Plattsburgh, NY – Joey Polewarczyk, Jr. of Hudson, NH capped off his 2014 American Canadian Tour title with a win in the season finale Fall Foliage 200 at Airborne Speedway in Plattsburgh, NY on Saturday, September 27. Polewarczyk used the high lane to get around Quebec’s Patrick Laperle on the final restart with just over 20 laps remaining in the event to take the lead and become the only repeat winner on the 2014 American Canadian Tour and claim his first career championship.
Polewarczyk took the green flag from the eighth starting position and quickly worked his way for the front as the 37 car field ran under green for the first 67 laps. Kyle Welch and Bobby Therrien both took turns leading until Wayne Helliwell, Jr. claimed the top spot on lap 25. That setup a battle between Helliwell and Polewarczyk for the next 95 laps.
The second caution of the 200 lap event flew on lap 120 for a mandatory fuel pit stop. After the race returned to green, it was the Laperle and Polewarczyk show for the final 80 laps. The duo swapped the lead a total of 6 times over the remainder of the event. The fifth and final caution flag flew with just over 20 laps left and Polewarczyk took advantage in the high lane on the restart. Laperle tried everything he could through the final laps and was right on his bumper at the finish, but Polewarczyk held him off to take the win.
Eight-time ACT Champion Brian Hoar completed the podium, while Travis Stearns and Jeff White rounded out the top five. Jimmy Hebert, Dave Pembroke, Donald Theetge, Ben Ashline, and Jean-Francois Dery earned top ten finishes.
All 37 cars in attendance started the 200 lap feature. A total of 14 cars completed the race on the lead lap. The race saw just five cautions and was completed in just over an hour and a half.
Polewarczyk’s second career Fall Foliage win brings the 2014 American Canadian Tour season to a close. Many of the ACT stars will be back in action next week, however, for the 52nd running of the People’s United Bank Milk Bowl at Thunder Road in Barre, VT. Booth Bros./HP Hood Qualifying Day will be on Saturday, October 4 with the three segment Milk Bowl on Sunday, October 5.
-American Canadian Tour Press Release. Photo Credit: Travis Ingerson/VTMotorMag
ACT Fall Foliage 200 Unofficial Results
American Canadian Tour Late Models
Airborne Speedway – Plattsburgh, NY
Saturday, September 27, 2014
Pos. (Start) Driver, Hometown, Laps Completed
1. (8) Joey Polewarczyk Jr., Hudson, NH, 200 Laps
(14) Patrick Laperle, St-Denis, QC, 200 Laps
(1) Brian Hoar, Williston, VT, 200 Laps
(11) Travis Stearns, Auburn, ME, 200 Laps
(3) Jeff White, Winthrop, ME, 200 Laps
(7) Jimmy Hebert, Williamstown, VT, 200 Laps
(22) Dave Pembroke, Middlesex, VT, 200 Laps
(32) Donald Theetge, Boischatel, QC, 200 Laps
(23) Ben Ashline, Pittston, ME, 200 Laps
(17) Jean-Francois Dery, Quebec, QC, 200 Laps
(15) Scott Dragon, Colchester, VT, 200 Laps
(18) Ray Parent, Tiverton, RI, 200 Laps
(10) Alex Labbe, St-Albert, QC, 200 Laps
(4) Bobby Therrien, Hinesburg, VT, 200 Laps
(9) Emily Packard, E. Montpelier, VT, 199 Laps
(12) #Brandon Atkins, AuSable Forks, NY, 199 Laps
(16) Nick Lagoy, Plattsburgh, NY, 199 Laps
(24) Rowland Robinson Jr., Steuben, ME, 199 Laps
(13) #Mike Ziter, Williamstown, VT, 199 Laps
(34) Daniel Descoste, Saint Joseph, QC, 198 Laps
(31) Stephane Descoste, Oka, QC, 198 Laps
(33) Derek White, Kahnawake, QC, 198 Laps
(28) #Matt Anderson, Franklin, NH, 198 Laps
(25) Karl Allard, St-Felicien, QC, 197 Laps
(27) Claude Leclerc, Lanoraie, QC, 194 Laps
(35) Jimmy Linardy, Somerville, MA, 193 Laps
(6) Jonathan Bouvrette, Blainville, QC, 191 Laps
(37) Tom Eriksen, Jr., Vergennes, VT, 178 Laps
(21) Bucko Branham, Plattsburgh, NY, 163 Laps
(5) Wayne Helliwell Jr., Dover, NH, 162 Laps
(29) #Brian Tagg, Oxford, MA, 161 Laps
(19) Jean-Paul Cyr, Milton, VT, 160 Laps
(2) Kyle Welch, Newport, NH, 159 Laps
(26) #Eric Badore, Milton, VT, 159 Laps
(30) Walt Hammond, Canaan, NH, 118 Laps
(20) Josh Masterson, Bristol, VT, 82 Laps
(36) Gaetan Gaudreault, Quebec, QC, 31 Laps
Lap Leaders: Kyle Welch, 1-16; Bobby Therrien, 17-24; Wayne Helliwell, Jr., 25-43; Joey Polewarczyk, Jr., 44; Helliwell, 45-120; Polewarczyk, 121-125; Patrick Laperle, 126-134; Polewarczyk, 135-143; Laperle, 144-146; Polewarczyk, 147-153; Laperle, 154-179; Polewarczyk, 180-200.
Time of Race: 1:34:02
Margin of Victory: .137 seconds
Cautions: 5 (laps 67, 120, 132, 163, 177)