DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – The NASCAR Whelen Modified and Whelen Southern Modified Tours will head to Tennessee’s Bristol Motor Speedway for Wednesday’s sixth annual Bush’s Beans 150 combination race. Below is a statistical look at the performance of tours and selected drivers at the track:
Bristol Race Setup:
- Doug Coby and Andy Seuss lead the NASCAR Whelen Modified and NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tours, respectively, in the championship standings entering Bristol. Both will vie for their first checkered flag at the “World’s Fastest Half Mile.”
- NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver Ryan Newman is the only one to reach Victory Lane twice at Bristol in a modified. He won the event in back-to-back seasons in 2010-11.
- Ted Christopher and Todd Szegedy have combined to lead 51-percent (376 of 735) of the all-time laps contested in this event, yet neither has reached Victory Lane. Christopher was the runner-up in 2009’s inaugural race while Szegedy has finished second in each of the last two years.
- Whelen Modified Tour drivers have won each of the 12 all-time, points-paying combination races with the Whelen Southern Modified Tour, including the previous five at Bristol.
At Bristol Motor Speedway:
- Groundbreaking for Bristol International Speedway, as Bristol Motor Speedway was originally known, took place in 1960. The track was an exact half-mile.
- First NASCAR Sprint Cup race was July 30, 1961; Jack Smith won the event (with relief from Johnny Allen).
- In the fall of 1969, the track was reshaped and re-measured to .533-miles.
- The name changed to Bristol International Raceway in 1978.
- The first night race was held in the fall of 1978.
- The surface was changed from asphalt to concrete in 1992.
- The name changed to Bristol Motor Speedway in May 1996.
- The track was resurfaced between races in 2007, and the turns were ground down last season to eliminate part of the progressive banking.
- There have been a total of 107 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, 64 NASCAR Nationwide Series, 16 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series and three NASCAR K&N Pro Series East races at the track entering this week.
- The format for the Bristol combination races sees the competitors from the NASCAR Whelen Modified and Whelen Southern Modified Tours compete for an overall checkered flag and purse, but earn points respective to their own tours. The highest-finishing driver from the tour that does not take the checkered flag is credited for a win for that tour.
- This will be the 12th all-time, points-paying combination race between the NWMT and NWSMT. There were six such events at Martinsville Speedway from 2005-10, and this will be the sixth at Bristol. The two tours have also competed in five non-points combo races on the short track at Daytona International Speedway, New Hampshire Motor Speedway and Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park in recent seasons.
Bristol Motor Speedway Data
Race: NWMT #10 of 14, NWSMT #7 of 14
Track Layout: .533-mile concrete oval
Race Length: 150 laps (79.95 miles)
Banking/Corners: 24-28 degrees
Banking/Straights: 4-8 degrees
Telecast: Aug. 31, 12 p.m. EDT, Fox Sports 1
Qualifying Record: Donny Lia (14.806 seconds, 129.596 mph – 8/21/13)
2013 Winners: Mike Stefanik (NWMT and overall) / Burt Myers (NWSMT)
2013 Polesitters: Donny Lia (NWMT and overall) / Tim Brown (NWSMT)
Category Leaders at BristolWins – NWMT & Overall
1. Ryan Newman … 2
2. Donny Lia … 1
Ron Silk … 1
Mike Stefanik … 1
Wins – NWSMT
1. George Brunnhoelzl III … 2
2. James Civali … 1
Frank Fleming … 1 Burt Myers … 1 Poles – NWMT & Overall
1. Justin Bonsignore … 1
Donny Lia … 1
Bobby Santos … 1
Ron Silk … 1
Poles – NWSMT
1. Tim Brown … 2
James Civali … 1
Ryan Newman … 2
Laps Led – Overall
1. Ted Christopher … 236
2. Todd Szegedy … 140
2. Donny Lia … 131
Laps Completed – Overall
1. Todd Szegedy … 735 (all)
2. Eric Goodale … 733
3. Jamie Tomaino … 703
Selected Driver Highlights:
NOTE: The following Bristol statistics are relative to the driver’s respective tour.
JR Bertuccio (NWSMT No. 21 Gershow Recycling/Hagerman Systems Chevrolet)
- Has a win and 12 top 10s in 32 career NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour starts.
- Ranks third in points this year with a win and four top fives in six races. The win came at Southern National Motorsports Park in March.
- Finished 12th among NWSMT competitors last year in his only previous start at Bristol Motor Speedway.
Danny Bohn (NWSMT No. 65 Rustoleum/Cedar Peaks Enterprises Chevrolet)
- The 2012 NWSMT Sunoco Rookie of the Year has two wins, three poles and 21 top 10s in 28 career NWSMT starts.
- Ranks fourth in points with a win and four top 10s in six races. The win came last time out at Bowman Gray Stadium.
- Finished second among NWSMT competitors as a rookie in 2012 in his only previous Bristol appearance.
Justin Bonsignore (NWMT No. 51 chem3.com Chevrolet)
- Has six wins, four poles and 41 top 10s in 69 career NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour starts. Three of his wins have come this year, and three have been earned at Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park.
- Ranks second in points, just three behind Doug Coby, with top fives in six of nine races. Won the Thompson opener, at Monadnock Speedway and again at Thompson last time out.
- Has a pole (2010), an average finish of fifth and a best result of second (2011) in four Bristol starts.
George Brunnhoelzl III (NWSMT No. 28 Composite Technology/Performance Technology Chevrolet)
- The 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2013 NWSMT champion, he has a tour record 21 wins with 22 poles and 69 top 10s in 85 career starts.
- Ranks second in points this year with a win and top fives in five of six races. Won at Langley Speedway in April.
- Earned NWSMT Bristol wins in 2009 and 2012, finished 10th in 2011 and fourth in 2013. Ran 20th there as a designated NWMT driver in 2010.
Ted Christopher (NWMT No. 13 Tick Free Organic Tick Control/CT&E Chevrolet)
- The 2008 NWMT champion has 42 wins, 24 poles and 190 top 10s in 344 career starts. His 42 wins rank third all-time and his 24 poles are eighth.
- Is looking to end a 38-race winless drought. It’s his longest such streak since the start of his career when his first win came in his 94th race.
- Ranks third in points with top 10s in all nine races this year with his new team, including three podiums.
- Has an average finish of 12th and a best result of second (2009) in four Bristol starts. Has led laps in three of those four appearances for a tour track record total of 236 laps.
Doug Coby (NWMT No. 2 Dunleavy’s Repair/HEX Performance Ford)
- The 2012 NWMT champion has 10 wins, four poles and 75 top 10s in 152 career starts.
- Is the season points leader by three tallies on Justin Bonsignore. Won the non-points UNOH Battle At The Beach on the short track at Daytona International Speedway in February and has podiums in five of the nine regular season races, including a win at Stafford in June.
- Has an average finish of 14th and a best result of 11th (2012) in three previous Bristol starts.
Luke Fleming (NWSMT No. 40 AutosByNelson.com/Koma Unwind Ford)
- The 2013 NWSMT Sunoco Rookie of the Year has a win and 11 top 10s in 20 career starts.
- Ranks fifth in points this year with five top 10s in six outings.
- Finished 29th overall last year in his Bristol debut. His uncle and crew chief, Frank Fleming, was the highest-finishing NWSMT driver at Bristol in 2011.
Cale Gale (NWSMT No. 95 Rheem Chevrolet)
- Has two poles and 15 top 10s in 60 combined starts between the NASCAR Nationwide Series and NASCAR Camping World Truck Series. This would be his Whelen Modified debut.
- Won the pole and finished fourth in his lone Bristol NNS start in 2008.
- Finished ninth at Bristol in the 2009 NCTWS race, and earned the pole there in 2012 before a 28th place finish.
Eric Goodale (NWMT No. 58 GAF Roofing/RBSCorp.com Chevrolet)
- Has a win, a pole and 32 top 10s in 82 career NWMT starts.
- Inherited the NWMT’s active starts streak lead, now at 80 races, with Ed Flemke Jr. not competing this year.
- Ranks 10th in points after nine events. His first career victory was earned in June at Riverhead Raceway.
- Among the drivers that have participated in all five previous Bristol races, he has the second-best average finish at 7.8. His best finish there is seventh, recorded in both 2010 and 2013.
Donny Lia (NWMT No. 4 Mystic Missile Racing Dodge)
- The 2007 and 2009 NWMT champion has 17 wins, 20 poles and 75 top 10s in 150 career starts.
- Ranks 11th in points with three top 10s and a best result of second at Waterford Speedbowl.
- Has a win (2009), a pole (2013) and an average finish of 11th in three previous NWMT Bristol starts.
- Recorded an average finish of 21st in two NCWTS starts at Bristol.
Burt Myers (NWSMT No. 1 CitruSafe/Speedway Auto Auction/Adam’s Ford)
- The 2010 NWSMT champion has 11 wins, a tour record 26 poles and 91 top 10s in 110 career starts.
- Ranks sixth in points this year with five top 10s in six events and a best finish of fourth in the season opener.
- Has an average finish of fifth among southern competitors in five previous Bristol starts with a NWSMT win in 2013.
Ryan Newman (NWMT No. 7 Menards/Wix Filters Chevrolet)
- Has four wins, four poles and 11 top 10s in 16 combined NWMT and NWSMT starts.
- Won the non-points Whelen All-Star Shootout at New Hampshire Motor Speedway in July, and finished fourth in the points race there the same weekend.
- Is the only multi-time Bristol winner, with victories in 2010 and 2011. Has an average finish of eight in five races there.
- In 34 combined NASCAR national series starts at Bristol he has four poles and 19 top 10s.
Ryan Preece (NWMT No. 16 East West Marine/Diversified Metals Ford)
- The 2013 NWMT champion has nine wins, 12 poles, 26 podiums, 46 top fives and 62 top 10s in 104 career starts.
- Ranks fifth in points with eight top 10s in nine races and a best result of second at Monadnock.
- Has an average finish of 4.5 and a best result of third (2009 & 2012) in four previous Bristol starts.
Bobby Santos (NWMT No. 44 Tinio Racing/ImperialCars.com Chevrolet)
- The 2010 NWMT champion has 13 wins, 15 poles and 48 top 10s in 89 career starts.
- Ranks fourth in points with three wins (Stafford Spring Sizzler, Waterford, July Loudon) in nine races.
- Has an average finish of 14th and a best result of third (2010) in three previous Bristol starts.
Andy Seuss (NWSMT No. 11 NE Race Cars & Parts/Ideal Finance Chevrolet)
- Has 18 wins, 11 poles and 66 top 10s in 86 career NWSMT starts.
- Is the championship leader after six events on the strength of wins at Caraway Speedway in both March and July, and at South Boston Speedway in April.
- Has an average NWSMT finish of sixth and a best result of second (2011) in the five Bristol events.
Ron Silk (NWMT No. 6 TS Haulers/Calverton Tree Farm Chevrolet)
- The 2011 NWMT champion has nine wins, nine poles and 80 top 10s in 134 career starts.
- Ranks sixth in points with eight top 10s in nine outings, highlighted by a runner-up finish at Stafford in August.
- Won from the pole at Bristol in 2012 and has an average finish of 10th in the five races there.
Todd Szegedy (NWMT No. 05 15-40 Connection Chevrolet)
- The 2003 NWMT champion has 18 wins, 10 poles and 114 top 10s in 184 career starts.
- Has one top-10 and two DNFs in three previous appearances this season.
- Has an event-best average finish of 3.2 through five Bristol starts. Was the runner-up in 2012 and 2013. Has led laps in four of the five races.
-NASCAR Integrated Marketing Communications Press Release. Photo Credit: Speed51.com