each day. Pit passes are $35 Thursday, $35 Friday and $45 Saturday.
If you are unable to attend, RacinDirt will have the entire production live via pay per view.
The Cedar Lake Speedway is a high-banked 3/8-mile clay oval located 1.0 mile east of SR 35 on SR 64, then 4.2 miles north on CR C to CR CC, then left 1.8 miles. For more information, call (612) 363-0479 or (715) 248-7119 or check out cedarlakespeedway.com.
To learn more about the United States Modified Touring Series, visit USMTS.com. You can also like the USMTS on Facebook, visit us on Instagram, follow us on Twitter, connect with us on LinkedIn and watch us on YouTube. Keep up to speed with everything USMTS and subscribe to the USMTS e-Newsletter.
SUMMIT RACING EQUIPMENT “A” MAIN (40 laps):
1. (4) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla., Hughes/Cornett, 40, $3000.
2. (8) 0 Jake O’Neil, Tucson, Ariz., LG2/Cornett, 40, $1700.
3. (11) 20 Rodney Sanders, Happy, Texas, MBCustoms/Hatfield, 40, $1100.
4. (13) 15 Kale Westover (R), Blair, Okla., WFRC/Knowles, 40, $900.
5. (1) J17 Jake Gallardo, Las Cruces, N.M., GR2/ProPower, 40, $800.
6. (21) 65x Carlos Ahumada Jr. (R), El Paso, Texas, GRT/BMS, 40, $800.
7. (10) 75 Terry Phillips, Springfield, Mo., GRT/Durham, 40, $650.
8. (17) 71 Philip Houston, Odessa, Texas, MBCustoms/KPE, 39, $600.
9. (14) 23 Adam Kates, Tonganoxie, Kan., LG2/Speedway, 39, $550.
10. (6) 10 Dee Gossett, Amarillo, Texas, MBCustoms/Carroll’s, 39, $350.
11. (7) 9 Jimmy Ray, Las Cruces, N.M., AOS/AOS, 39, $450.
12. (9) 88R A.J. Vasquez, Garden City, Mich., Hughes/Farris, 39, $300.
13. (20) 23g Jim Gress (R), Amarillo, Texas, GRT/McCabe, 37, $275.
14. (3) 30 Travis Tipton (R), Duncan, Ariz., Shaw/Tipton, 37, $250.
15. (22) 55G Braden Gress (R), Amarillo, Texas, GRT/McCabe, 37, $250.
16. (16) 23L Logan Robertson, Shamrock, Texas, Victory/Hatfield, 31, $325.
17. (12) 99n Matt Newkirk (R), Amarillo, Texas, Hughes/Newkirk, 26, $250.
18. (15) 2x Gene Weaver, Amarillo, Texas, GRT/PPE, 20, $250.
19. (2) 31 Neal DeBord (R), Amarillo, Texas, BillsBuilt/Blevins, 14, $250.
20. (19) 1T T.C. Hogan (R), Amarillo, Texas, GRT/Kuntz, 12, $250.
21. (23) 62 Hunter Marriott (R), Brookfield, Mo., Rage/KSE, 8, $300.
22. (5) 91 Joe Duvall, Claremore, Okla., MBCustoms/ChevPerf, 7, $300.
23. (18) 19sb Lance Mari, Imperial, Calif., MRT/Yeoman, 5, $300.
DNS – 19r Ryan Gustin, Marshalltown, Iowa, Hughes/TriStar, 0, $200.
-USMTS Press Release
-Photo credit: Adam Mollenkopf