Elbridge, NY – Stewart Friesen led the final 88 laps of the Bud Light 100 at Rolling Wheels Raceway to score his third straight Super DIRTcar Series win and a $7,500 payoff in the Petruska Racing Atlas Paving No. 66.
Friesen drew the pole, yielded to Anthony Perrego for 12 laps and then took over. Pat Ward and Danny Johnson stayed with the leader during the first half of the race, but eventual runner-up Larry Wight pressured him the most for the final 20 laps. Wight could hang with Friesen and gain ground down the backstretch into turn three, but he couldnt make the Gypsum Express No. 99L stick into and off the first turn well enough to ever get to Friesens door. Friesens margin of victory was two car-lengths.
We had radios tonight and Jared (Petruska) said hes coming, but hes a little sketchy in turn one, Friesen said. We were good. The track changed quite a bit. It would clean off on the restarts and I could open it up a bit. Those red cars (Wight and his teammates Pat Ward and Billy Decker) were ganging up on me, but we were strong.
Ward had a podium finish. Decker finished fourth, several car-lengths back.
Wight passed Decker for third on lap on lap 76 and went by Ward two laps later.
Late in the race I was getting down on fuel, Wight said. I had to half-throttle it some. I couldnt enter one as high as he could and Id lose what Id gained.
Ward and Danny Johnson, who blew a right rear of lap 47 and never returned, stayed within reach of Friesen after he took the lead from Perrego, while the rest of the field got strung out behind them.
I went with a softer tire than the 99, Ward said. It helped me hang around for a while, but when I saw Wight come up on me, I knew I was in trouble. Stewie ran a great race. There was no catching him.
Tim Fuller was a strong and steady fifth after twenty laps of dicing with Decker mid-race. Brett Hearn started 11th and placed sixth.
Peter Britten, point leader Matt Sheppard, Jimmy Phelps and Perrego completed the top ten.
Friesen will go for his fourth straight SDS Big-Block Modified win and fifth of the season overall at Autodrome Granby September 11.
Super DIRTcar Big-Block Modified Series Statistical Report; Rolling Wheels Raceway; September 3, 2015
Bud Light 100
A-Main (100 laps): start in (*)
1. 66 Stewart Friesen – Sprakers, NY (1)
2. 99L Larry Wight – Phoenix, N.Y. (5)
3. 42p Pat Ward – Genoa, N.Y. (7)
4. 91 Billy Decker – Unadilla, N.Y. (9)
5. 19 Tim Fuller – Edwards, N.Y. (6)
6. 20 Brett Hearn – Sussex, NJ (11)
7. 21a Peter Britten – Brisbane, Queensland, Australia (21)
8. 9h Matt Sheppard – Waterloo, N.Y. (16)
9. 98h Jimmy Phelps – Baldwinsville, N.Y. (10)
10. 55 Anthony Perrego Montgomery, N.Y. (2)
11. 43 Keith Flach – Ravena, N.Y. (14)
12. 3 Justin Haers Phelps, N.Y. (15)
13. 32 Vic Coffey Leicester, N.Y. (12)
14. 7z Mat Williamson – St. Catharines, ON (8)
15. 02 Roy Bresnahan Fulton, N.Y. (24)
16. 63 Adam Roberts Watertown, N.Y. (26)
17. 8 Rich Scagliotta Bound Brook, N.J. (20)
18. 13 Rich Regalski Jr. – Slippery Rock, PA. (22)
19. 77 Dan Wiesner Geneva, N.Y. (25)
20. 26 Rick Richner Niagara Falls, N. Y. (19)
21. 1x Tyler Dippel Walkill, N.Y. (13)
22. 84 Gary Tomkins Clifton Springs, N.Y. (17)
23. 19 Jessey Mueller Olmstedville, N.Y. (18)
24. 33 Mike Mahaney Kings Ferry, N. Y. (4)
25. 31 Jamie Maier (27)
26. 27J Danny Johnson – Rochester, N.Y. (3)
27. 28p Eldon Payne Hopewell, N.Y. (23)
DID NOT START
2rj Ronnie Johnson Duanesburg, N.Y. ( )
Heat 1: Hearn, Ward, Williamson, Phelps, Dippel, Sheppard, Richner, Regalski Jr. Wiesner, Maier
Heat 2: Wight, Friesen, Mahaney, Perrego, Flach, Tomkins, Scagliotta, Payne
Heat 3: D ecker, Fuller, Coffey, Johnson, Haers, Mueller, Britten, Bresnahan, Roberts
Consi: Richner, Scagliotta, Britten, Regalski Jr., Payne, Bresnahan, Wiesner, Payne, Maier
For more information about the Super DIRTcar Series, NAPA Super DIRT Week and Rolling Wheels Raceway, check out www.superdirtcarseries.com, www.superdirtweekonline.com, or follow us on Twitter athttps://twitter.com/superdirtcar
Story By: DIRTcar PR
Photo Credit: DIRTcar Facebook