WHAT: Apple Cup 125
Race No. 2 of 7
WHERE: Yakima Speedway, Yakima, Wash.
WHEN: May 11, 2019
DISTANCE: 125 Laps/62.5 Miles
SANCTION: Northwest Super Late Model Series Inc.(NWSLMS)
PROMOTER: B&B Promotions, Inc.
CONTACTS: Randy Marshall Sr. Yakima Speedway (509) 248-0647
Jarrod Goodwin, NWSLMS Director (509) 879-5082
THE RACETRACK: Yakima Speedway is a slightly banked .500-mile paved oval.
2016 TOP-10 IN THE EVENT
1) 64 Garrett Evans East Wenatchee, WA
2) 10 Owen Riddle Naches, WA
3) 5a Garret Archer Maple Valley, WA
4) 37 Mike Longton Moxee, WA
5) 89 Doni Wanat Woodinville, WA
6) 39 Pete Harding Surrey BC
7) 15 Tayler Riddle Naches, WA
8) 33 Nicole Behar Otis Orchards, WA
9) 86 Tom Berrow Surrey BC
10) 20s Andy Sole Marysville, WA
2019 TOP-10 CHAMPIONSHIP POINTS STANDINGS
- Gracin Raz
- Brittney Zamora
- Alan Cress
- Jessie Jensen
- Mitch Kleyn
- Tristan Haider
- Jeff Jefferson
- Garrett Evans
- Trevor Cristiani
- Dave Garber
READY TO TAKE THE GREEN FLAG:
- The last time the NWSLMS was part of Yakima’s premier kick-off event (2016) the race was won by Garrett Evans. Owen Riddle scored the non-points 2017 Apple Cup and is the defending race winner.
- After a one-year hiatus, this will be the first Apple Cup run at Yakima Speedway under the operational leadership of Doug Bettarel. The track ran a limited schedule in 2018 culminating with the Fall Classic.
- Tyler Tanner will be attempting to join his father, two-time NASCAR title-holder Kelly Tanner, as an Apple Cup champion. The younger Tanner has made starts on the NASCAR K&N Pro Series and the NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series in addition to his successes at Evergreen Speedway running in the NASCAR Whelan All-American Series.
- The Moxee Missile, Mike Longton, makes his 2019 series debut in the Apple Cup 125. Longton is no stranger to success at Yakima Speedway where he’s amassed track championships and wins in the Apple Cup and Fall Classic respectively during his career.
- Mitch Kleyn continued his streak of top-5 points standings with a runner-up position in 2018. This season Kleyn is in the hunt again based off his fifth place run in the series first event, the Leonard Evans 150. Kleyn has finished inside the top-5 championship standings since the series inaugural 2015 season.
APPLE CUP NOTE OF THE WEEK: HAIDER THE INVADER
- Jefferson Pitts Racing Rookie of the Year candidate, Tristan Haider, will be making his first start in the Yakima Speedway Apple Cup. The Olympia, WA youngster recently tested his Chevrolet at Yakima in late April to prepare for the upcoming race. Haider came up through the ranks of quarter midgets and INEX Legends to make a limited amount of NWSLMS starts in 2018. Should Haider win ROTY honors at the end of the season, he will earn a NASCAR K&N Pro Series test session with Jefferson Pitts Racing.
LOOKING BACK TO THE LEONARD EVANS 150:
The following contingency prizes were earned in the season opening event, the Leonard Evans 150 at Wenatchee Valley Super Oval. Prizes will be presented at the Apple Cup 125. Winning drivers were required to run the contingency decal package provided by the series.
Hoosier Racing Tires (1 per driver): Alan Cress, Chad Hinkle and Robert Pressley
Ti Company Hard Charger Award: Mitch Kleyn, $100 cash and plaque
Penske Racing Shocks Awards:
Top Eligible Finisher- Brittney Zamora
AFCO/Longacre Racing Products Long Tow Award: Trevor Cristiani, $50 certificate
AFCO/Longacre Racing Products Hard Luck Award: Dylan Caldwell, $50 certificate
Wheel Chill Pole Position: Alan Cress, $100 certificate
Wheel Chill $25 Driver Cool Box: Trenton Moriarity
Wheel Chill $25 Grill Chill Certificate: Scott Walker
Frank’s Radio Top-3 Eligible Finishers: Zamora, $100 gift card
Cress, $75 gift card
Kleyn, $50 gift card
NEXT UP FOR THE NORTHWEST SUPER LATE MODEL SERIES:
South Sound Speedway hosts its lone NWSLMS event of the season on June 1. Offering some of the closest finishes in series history, the 125-lap feature is sure to attract the best drivers from across the region.
ABOUT THE NORTHWEST SUPER LATE MODEL SERIES:
The Northwest Super Late Model SeriesInc.is the premier regional touring Super Late Model series in the Northwest. The series has many valued sponsors including Hoosier Racing Tire, Racing Dynamics, McGunegill Engine Performance, Port City Race Cars, AR Bodies, Joes Racing Products, Penske Racing Shocks, Jostens, Accelerated Graphics, Five Star Bodies, Longacre Racing Products, Wheel Chill, KRC Power Steering, Atomic Screenprinting and Embroidery, Franks Racing Radio, BLP, Jefferson Pitts Racing, Leonard Evans Used Car Super Store, The Ti Company and Pacific Steel Structures LLC. For more information on the series visit www.nwslms.com or on Facebook or Twitter. To contact the series please email [email protected]
-Northwest Super Late Model Series Press Release
-Photo credit: Speed51.com photo