DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – The 2015 NASCAR K&N Pro Series West season begins this Saturday night at Kern (Calif.) County Raceway Park with the NAPA Auto Parts 150, the first of thirteen scheduled events in the 2015 season. Below is a statistical look at the performance of the field at Kern.
NAPA Auto Parts 150 Setup
• Defending champion Greg Pursley, now retired, owns the track record for most wins with two victories at Kern.
• K&N Pro Series East driver Gray Gaulding holds the qualifying record with a fastest time of 17.908 seconds (100.514 mph) from October 26, 2013.
• The K&N Pro Series West has had three winners at Kern, Pursley and Dylan Lupton, neither are competing in the event.
Kern County Raceway Park
• Kern County Raceway Park sits on 120 acres and opened on May 18, 2013, with a NASCAR Whelen All-American Series event.
• It’s a half-mile oval with progressive banking of 12 and 14 degrees in turns and eight degrees of banking on the front and backstretches.
• The facility has seating for 5,000 spectators and is expendable to more than 15,000.
• This is the series’ fourth event at Kern and the season opener for the 2015 season.
• The NAPA Auto Parts 150 will broadcast on NBCSN on Friday, April 3 at 6:30 p.m.
• Gray Gaulding won the inaugural pole at the Southern California half-mile oval and finished 21st after being involved in a late-race accident.
• Last season’s May visit had eight caution laps for 35 laps. The first visit last season had four caution periods for 24 laps.
Kern County Data
Race: #1 of 13 (3/28/15)
Track Layout: .5-mile oval
Race Length: 150 laps (75 miles)
Banking/Turns: Progressive, 12-14 degrees
Banking/Straights: Eight degrees
Kern County Qualifying/Race Data:
2014 Pole Winner: Greg Pursley
2014 Race Winner: Greg Pursley
Track Qualifying Record: Gray Gaulding, 17.908 seconds, 100.514 mph, Oct. 26, 2013
150-Lap Race Record: Greg Pursley, Ford, 1 hour 10 minutes 46 seconds, 63.589 mph, Oct. 26, 2013
Kern County Leaders:
Greg Pursley … 2
Dylan Lupton … 1
Greg Pursley … 2
Gray Gaulding … 1
Dylan Lupton … 450
David Mayhew … 450
Greg Pursley … 450
Selected Driver Highlights:
Nicole Behar (No. 33 Custom Welding/Fabrication, Inc. Chevrolet)
• This will be her first time competing at Kern in the K&N Pro Series West.
• Ran in three K&N Pro Series West events last season, Idaho’s State Line Speedway, Washington’s Evergreen Speedway and California’s All American Speedway, with her best finish being sixth at State Line.
• Ranked 25th in the series standings last season.
James Bickford (No. 6 Find the Cure Ford)
• 2014 Sunoco Rookie of the Year winner registering one win, eight top five and 10 top 10 finishes.
• His best finish at Kern was in August of last year when he placed fourth. He placed sixth in the spring 2014 event.
• Recorded his first NASCAR K&N Pro Series West victory at State Line on July 12, 2014.
Johnny Borneman (No. 8 TBD Chevrolet)
• Is entering his 15th season in the K&N Pro Series West, with his best finish being fourth in 2002.
• Has only raced at Kern once before in October 2013 and finished 12th.
• The season opener at Kern will be his 108th start in the K&N Pro Series West.
Rich DeLong III (No. 84 Rodon Builders Chevrolet)
• Has 16 career starts in the K&N Pro Series West and finished 8th last season.
• Has a career best finish of 12th (Kern on May 24, 2014; Colorado National Raceway on July 26, 2014)
• Has an average finish of 18.3 in three career starts at Kern.
Chris Eggleston (No. 99 NAPA Toyota Camry)
• Has competed in four K&N Pro Series West races.
• Earned his first NKNPS West finish at Colorado National last season.
• He has competed in six NASCAR Camping World Truck Series events, earned his career best finish in his debut at Martinsville with an 11th place finish.
Justin Funkhouser (No. 15 Med Active Chevrolet)
• The season opener at Kern will be his 30th K&N Pro Series West start.
• His career best series finish was in his Kern debut Aug. 30, 2014 with a seventh place finish.
Noah Gragson (No. 7 I.D. Alert Ford)
• Kern will be his K&N Pro Series West debut.
Bobby Hillis (No. 0 Tucson Speedway Chevrolet)
• Has competed in 60 K&N Pro Series West races.
• Earned his best finish on Sept. 1, 2001 at Utah’s Rocky Mountain Raceway with a 10th-place finish.
• This will be his first time racing at Kern.
Scott Ivie (MSI Development Ford)
• Has been competing in the K&N Pro Series West Series since 2007, with a best finish of sixth place at Utah’s Miller Motorsports Park on April 28, 2012.
• This will be his third time competing at Kern, his best finish was 15th on May 24, 2014.
Thomas Martin (No.11 Med Active Chevrolet)
• Has competed in the series since 2007, with his best finish being fifth (California’s Stockton 99 Speedway on May 3, 2014; Kern on Aug. 30, 2014)
• This will be his third time competing at Kern.
• His average finish at Kern is 10th place.
David Mayhew (No. 17 MMI Service/Ron’s Rear Ends Chevrolet)
• Eight wins, 43 top fives and 63 top 10s in 86 K&N Pro Series West starts.
• Finished third in the final season standings last year.
• Finished third at Kern last May. Has two top fives in three starts at the track.
• Was the 2013 NASCAR K&N Pro Series West Sunoco Rookie of the Year.
• Won Late Model championship during Kern County’s inaugural NASCAR Whelen All-American Series season with 15 wins in 22 starts.
Brandon McReynolds (No. 16 NAPA Auto Parts Toyota)
• Finished last season ranked fourth with 11 top five and 12 top 10 finishes in 14 starts.
• Finished third at Kern on May 24, 2014 and second on May 30, 2014.
• Earned his career-best season finish, second, last May at Evergreen and Kern.
• Three top five and eight top 10s in 14 career K&N Pro Series East starts, including one top 10 in two Iowa starts for the East.
Hannah Newhouse (No.46 Boise State/Th888e Car Store/Rich Thompson Trucking Inc. Chevrolet)
• Will be making her third K&N Pro Series West start.
• Her best finish was sixth at New Mexico’s NAPA Speedway on Sept. 29, 2012.
Ron Norman (No.30 Port of Tucson Toyota)
• Making his NASCAR K&N Pro Series West debut at Kern.
• Crowned the 2015 NASCAR Whelen All-American Series champion at Tucson Speedway and was the NWAAS Arizona champion with two wins, five top fives and six top 10s.
Ryan Partridge (No. 9 Eibach Spring/Sunrise Ford/Lucas Oil Ford)
• The season opener at Kern will be his fourth series start, with his eighth place finish at Irwindale on March 22, 2014 being his best series finish.
• Was the 2014 Whelen All-American Series California champion as well as the Irwindale Speedway champion.
• Will race his first full season in the series with Bob Bruncati.
Gracin Raz (No. 27 Trinity Energy Ford)
• Competed in two K&N Pro Series West races last season and earned his best finish at All American on Oct. 11.
Dalton Sargeant (No. 55 GALT Ford)
• Placed second in the K&N Pro Series East opener at Florida’s New Smyrna Speedway.
Alex Schutte (No. 21 Proficio Chevrolet)
• Raced in one K&N Pro Series West event at All-American on October 11, 2014 where he placed 16th.
Jack Sellers (No. 5 Med Active Chevrolet)
• The season opener at Kern will be his 278th K&N Pro Series West start.
• His best race finish is seventh (accomplished six times).
Brett Thompson (No. 61 Rich Thompson Trucking, Inc./61 Logistics LLC/BluLng.com Chevrolet)
• The season opener at Kern will be his 131 K&N Pro Series West start.
• Has earned one win at Mesa Marin in 2004.
• This will be his first race at Kern.
Luis Tyrrell (No. 74 Rodon Builders Chevrolet)
• Finished 14th in the standings last season with one top 10 in six starts.
• His best finish at Kern was 14th in 2013.
Carlos Vieira (No. 51 51 FIFTY Energy Drink Toyota)
• Ranked 19th in last year’s final standings with one top 10 in five starts.
• His best career at Kern was 15th in 2013.
John Wood (No. 36 Holleran’s Performance Chevrolet)
• Finished 17th at Kern in May 2014 and 16th in August 2014.
• In three races, his average start at the track is 17, average finish is 17.7.
• Has three top 10s in 50 starts.
• Ranked seventh in last year’s championship standings.
Up To Speed In The West
• The 2015 season is the 62nd for the NASCAR K&N Pro Series West.
• The 2015 schedule features 13 races at 11 different tracks across seven states.
• Kern County is the first of 13 races this season.
-NASCAR Integrated Marketing Communications Press Release. Photo credit: Speed51.com