On-Track Collision Leads to Driver/Official Altercation

As temperatures reached into the 90’s, it was a hot Saturday both on and off the track at Fairgrounds Speedway Nashville.  The night reached its boiling point during the Pro Late Model race when an on-track incident between the leaders led to a physical confrontation between one driver and a track official.


The heated moment occurred on lap 67 when former All American 400 winner Dillon Oliver and defending Fairgrounds Speedway Nashville track champion Michael House tangled on the frontstretch and took each other out of the race.


Oliver immediately got out of his car and went after House before being intercepted by a track official.  The altercation became physical while the official was trying to hold Oliver back, which resulted in both men wrestling to the ground.  Everybody involved would eventually be separated.


Video of the confrontation can be viewed on Speed51’s PFC Brakes Twitter feed by clicking here.


Oliver said the events that took place on the track was a culmination of what had happened throughout the race.


“He got by me on the restart where he jumped me so I let him go,” Oliver told Speed51.com.  “We had another restart, he started on the inside and we went down in the corner and he run me straight up the race track, way up the race track.  I tried to turn under him and when I got under him he ran me down on the backstretch, so I let him go.  I got back to him, passed him, left him tons of room.


“We had this last restart, we took off.  We were running good, I was trying to keep a good, steady pace and he’s charging it off in the corner like he had.  When he ran off in the corner and ran into me getting in and I wiggled up, but for sixty-seven laps I’d been driving in and rolling down.  When I rolled down a little bit, we met in the middle but I didn’t get a chance to gather it up and he drove into me a second time and that’s what all it was to it.  We’ve had a past and every time we’re on the racetrack together he f—— runs into me.  That’s all there is to it.”


The defending track champion saw the events differently than his counterpart.  While he acknowledged possible impatient driving from Oliver throughout, he ultimately chalked the incident up to a racing incident.


“It was hard racing,” House said.  “I passed him earlier in the night just to size him up and we got around him easy.  He was running what I felt was too hard for here so I let him go.  When I went to go back around him, I felt like he pinched me down and we ran out of real estate.  I hate it happened, I damn sure don’t want to tear cars up.  I’m the only one in the shop that fixes them and works on them.  I hate it happened, we had a really good car and I hate all the work’s down the drain.  We’ll be back and hope for another good run.”


After Oliver and House tangled, it would be Davey Coble inheriting the lead on the restart.  He would fend off repeated attempts from 2017 track champion Casey Roderick over the final 30 laps to take his first win at the historic Fairgrounds Speedway Nashville since 2013.  After being involved in accidents the first two races in Nashville this season, it was sweet redemption for the Madison, Tennessee driver.


“Man, it definitely got wild,” Coble said.  “I thought we’d have a four-car breakaway.  When they got together I thought it was going to be me and Jackson.  I didn’t know where Casey (Roderick) came, he came out of nowhere.  That was everything I’ve got, I don’t have no more.  It took everything we had to beat him.  It’s special to us but we’ll come back and try again.”


Defending Southern Super Series champion Casey Roderick finished second for the fifth time this season between Pro and Super Late Model racing.  After a trying year so far in the Pro Late Model, he considers the runner-up to be a start as he looks for his first win since the Baby Rattler back in March.


“We’ve been struggling up here all year long, and really everywhere we’ve gone in the Pro,” Roderick said.  “The car’s just not in the race track like it needs to be and we were sliding all over the place around the corner and tight in the middle.  We’ve got to do something to figure it out, but it’s good to get a second-place finish I guess.  I wish we could’ve won, but Davey was just too good off the corner there for us to get to him.  Just better luck next time.”


Austin Brawley finished third, followed by two-time runner-up this season Jackson Boone and Daniel Bolden rounding out the top five.


Fairgrounds Speedway Nashville will have nearly a month off before their next race on Saturday, August 10 for Family Night.


-Story by: Koty Geyer, Speed51.com State Editor (IN & MI)

-Photo credit: Speed51.com

On-Track Collision Leads to Driver/Official Altercation