RACE FACTS & NOTES OF INTEREST
WHAT: Neal Newberry 125
WHERE: Wenatchee Valley Super Oval in East Wenatchee, WA
WHEN: September 10, 2016
DISTANCE: 125 Laps/ 37.5 Miles
SANCTION: Northwest Super Late Model Series (NWSLMS)
PROMOTER: George Wade, WVSO
THE RACETRACK: The high-banked .250-mile oval is known as one of the fastest and nicest short tracks in the country. The facility is located on the plateau above East Wenatchee, WA with snowcapped mountains in the background. The track is a shared facility with the NCW Gun Club.
2016 Northwest Super Late Model Series Top 10 Points
1. Garrett Evans 297
2. Ryan Wells 242
3. Braeden Havens 238
4. Mitch Kleyn 231
5. Brittney Zamora 222
6. Ed Thomsen 205
7. Glenn Knutson 176
8. Clint Habart 169
9. Dave Garber 163
10. Blake Williams 161
Top 10 at Neal Newberry 150 in 2015
1. Owen Riddle
2. Braeden Havens
3. Garrett Evans
4. Josh Roberts
5. Glenn Knutson
6. Dave Garber
7. Nicole Behar
8. Mitch Kleyn
9. Tayler Riddle
10. Jason O’Neil
NOTES OF INTEREST:
• This will be the second trip to Wenatchee Valley Super Oval for the Northwest Super Late Model Series in 2016. Shelby Thompson won the Leonard Evans 150 back in April.
• Championship Wins- Garrett Evans won his previous two series championships with consistency in finishing in the top 5 but had no wins in the first two years. This season Evans is looking to three-peat based on four wins in six series races this year.
• Girl Power- For the second time in NWSMLS history three female drivers will start in a race. This weekend will showcase Jefferson Pitts Racing Rookie of the Year leader Brittney Zamora, 17, young gun Brooke Schimmell, 15, making just her second start in a SLM and returning to the series will be Evergreen Speedway standout Molly Helmuth, 21.
• Home Cooking- The return to Wenatchee means the return to the home track for series regulars Evans, Mitch Kleyn and Glenn Knutson. Evans has been on fire with wins but Kleyn has been coming on in the past 3 races with three top 10s including two Top-5 performances. Knutson is looking for a change of luck after having some mechanical issues last race. The 2015 series Rookie of the Year finished fifth in this race a year ago.
• Evergreen Invasion- Four Evergreen Speedway regulars will be making the trip to WVSO for the Neal Newberry 125 including Doni Wanat, Andy Sole, Tyler Tanner and Molly Helmuth.
• Coming North- Three drivers from the state of Oregon will be racing in the Neal Newberry 125 including Alan Cress from Stayton, OR making his return to the series. Willie Thompson of La Pine, OR and Andrew Koens of Roseburg, OR will both be making their series debut.
STAT OF THE WEEK:
• Keeping the Hardware Local- It’s been two years since a Wenatchee Area driver has won a NWSLMS Race at WVSO. This weekend seven drivers will be looking to keep the hardware in the Valley including past winners Evans, Shane Mitchell and Harris along with Knutson, Kleyn, Josh Roberts and Jan Evans.
UPCOMING ON THE NORTHWEST SUPER LATE MODEL SERIES:
The Northwest Super Late Model Series will head to the historic Yakima Speedway September 30th- October 2nd for the 29th Annual Fall Classic and 2016 NWSLMS Championship event. This race has seen over 35 cars each of the last 2 years. More information on www.yakimaspeedway.us
-Northwest Super Late Model Series Press Release
-Photo Credit: Northwest Super Late Model Series