2020 NORTHWEST SUPER LATE MODEL SERIES Inc.
Race No. 1 of 2020 Season
WHERE: South Sound Speedway, Rochester, Wash.
WHEN: August 15, 2020
DISTANCE: 100 Laps/37.5 Miles
SANCTION: Northwest Super Late Model Series Inc.(NWSLMS)
PROMOTER: Behn Family
CONTACTS: Nick Behn, South Sound Speedway (360) 273-6420
Jarrod Goodwin, NWSLMS Director (509) 879-5082
THE RACETRACK: South Sound Speedway has seven degrees of banking on its .375-mile paved oval.
2019 TOP-10 IN THE EVENT-
This will be the first time the series has run a 100-lap race at South Sound Speedway. Alan Cress won the South Sound 125 last season.
RACE TO HONOR A FRIEND-
Originally billed as the Kick-Off 100, the race has been retitled to the Wofford 100 in honor of SLM driver, J.C. Wofford, who passed away on August 5. In his driving career, the Wapato, Washington native picked up two wins on the series behind the wheel of his No. 100 Ford, the Oregon 200 at Hermiston Raceway (2014) and the Stateline Speedway Idaho 200 (2015). Wofford also finished inside the Top-5 running order in three of his six starts.
FINAL 2019 TOP-10 CHAMPIONSHIP POINTS STANDINGS-
- Trevor Christiani
- Alan Cress
- Garrett Evans
- Tristan Haider (Jefferson Racing ROTY Winner)
- Christopher Kalsch
- Trenton Moriarity
- Robert Presley
- Chad Hinkle
- Dave Garber
- Mitch Kleyn
READY TO TAKE THE GREEN FLAG-
- Four of the 2019 Top 10 drivers in the Championship Standings have pre-entered the Wofford 100 (Cress, Kalsch, Haider, and Presley).
- Gracin Raz will be aiming for two consecutive NWSLMS season-opening victories, as the Oregon driver has also filed an entry for the Wofford 100.
- Two-Time Series champion, Britney Zamora, who won the most recent late model race at South Sound back on Aug. 1, is also on the pre-entry drivers list.
- NASCAR driver, Tyler Tanner, will be making his 2020 NWSLMS debut at the Wofford 100. During his career Tanner has made starts on the Menards Pro Series West circuit and the Gander Outdoors Truck Series. The third-generation racer also adds NASCAR Weekly Series titles to his credit.
- In the history of the series only three drivers have won a race at South Sound Speedway: Zamora, Cress and Mitch Kleyn.
- No fans will be in attendance for the series opener. The race will be live streamed across the South Sound Speedway Facebook page.
NWSLMS NOTE OF THE WEEK: THE WOFFORD 100 IS A SPRINT RACE-
This will be one of the shortest races in the series history in terms of lap count. From a mileage standpoint the distance of 37.5-miles is akin to driving from South Sound Speedway to Olympia, Wash. and back.
NWSLMS RACE DAY SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:
Saturday, August 15, 2020
9:30 a.m. Gates/Tech Open
10:45-11a.m. Practice Session #1
Approx. 1:30-1:45 p.m. Practice Session #2
3:30-3:50 p.m. Practice Session #3
4:50 p.m. NWSLMS Single Car Qualifying
7:00 p.m. NWSLMS Wofford 100
NEXT UP FOR THE NORTHWEST SUPER LATE MODEL SERIES-
The uncertainty of COVID-19 and its impact to racing schedules across the country has also thrown a curve at the series. Tentatively, the next scheduled race is the Neal Newberry 125 at Wenatchee Valley Super Oval. The race is set for Saturday, September 26.
ABOUT THE NORTHWEST SUPER LATE MODEL SERIES-
The Northwest Super Late Model Series is the premier regional touring Super Late Model series in the Northwest. The series has many valued partners including Hoosier Racing Tire, McGunegill Engine Performance, AR Bodies, Joes Racing Products, Penske Racing Shocks, Accelerated Graphics, Five Star Bodies, AFCO/Longacre Racing Products, Wheel Chill, Atomic Screenprinting and Embroidery, Franks Racing Radio, BLP, Jefferson Racing, The Ti Company, and Pacific Steel Structures LLC. For more information on the series visit www.nwslmseries.com or on Facebook and Twitter.
-Northwest Super Late Model Series Press Release
-Photo credit: MEWright