Racing Update: SRL Winter Showdown Postponed

The SRL Winter Showdown at Kern County Raceway has been postponed to an undetermined date as a result of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.


Last Wednesday, California Governor Gavin Newsom ordered Californians to postpone or cancel gatherings of 250 or more people.  On Monday, the SPEARS Southwest Tour Series provided the following statement on its website:


“To the Teams and Fans of the SPEARS Southwest Tour Series and Spears Manufacturing Modified Series:


“At this point, we would prefer to move forward with this weekend’s Winter Showdown and we want to bring some normalcy to what is currently going on.  But we have little or no control over the decisions being made by those who govern our state.


“With that being said, we don’t want our race teams and fans who will travel long distances to come and support the Winter Showdown, many of them leaving their homes as early as today, to have to turn around and go back home if the state mandates a ban on events of this type.


“We wanted to stay the course, but once decisions were made to close schools and restrict restaurants, the likelihood of a forced cancelation has increased and with that we feel it is best to postpone the Winter Showdown to another weekend in the future.”


The next scheduled event for the series is Saturday, April 25 at Irwindale Speedway (CA).  Kern County’s next racing event is scheduled for April 4, featuring racing on both the pavement and dirt tracks at the facility.


Stay tuned to Speed51 for continued updates and coverage during the coronavirus outbreak.


-Story by: Zach Evans, Speed51 Content Supervisor – Twitter: @ztevans

-Photo credit: Speed51 Photo

Racing Update: SRL Winter Showdown Postponed