The latest edition of the Granite State Pro Stock Series produced great thrills and spills this past Saturday night at White Mountain Motorsports Park (NH).  Todd Stone scored his first career victory, but a vicious crash involving the leaders during the middle portion of the race had everyone talking.


Luke Hinkley and DJ Shaw were battling for the lead with Hinkley’s No. 31 running to the outside of Shaw’s No. 60.  After two laps of side-by-side racing, the two cars came together on the backstretch with Hinkley’s car going over the top of Shaw’s right rear quarter panel.  From there, Hinkley went up and over Shaw, down the pit access road, over a jersey barrier and into the fence that separates the race track from the pit area.


Hinkley was able to walk away from the scene under his own power and on Monday morning indicated that he was still sore. While it was a wild and unusual crash, it is not the first time Hinkley had seen an incident of that nature at White Mountain.


“I’m a little sore but not too bad. I’ve seen it twice before,” Hinkley told powered by JEGS.  “I remember I think it was Kelly Moore that kind of did the same thing up there quite a while ago, think I’ve seen it in a PASS race up there.”


300x250 51 Network 2017(2)While he was in good spirits, Hinkley did not chalk up the collision as a racing incident.


“We had a restart there and I was on the outside of DJ for I think it was two laps. Coming out of two he got into me a little bit and then got into me some more and off the track I went.  He knew I was there, obviously.”


In his take of the incident, Shaw indicated he was trying to maintain the race lead because he thought the caution would be coming out for Tommy O’Sullivan’s stalled car sitting in the infield in turn three. He also indicated that he and Hinkley have not been on the friendliest of terms lately.


“I don’t even really know what caused it all really,” Shaw said after the race.  “I knew the car was sitting in the infield there and the yellow was coming so I ran him up a little bit.  We don’t have the greatest past; I feel like he used me up the last time we raced each other. I just ran him up the hill a little bit and he didn’t take his foot out of the gas until we were wrecked.  I don’t know what happened on his end.  I know when we got hooked together we both went up the track, so I don’t really know.  I’m glad he was alright and you never really want to see that happen.”


Eventual race winner Todd Stone wad running third at the time and had a front row seat for the chaos, indicating that a collision seemed inevitable.


“They were banging a little bit going down the frontstretch and banging a little bit going down the backstretch,” Stone recollected.  “It just seemed like they come together right in the middle.  I see (Hinkley) go flying up over the right rear quarter of DJ and I didn’t know he ended up in the fence down there, up on top of the fence actually.  But I’m glad he’s alright.”


Looking ahead, Hinkley is not sure when he will be able to get back on track due to the severity of the damage suffered on his Pro Stock. He is confident he’ll make it back out and is thankful that his car held together to allow him to walk away.


“Everything worked the way it was supposed to.  My back is a little sore but other than that I’m in good shape. I don’t know if we’ll get it back out, the front clip is messed up, so is the rear clip. I don’t know if I’ll fix it or just buy a chassis and put what’s left of it on. We’ll be back, I just got to get all my ducks in a row and do it the most feasible way possible.”


Race fans can watch video of the crash and the full highlights of the Granite State Pro Stock Series from White Mountain Motorsports Park now on the Speed51 Network. (Click here)


-By: Connor Sullivan, CT, MA & Long Island Editor – Twitter: @Connor51CT

-Photo Credit:

Hinkley, Shaw Recall Vicious Wreck at White Mountain