SELINSGROVE, PA - Tim McCreadie of Watertown, N.Y., charged forward from his sixth starting spot and overtook polesitter Shane Clanton of Zebulon, Ga., with five laps remaining in Saturday’s Showdown on Sand Hill A-Main at Selinsgrove Speedway on his way to his third World of Outlaws Late Model Series victory of the season. The 40-year-old McCreadie earned $8,650 in the first leg of the national tour’s doubleheader at the historic central Pennsylvania dirt track.
McCreadie, the 2006 WoO LMS champion, pulled away through the final laps of the 40-lap race, crossing the finish line with an advantage of 2.121 seconds. His 28th career WoO LMS victory marked his first trip to victory lane at the sprawling half-mile oval.
“It took me a little while to get going, but once I did, I think being able to move around early starting where I did helped me later,” said McCreadie, who chased down Clanton in his Sweeteners Plus Rocket Chassis as the two leaders raced through traffic during the race’s closing laps. “I don’t think Shane knew the track had changed that much, but it was a great night for Sweeteners and the whole program.”
Clanton was denied his first WoO LMS victory of the season in settling for the runner-up finish ahead of 2011 series champion Rick Eckert of York, Pa., who was also looking to end a season-long winless streak on the series.
Two-time series champion and current points leader Darrell Lanigan of Union, Ky., roared through the field from the 23rd starting spot to finish fourth. Fresh off his 14th WoO LMS victory of the year during Friday’s Working Man 50 at Lernerville Speedway in Sarver, Pa., Lanigan entered Saturday’s race looking to tie his own WoO LMS single-season wins record. But he was dealt a setback when his Club 29 Race Car weighed in light at the scales following his heat race victory, forcing him to take a provisional starting spot for the A-Main.
Hometown driver Dylan Yoder started from the outside of the front row and challenged Clanton for the lead during the race’s early stages. The 22-year-old local fan favorite faded slightly through the middle portions of the race, which ran caution free after one restart before a lap was completed. But he settled in during the closing laps and came home with a solid fifth-place finish.
After turning back Yoder during the race’s opening laps, Clanton pulled to more than a straightaway advantage during the middle portions and appeared as though he may dominate the event. But McCreadie began cutting into Clanton’s advantage after taking second on lap 19 and was assisted by Clanton’s struggles in traffic.
McCreadie completely erased Clanton’s lead by lap 30 and began looking to the low side of the high-running leader. Clanton switched his line to the low groove as he felt the pressure from McCreadie, but that wasn’t enough to hold on to the point. With a strong run exiting turn two on lap 35, McCreadie pulled even with Clanton down the back straightaway, edged ahead at the line and completed the winning pass through turns one and two.
McCreadie easily pulled away in the closing laps, earning his 16th top-five finish in a season that’s been solid but no quite up to his usual standards.
“It hasn’t been a struggle because we’ve been running good, but I love winning,” said McCreadie, who closed to 40 points behind Eckert in the battle for second in the WoO LMS championship standings. “This is a lot more fun. No matter what the paycheck is, it’s always fun to be up front.”
Clanton’s runner-up effort in his Capital Race Car continued his recent improvement on the WoO LMS after a dismal first half of the season. He fell just short of a drought-ending victory, but gained ground in the WoO LMS points chase as he looks to catch Chub Frank and Eric Wells in the standings in hopes of salvaging at a fifth-place result in the season-long campaign.
“We worked awful hard trying to get what we got,” said Clanton, who notched his 18th top-10 finish of the season. “I guess I used my stuff trying to get by the lapped cars and McCreadie found the bottom first and made it around a couple of lapped cars and I didn’t.”
Like McCreadie, Eckert charged toward the front during the second half of the race, especially in the final 10 laps as he made large cuts into the gap that separated him from the two leaders. But a slow start left his Rocket Chassis house car with too much ground to make up and a caution never appeared to reset the field.
“It looked like they were both dying and I was coming to ‘em,” Eckert said of his late charge. “I got such a terrible start. I got boxed in, started in that bottom and got myself pinched up and lost some spots. I got them back and got to looking at the score board. I see McCreadie up there and said ‘Well, he’s within distance.’ I was like ‘Ah man.’ I just couldn’t get them run down.”
Matt Cochran of Williamsport, Pa., turned in another solid performance by a local racer with his sixth-place result, with Jeff Rine of Danville, Pa., in seventh. Morgan Bagley of Longview, Texas was eighth with Eric Wells of Hazard, Ky., and Dan Stone of Thompson, Pa., rounding out the top 10.
Selinsgrove Speedway hosts the WoO LMS again on Sunday for the $10,000-to-win National Late Model Open. Gates open at 4 p.m. EST with qualifying scheduled to kick things off at 7. For more information, visit the track's website atwww.selinsgrovespeedway.com.
WoO PR - Photo Credit: Tim McCreadie Fan Page via Facebook
Results of World of Outlaws Late Model Series Showdown on Sand Hill at Selinsgrove Speedway (Finishing Position/Start/Driver/Laps Completed/Money Won):
1. (6) Tim McCreadie/40 $8,650
2. (1) Shane Clanton/40 $4,550
3. (7) Rick Eckert/40 $3,350
4. (23) Darrell Lanigan/40 $2,950
5. (2) Dylan Yoder/40 $2,700
6. (5) Matt Cochran/40 $1,500
7. (4) Jeff Rine/40 $1,450
8. (8) Morgan Bagley/40 $1,850
9. (13) Eric Wells/40 $1,750
10. (9) Dan Stone/40 $1,250
11. (24) Austin Hubbard/40 $1,000
12. (3) Jimmy Bernheisel/40 $950
13. (15) Chub Frank/40 $1,400
14. (17) Gregg Satterlee/40 $850
15. (12) Coleby Frye/39 $750
16. (10) Vic Coffey/39 $700
17. (20) Bryan Bernheisel/39 $660
18. (14) Chase Junghans/39 $1,490
19. (19) Steve Campbell/39 $620
20. (22) Jim Yoder/39 $600
21. (16) Clint Smith/27 $1,150
22. (21) Tim Fuller/5 $600
23. (18) Boom Briggs/5 $1,150
24. (11) Frank Heckenast Jr./0 $1,150
* Earnings include Winners Circle program and cash contingency award bonuses
Time of Race: 17 Mins. 12 Secs.
Margin of Victory: 2.121 seconds
Yellow Flags: 1 (lap 1)
Lap Leaders: Clanton (1-34); McCreadie (35-40)
Provisional Starters: Lanigan (WoO points), Hubbard (WoO points)
WoO LMS ‘Bonus Bucks’ Winner: Dylan Yoder ($500)
WoO LMS Highest Finishing Rookie: Chase Junghans ($250)
Ohlins Shocks Time Trial Results (Position/No./Driver/Hometown/
1. 29-Darrell Lanigan, Union, Ky., 19.111
2. 25-Shane Clanton, Zebulon, Ga., 19.189
3. 22-Gregg Satterlee, Indiana, Pa., 19.444
4. 18c-Chase Junghans, Manhattan, Kan., 19.559
5. 11-Austin Hubbard, Seaford, Del., 19.587
6. 2J-Jeff Rine, Danville, Pa., 19.592
7. 18-Eric Wells, Hazard, Ky., 19.624
8. 32c-Vic Coffey, Caledonia, N.Y., 19.655
9. 119-Jim Bernheisel, Jonestown, Pa., 19.699
10. 19-Tim Fuller, Watertown, N.Y., 19.824
11. 2-Steve Campbell, Danville, Pa., 19.846
12. 93-Pancho Lawler, Glenville, Pa., 19.874
13. 1-Rick Eckert, York, Pa., 19.884
14. 9-Hayes Mattern, Beavertown, Pa., 19.913
15. 21d-Dan Stone, Thompson, Pa., 20.031
16. 4ds-Chad Hollenbeck, Kingsley, Pa., 20.360
17. 23p-Bud Phillips, Susquehanna, Pa., 20.556
18. 4s-Danny Snyder, Green Lane, Pa., 20.626
19. 61t-Kenny Trevitz, Winsfield, Pa., 20.705
DQ 56-Russ King, Bristonville, Ohio, 20.204
DQ 88t-Ernie Millon, Waymart, Pa., 21.331
1. 16-Matt Cochran, Williamsport, Pa., 19.587
2. 14m-Morgan Bagley, Longview, Texas, 19.662
3. 99jr-Frank Heckenast Jr., Frankfort, Ill., 19.705
4. 39-Tim McCreadie, Watertown, N.Y., 19.749
5. 24-Dylan Yoder, Selinsgrove, Pa., 19.759
6. 27-Jim Yoder, Selinsgrove, Pa., 19.918
7. 99z-David Zona, Montrose, Pa., 19.958
8. 44-Clint Smith, Senoia, Ga., 19.970
9. 1*-Chub Frank, Bear Lake, Pa., 19.998
10. 99b-Boom Briggs, Bear Lake, Pa., 20.083
11. 119B-Bryan Bernheisel, Jonestown, Pa., 20.155
12. 0-Larry Baer, Dover, Pa., 20.225
13. 88-Tony Adams, Sunbury, Pa., 20.305
14. 91-Chad Davis, Milton, Pa., 20.400
15. 7-D.J. Troutman, Hyndman, Pa., 20.451
16. 3v-Scott Richwine, Carlisle, Pa., 20.591
17. 26-Jerry Bard, Shippensburg, Pa., 20.705
18. c33-Chris Casner, Mifflintown, Pa., 20.761
19. 45-Eric Hons, Bendon, Pa., 20.923
DQ F1-Colbey Frye, Dover, Pa., 19.923
Heat No. 1 (10 laps – Top 4 Transfer): Eckert, J. Bernheisel, Stone, Wells, Campbell, Satterlee, Phillips, Trevitz, Millon, Hubbard. Disqualified: Lanigan.
Heat No. 2 (10 laps – Top 4 Transfer): Clanton, Rine, Coffey, Junghans, Lawler, Fuller, King, Snyder, Mattern, Hollenbeck.
Heat No. 3 (10 laps – Top 4 Transfer): Cochran, D. Yoder, Heckenast, Frank, Troutman, Adams, B. Bernheisel, Bard, Hons, Zona.
Heat No. 4 (10 laps – Top 4 Transfer): McCreadie, Bagley, Frye, Smith, Briggs, J. Yoder, Richwine, Casner, Davis, Baer.
B-Main No. 1 (12 laps – Top 3 Transfer): Satterlee, Campbell, Fuller, King, Lawler, Hubbard, Phillips, Hollenbeck, Snyder, Trevitz, Mattern, Millon.
B-Main No. 2 (12 laps – Top 3 Transfer): Briggs, B. Bernheisel, J. Yoder, Troutman, Bard, Adams, Richwine, Hons, Casner, Davis. Did not start: Zona, Baer.
World of Outlaws Late Model Series Contingency Award Winners (awards presented to noted finisher/qualifier or next highest displaying decal):
Ohlins Shocks ($50 cash to fast qualifier): Matt Cochran
Comp Cams ($50 certificate to A-Main winner): Tim McCreadie
MSD Ignition ($50 cash to A-Main winner): Tim McCreadie
Quartermaster ($100 certificate to A-Main winner): Tim McCreadie
Wrisco (three sheets of aluminum/certificate to A-Main winner): Tim McCreadie
STP ($50 cash to 2nd-place finisher in A-Main): Shane Clanton
Penske Racing Shocks ($50 to 3rd-place finisher in A-Main): Dylan Yoder
Roush-Yates ($50 cash to 4th-place finisher in A-Main): Dylan Yoder
Mobile 1 ($50 cash to 4th-place finisher in A-Main): Dylan Yoder
JE Pistons ($50 cash to 5th-place finisher in A-Main): Dylan Yoder
Lincoln Welders ($50 cash to 6th-place finisher in A-Main): Matt Cochran
American Racing Wheels ($50 cash to 7th-place finisher in A-Main): Jeff Rine
VP Racing Fuels ($50 cash to 8th-place finisher in A-Main): Dan Stone
Edelbrock ($50 cash to 9th-place finisher in A-Main): Dan Stone
Comp Cams ($50 cash to 10th-place finisher in A-Main): Dan Stone
Cometic ($50 cash to 12th-place finisher in A-Main): Jimmy Bernheisel
JRI Shocks ($50 cash to 13th-place finisher in A-Main): Chub Frank
Superflow Dynos ($50 cash to 14th-place finisher in A-Main): Gregg Satterlee
Quartermaster ($25 certificate to 15th-place finisher in A-Main): Vic Coffey
JE Pistons (one set of rings certificate to 16th-place finisher in A-Main): Vic Coffey
Roush-Yates ($50 certificate to 18th-place finisher in A-Main): Jim Yoder
Quartermaster ($50 certificate to 19th-place finisher in A-Main): Jim Yoder
Arizona Sports Shirts ($100 certificate to 20th-place finisher in A-Main): Jim Yoder
Mobil 1 (20% off gift certificate to 20th-place finisher in A-Main): Jim Yoder
JE Pistons (one set of rings certificate to 21st-place finisher in A-Main): Clint Smith
Roush-Yates ($50 certificate to 22nd-place finisher in A-Main): Boom Briggs
MSD Ignition ($25 cash to 24th-place finisher in A-Main): Frank Heckenast Jr.
Armor All (one case of product to highest-finishing non-WoO driver): Dylan Yoder
Reliable Painting award (one free tire): Tim McCreadie
2014 World of Outlaws Late Model Series Point Standings as of Aug. 30 – 33 A-Mains completed (rank/driver/points/deficit to leader):
1. Darrell Lanigan 4,696
2. Rick Eckert 4,416 (-280)
3. Tim McCreadie 4,376 (-320)
4. Morgan Bagley 4,180 (-516)
5. Chub Frank 4,126 (-570)
6. Eric Wells 4,120 (-576)
7. Shane Clanton 4,098 (-598)
8. Frank Heckenast Jr. 3,998 (-698)
9. Clint Smith 3,894 (-802)
10. Chase Junghans 3,728 (-968)
11. Rick 'Boom' Briggs 3,580 (-1,116)
12. Tim Fuller 2,914 (-1,782)
Rookie of the Year Standings as of Aug. 30 (33 A-Mains completed; best 25 races counted)
1. Frank Heckenast Jr. 3,312
2. Chase Junghans 3,110 (-202)
3. Boom Briggs 3,008 (-304)