Christian PaHud is living the dream.
The 21-year-old from Daytona, Ohio, earned a NASCAR K&N Pro Series West start by virtue of winning the 2014 PEAK Stock Car Dream Challenge. Saturday night, he converted that opportunity into his first NASCAR victory in the Toyota/NAPA Auto Parts 150 at All American Speedway.
PaHud, driving the No. 99 PEAK Toyota for Bill McAnally Racing, won the Coors Light Pole Award earlier in the day. In a race that featured six lead changes between four drivers on the banked .333-mile oval, he held off a late charge by Sunoco Rookie of the Year James Bickford to claim the victory.
PaHud led twice for a race-high 59 laps and took the lead for good from Brandon McReynolds on a Lap 126 restart. Bickford got by McReynolds but could not wrestled the lead away from PaHud.
McReynolds settled for third. Bickford, fastest in practice, took the lead from PaHud on the start and led the first 29 laps. McReynolds, looking for his first series win, led twice for 49 laps.
Championship points leader Greg Pursley, who led for 13 laps in the middle of the race, finished fourth and David Mayhew was fifth.
Rookies Joey Licata, Gracin Raz and Nicole Behar were sixth through eighth. Dylan Lupton recovered from a mid-race spin for ninth and two-time Daytona 500 winner Michael Waltrip was 10th.
Pursley, the 2011 series champion, increased his points lead to 21 over Lupton and 25 over McReynolds with one race remaining.
PaHud is the third driver to win in the No. 99 for BMR. Last year’s PEAK contest winner, Patrick Staropoli, won at California’s Irwindale Raceway in March. And Chris Eggleston took home the win at Colorado National Speedway in July.
The Toyota/NAPA Auto Parts 150 will air on FOX Sports 1 on Friday at 1:30 p.m. ET.
The NASCAR K&N Pro Series West will conclude the season in the Casino Arizona 100 at Phoenix International Raceway on Thursday, Nov. 6.
– NASCAR IMC press release. Photo credit: Noah Graham/Getty Images for NASCAR
NASCAR Integrated Marketing Communications
NASCAR K&N PRO SERIES WEST-Toyota/NAPA Auto Parts 150 Results
At All American Speedway
Lap length: 0.333 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (1) Christian PaHud, Dayton, Ohio, Toyota, 150 laps, 53.327 mph.
2. (2) James Bickford, Napa, Calif., Ford, 150.
3. (4) Brandon McReynolds, Mooresville, N.C., Toyota, 150.
4. (7) Greg Pursley, Newhall, CA, Ford, 150.
5. (6) David Mayhew, Atascadero, CA, Chevrolet, 150.
6. (11) Joey Licata, Lake Balboa, Calif., Toyota, 150.
7. (9) Gracin Raz, Lake Oswego, Ore., Toyota, 150.
8. (15) Nicole Behar, Spokane, WA, Toyota, 150.
9. (5) Dylan Lupton, Wilton, Calif., Ford, 150.
10. (13) Michael Waltrip, Owensboro, Ky., Toyota, 150.
11. (17) Carlos Vieira, Atwater, Calif., Chevrolet, 149.
12. (18) John Wood, Eagle, ID, Toyota, 149.
13. (20) Zack Huffman, Manteca, Calif., Ford, 149.
14. (14) Braeden Havens, Spokane, WA, Chevrolet, 149.
15. (21) Dave Smith, Novato, Calif., Chevrolet, 149.
16. (12) Alex Schutte, Redding, Calif., Chevrolet, 149.
17. (3) Thomas Martin, Auburn, Calif., Chevrolet, 149.
18. (10) Luis Tyrrell, Brisbane, Calif., Chevrolet, 148.
19. (19) Rich DeLong III, Santa Clarita, Calif., Chevrolet, 143.
20. (8) Jacob Gomes, Manteca, Calif., Chevrolet, 119, engine.
21. (22) Jack Sellers, Sacramento, CA, Chevrolet, 86, suspension.
22. (16) Anthony Garbarino, Manosque, France, Chevrolet, 33.
Time of Race: 0 hours 56 minutes 12 seconds
Margin of Victory: .485 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: C.PaHud * (87.882 mph, 13.641 seconds)
Caution Flags: 9 for 54 laps.
Lead Changes: 6 among 4 drivers.
Lap Leaders: C. PaHud 0; J. Bickford 1-29; B. McReynolds 30-66; G. Pursley 67-79; C. PaHud 80-114; B. McReynolds 115-126; C. PaHud 127-150.
Standings: 1. G. Pursley, 500; 2. D. Lupton, 479; 3. B. McReynolds, 475; 4. D. Mayhew, 455; 5. J. Bickford, 412; 6. T. Martin, 401; 7. J. Wood, 364; 8. R. DeLong III, 339; 9. J. Sellers, 325; 10. A. Giannone, 288.