SEYMOUR, TN (May 27, 2019)—Jimmy Owens passed Brandon Overton on lap 34 and lead the remaining distance to capture the Seventh Annual Scott Sexton Memorial at 411 Motor Speedway in Seymour, Tenn. on Monday Night May 27th.
This was the second-career Schaeffer’s Oil Spring Nationals Series payday and the first-career Schaeffer’s Oil Iron-Man Late Model Series victory for the Newport, Tenn. driver. Owens became the seventh different winner in 11 points races for the Spring Nationals and third different winner in three events for the Iron-Man tour. Owens also became the seventh different winner in seven Scott Sexton Memorial events held.
Polesitter Brandon Overton led from the drop of the green flag until lap 33 when the pressure from Owens was too much and Owens grabbed the top spot and led the remaining distance for the victory in front of a great crowd.
The 47-year-old Owens drove the Ramirez Motorsports, Boomtest Well Service, Reece Monument, Redbone Fishing & Rental, Power Rig, Redline Oil, Tommy Pope Construction, Rhino Ag and Keyser Manufacturing-sponsored Andy Durham Racing Engines-powered Rocket Chassis to the $10,052 payday.
Two caution flags slowed the main event, both on lap 12. The first caution flew as Tanner English slowed in turn four as he was running in seventh place. On the restart, the final caution flew as McDowell’s spin in turn two caused a tangle between Walker Arthur and Joseph Faulkner. McDowell’s mount never stopped, while Arthur and Faulkner had to join the tail of the field for the restart.
In post-race celebrations, Dale McDowell of Chickamauga, Ga. was honored as the 2019 Schaeffer’s Oil Spring Nationals Series presented by Sunoco Race Fuels Champion. This was McDowell’s first touring championship since 1999 when he was a champion on the former Hav-A-Tampa Racing Series. McDowell’s Spring Nationals Championship was worth $10,000. Donald McIntosh finished a close second in the points as him and McDowell battles since the first race for the title.
Official Summary of Results
Round Ten-Schaeffer’s Oil Spring Nationals Series-Rome Speedway-Rome, GA-May 26, 2019
1. Jimmy Owens-Newport, Tenn.
2. Brandon Overton-Evans, Ga.
3. Ricky Weiss-Headingly, Manitoba, Canada
4. Hudson O’Neal-Martinsville, Ind.
5. Kyle Strickler-Mooresville, N.C.
6. Dale McDowell-Chickamauga, Ga.
7. Kyle Bronson-Brandon, Fla.
8. Chris Ferguson-Mt. Holly, N.C.
9. Ross Bailes-Clover, S.C.
10. Shanon Buckingham-Morristown, Tenn.
11. Cory Hedgecock-Loudon, Tenn.
12. Robby Moses-Maryville, Tenn.
13. Tim McCreadie-Watertown, N.Y.
14. Jason Cardwell-Knoxville, Tenn.
15. Donald McIntosh-Dawsonville, Ga.
16. Jason Welshan-Maryville, Tenn.
17. Ryan King-Seymour, Tenn.
18. Joseph Faulkner-Flintville, Tenn.
19. Walker Arthur-Forrest, Va.
20. David Crabtree-Maryville, Tenn.
21. Tanner English-Benton, Ky.
22. Forrest Trent-Talbott, Tenn.
– Schaeffer’s Oil Spring Nationals Late Model Series Press Release