BAKERSFIELD, CALIFORNIA – David Mayhew claimed his 19th career Kern County Raceway Park win, leading the final 27 laps of the NASCAR Pro Late Model feature on a hot Saturday night of action.
The win was Mayhew’s third consecutive in the series and avenged his loss in the NASCAR K&N Pro Series, West event two weeks earlier that he nearly won.
“Tonight was a good way to come back and get a win for the guys,” Mayhew said. “These are a lot more fun to drive (than the CITGO Late Models). This is more of a race car and this is what we like to run.”
Mayhew also claimed Budweiser fast time on the night. Chatsworth’s Keith Spangler led the opening two laps before Mayhew’s teammate Johnny White led laps three through eight. Mayhew snaked through the field from sixth starting position.
The race went caution-free with Mayhew stretching his lead out to 4.178 seconds. Fifth starting Dallas Montes got around Johnny White for second on lap 16 but was unable to close in on the leader.
Shane Thompson won his second straight Super Stock main event driving the #12 entry for car owner James Norman. Perrin Koostra led the first three laps before Thompson broke free for the win ahead of Perrin Koostra and Racin Vernon. Thompson topped off the win by giving his trophy to a fan in the stands.
2013 Sr. Mini Dwarf champion Jerry Flippo returned to victory lane, leading just the final lap to win ahead of Anthony Balcazar and Andrew Orlando. Jeremy Clark led 24 of the 25 laps but was shuffled out coming to the finish and was unable to complete the race in a tough break for the young driver.
Randy Smith extended his points lead with his second NASCAR Mini Stock victory of the season ahead of Stacy Evans and Pierre Peasha. Kenny Smith led the opening two laps of the feature before a caution came out. Randy Smith took the lead on the restart and never looked back.
Evans avoided trouble in a three wide battle with trophy dash winner Terry Pettit and Kenny Smith. The rookie driver also had fast time earlier in qualifying.
Bailey Thompson won a three-wide Jr. Mini Dwarf finish in a photo finish that was initially too close to call. The first eight laps were led by Kabe McClenny before Kercie Jung took over the point using a three-wide manueuver in lapped traffic.
McClenny took the lead back just two laps later but then lost it on a restart on lap 19 back to Jung. Jung led the field into the final corner before loosing the three-wide shootout to Thompson and 2013 champion Kyleigh Forster. McClenny ultimately finished fourth.
Shafter Police Department Detective Josh Stephens won for the second time in the 911 Racing Series, with Ryan Tisinger of Kern County Fire and fast-time qualifier Glen Davis of Bakersfield Police finishing third.
Next Saturday night at Kern County Raceway Park is CAPK Food Bank and Eyewitness News Night, including NASCAR CITGO Lubricants Late Models, SRL S2 Tour Series, Spec Mods, Legends, Bandoleros, and a King of the Wing Sprint Car Exhibition. Admission will be just $10 with a donation of two canned food items.
Major marketing partners at Kern County Raceway Park include Budweiser, CITGO Lubricants, Monster Energy, Advance Beverage Company, Coca Cola, NAPA Auto Parts, DC’s RV Center, Three-Way Chevrolet, and Whelen Engineering.
Kern County Raceway Park is online at www.kernraceway.com More information is available on Facebook at www.facebook.com/kernraceway and on Twitter at www.twitter.com/kernraceway
For marketing information on Kern County Raceway Park, contact Steven Blakesley by email at [email protected] or by phone at (661) 835-1264, ext 3203.
June 7, 2014 NASCAR Whelen All-American Series Results
Kern County Raceway Park – Bakersfield, CA
NASCAR Pro Late Model – 35 laps
1) 19 David Mayhew, 2) 34 Dallas Montes, 3) 19 Johnny White, 4) 37 Keith Spangler, 5) 99 Tim Smith, 6) 9 Justin Westmoreland, 7) 09 Thane Alderman 10:55.518
Super Stock – 25 laps
1) 12 Shane Thompson, 2) 1 Perrin Koostra, 3) 51 Racin Vernon, 4) 4 Howie Smith, 5) 10 Mike Reed, 6) 77 Michael Nicks DNS Dylan Baker 16:50.075
NASCAR Mini Stock – 30 laps
1) 41 Randy Smith, 2) 22 Stacy Evans, 3) 5 Pierre Peasha, 4) 15 Terry Pettit, 5) 7 Kenny Smith, 6) 14 Tonya Baker, 7) 46 Eric Aldridge 17:52.626
Sr. Mini Dwarf – 25 laps
1) 13 Jerry Flippo, 2) 17 Anthony Balcazar, 3) 00 Cheyenne Flippo, 4) 8 Jeremy Clark, 5) 14 Kaylyn Baker, 6) 92 Ryley Millard DQ: 11 Andrew Orlando 9:12.050
Jr. Mini Dwarf – 25 laps
1) 19 Bailey Thompson, 2) 1 Kyleigh Forster, 3) 17 Kercie Jung, 4) 05 Kabe McClenny, 5) 04 Riley Massey, 6) 41 Braelyn Whittington, 7) 3 Cole Forster 15:29.069
911 Racing Series – 15 laps
1) 51 Josh Stephens (Shafter PD), 2) 55 Ryan Tisinger (Kern Fire), 3) 6 Glen Davis (Bakersfield PD), 4) 57 Marcus Kochanski (Kern Sheriff), 5) 00 Jason Hillis (Kern Probation), 6) 8 Tim Patterson (Bakersfield Fire), 7) 17 Erik Hallmark (Taft PD) 11:39.786
– Kern County Speedway Release. Photo Credit: Kern County Speedway