Groveton, NH – Two-time American-Canadian Tour (ACT) Champion Wayne Helliwell Jr. was in the right place at the right time on Saturday night, taking his second win of the season in the rain-shortened Generation Next 151 at Speedway 51 in Groveton, NH.
Helliwell got the break on Rowley, MA's Eddie MacDonald on a lap-85 restart and was in front when the caution flew for Travis Stearns' spin a lap later. A caution for rain came out on the subsequent restart. Although the race was able to resume, the rains returned just five laps later, forcing the conclusion of the event after 91 of the scheduled 151 laps.
Defending Fall Brawl winner MacDonald took the lead from polesitter Mike Bailey on the opening lap and led the first 12 circuits before two-time Thunder Road Late Model Champion Derrick O'Donnell drove around him on the outside. MacDonald grabbed the lead back for a single circuit following a lap-20 restart, but O'Donnell reassumed command and led a four-car breakaway that included Helliwell and local racer Jeff Marshall.
MacDonald retook the lead for a third time following a lap-75 caution and held it through a lap-83 restart. The race's fourth caution came out on lap 85 for a hard crash involving Jason Corliss and Jimmy Hebert. Helliwell finally got the break on that restart and was in front at the time of the race's premature end.
O'Donnell and Marshall finished second and third as MacDonald faded on the final sprint. Joey Polewarczyk Jr. drove from the 18th starting position to finish fourth, followed by defending event winner Kyle Welch in fifth. Derek Ming, MacDonald, D.J. Shaw, Cody Blake, and Tyler Cahoon completed the top-10.
Heat race wins went to MacDonald, Ming, Shawn Swallow, and Corliss. O'Donnell, Corey Mason, and Boomer Morris won the consis, while Cody Blake took the Last Chance B-Feature.
Helliwell unofficially retakes the point lead from Polewarczyk heading into the ACT Tour's next race at Devil's Bowl Speedway in West Haven, VT on Saturday, June 6. Post time for the 100-lap event is 6:00pm.
For more information contact the ACT offices at 802.244.6963, [email protected], or visit www.acttour.com.
ACT GENERATION NEXT 151
Pos Start Pos Driver Car # Hometown Laps
1. ( 4 ) Wayne Helliwell Jr. ( 27NH ) , Dover, NH , 91 Laps
2. ( 3 ) Derrick O'Donnell ( 60VT ) , N. Haverhill, NH , 91 Laps
3. ( 6 ) Jeff Marshall ( 32NH ) , Lunenberg, NH , 91 Laps
4. ( 18 ) Joey Polewarczyk Jr. ( 97NH ) , Hudson, NH , 91 Laps
5. ( 14 ) Kyle Welch ( 9NH ) , Newport, NH , 91 Laps
6. ( 9 ) Derek Ming ( 5NH ) , West Burke, VT , 91 Laps
7. ( 2 ) Eddie MacDonald ( 17MA ) , Rowley, MA , 91 Laps
8. ( 16 ) D.J. Shaw ( 77NH ) , Ctr. Conway, NH , 91 Laps
9. ( 25 ) Cody Blake ( 99VT ) , Barre, VT , 91 Laps
10. ( 19 ) Tyler Cahoon ( 38VT ) , St. Johnsbury, VT , 91 Laps
11. ( 21 ) Brandon Atkins ( 4NY ) , AuSable Forks, NY , 91 Laps
12. ( 1 ) Mike Bailey ( 00VT ) , S. Barre, VT , 91 Laps
13. ( 29 ) Jeremy Davis ( 14NH ) , Tamworth, NH , 91 Laps
14. ( 12 ) Travis Stearns ( 16ME ) , Auburn, ME , 91 Laps
15. ( 27 ) Emily Packard ( 9ME ) , E. Montpelier, VT , 91 Laps
16. ( 10 ) Shawn Swallow ( 04NH ) , Stark, NH , 91 Laps
17. ( 20 ) Jeff White ( 50ME ) , Winthrop, ME , 91 Laps
18. ( 5 ) Randy Potter ( 15VT ) , Groveton, NH , 91 Laps
19. ( 23 ) Mike Kenison ( 3NH ) , Lancaster, NH , 91 Laps
20. ( 15 ) Kyle Pembroke ( 27VT ) , Montpelier, VT , 90 Laps
21. ( 26 ) Mike Ziter ( 54VT ) , Barre Town, VT , 90 Laps
22. ( 30 ) Bryan Mason ( 10NH ) , Stark, NH , 90 Laps
23. ( 22 ) Nick Sweet ( 40VT ) , Barre, VT , 86 Laps
24. ( 11 ) Jason Corliss ( 66VT ) , Barre, VT , 85 Laps
25. ( 13 ) Jimmy Hebert ( 58VT ) , Williamstown, VT , 85 Laps
26. ( 7 ) Brad Babb ( 15NH ) , Windham, ME , 83 Laps
27. ( 8 ) Corey Mason ( 1NH ) , Groveton, NH , 43 Laps
28. ( 24 ) Rowland Robinson, Jr. ( 28ME ) , Steuben, ME , 35 Laps
29. ( 17 ) Boomer Morris ( 13VT ) , Barre, VT , 22 Laps
30. ( 28 ) #Rich Dubeau ( 30NH ) , Plainfield, NH , 20 Laps
Lap Leaders: Mike Bailey, 0; Eddie MacDonald, 1-12; Derrick O'Donnell, 13-21; MacDonald, 22; O'Donnell, 23-75; MacDonald, 76-85; Wayne Helliwell Jr., 86-91. 7 lead changes among 4 drivers.
Time of Race: 56:48 Margin of Victory: under caution
Cautions: 7 (laps 20, 75, 83, 85, 86, 86, 91)
Heat Winners: Eddie MacDonald, Derek Ming, Shawn Swallow, Jason Corliss
Consi Winners: Derrick O'Donnell, Corey Mason, Boomer Morris
B-Feature Winner: Cody Blake
- ACT Tour Release. Photo credit: Alan Plummer