Groveton, NH -- Williamstown, VT’s Jimmy Hebert broke a nearly 5-year American-Canadian Tour (ACT) winless streak in grand fashion on Sunday, July 15 by dominating the J.P. Sicard/Kingdom Gravel 151 at Speedway 51. Hebert took the lead for the first time on a lap-4 restart and eventually led all but five circuits en route to taming the Groveton, NH oval.
For Hebert, his third career ACT Late Model Tour victory was the first since August 3, 2013 at Quebec’s Sanair Super Speedway. It also served as redemption for Hebert after he was involved in a hard crash while battling for the lead at the Tour’s previous visit to Speedway 51.
Hebert started third on the grid and was running second to polesitter Bryan Mason when the first caution flew for Jesse Switser’s spin on lap four. The two battled side-by-side on the restart, but Hebert had the nose up three laps later when Craig Bushey apparently broke a wheel entering turn 3 and pounded the wall.
That was ultimately the break Hebert needed, as he assumed control on the restart off the inside lane. Graniteville’s Chip Grenier followed him through to second, and gave Hebert a brief fight after each subsequent caution, even poking his bumper out front on lap 50. But every time Hebert got clear, he motored away, often pulling out to leads of a straightaway or more.
Grenier would get his final shot after a pair of cautions on lap 124, first for Jason Corliss’s encounter with the frontstretch wall and again for Mason’s spin on the restart. But Hebert again held strong, walking away from the field on the final run to the checkered flag.
Despite coming up short of the top spot, Grenier still had his best-ever ACT performance with a 2nd-place finish. Point leader Scott Payea of Colchester got under Lebanon, NH’s Rich Dubeau with two laps remaining for the third spot after a long battle. Rowley, MA’s Eddie MacDonald rounded out the top-5.
Switser recovered from his early spin to finish sixth. Mike Ziter, Derrick O’Donnell, Quinny Welch, and rookie Dylan Payea rounded out the top-10.
Heat race wins went to Mason, Hebert, and Ziter. Grenier won the consolation event.
The ACT Late Model Tour makes its next stop at N. Woodstock, NH’s White Mountain Motorsports Park on Saturday, August 4 for the Autosaver Group 150. Post time is 6:00pm.
For more information, contact the ACT offices at (802) 244-6963, [email protected], or visit www.acttour.com.
J.P. SICARD/KINGDOM GRAVEL 151
Pos Start Pos Driver Car # Hometown Laps
1. ( 3 ) Jimmy Hebert ( 58VT ) , Williamstown, VT , 151 Laps
2. ( 5 ) Chip Grenier ( 9VT ) , Graniteville, VT , 151 Laps
3. ( 10 ) Scott Payea ( 37VT ) , Colchester, VT , 151 Laps
4. ( 4 ) Rich Dubeau ( 30NH ) , Lebanon, NH , 151 Laps
5. ( 11 ) Eddie MacDonald ( 17MA ) , Rowley, MA , 151 Laps
6. ( 8 ) Jesse Switser ( 10ME ) , West Burke, VT , 151 Laps
7. ( 7 ) Mike Ziter ( 54VT ) , Barre, VT , 151 Laps
8. ( 16 ) Derrick O'Donnell ( 5VT ) , N. Haverhill, NH , 151 Laps
9. ( 17 ) Quinten Welch ( 78NH ) , Groveton, NH , 151 Laps
10. ( 13 ) #Dylan Payea ( 7NH ) , Milton, VT , 151 Laps
11. ( 1 ) Bryan Mason ( 10NH ) , Stark, NH , 151 Laps
12. ( 19 ) #Christopher Pelkey ( 41VT ) , South Barre, VT , 149 Laps
13. ( 22 ) James Linardy ( 77MA ) , Somerville, MA , 148 Laps
14. ( 14 ) Claude Leclerc ( 11QC ) , Lanoraie, QC , 140 Laps
15. ( 12 ) Jason Corliss ( 66VT ) , Barre, VT , 124 Laps
16. ( 2 ) Corey Mason ( 1NH ) , Groveton, NH , 86 Laps
17. ( 9 ) Mike Kension ( 3NH ) , Lancaster, NH , 84 Laps
18. ( 20 ) Brian Tagg ( 9MA ) , Oxford, MA , 54 Laps
19. ( 18 ) Jeff Marshall ( 32NH ) , Guildhall, VT , 49 Laps
20. ( 21 ) #Reilly Lanphear ( 21VT ) , Duxbury, VT , 49 Laps
21. ( 6 ) #Peyton Lanphear ( 22VT ) , Duxbury, VT , 44 Laps
22. ( 15 ) Craig Bushey ( 15VT ) , Fairfax, VT , 7 Laps
Lap Leaders: Bryan Mason 1-4, Jimmy Hebert 5-49, Chip Grenier 50, Hebert 51-151. (3 lead changes among 3 drivers)
Time of Race: 1:14:32 Margin of Victory: 1.484 seconds
Cautions: 6 (laps 4, 7, 49, 86, 124, 124)
Heat Winners: Bryan Mason, Jimmy Hebert, Mike Ziter
Consi Winner: Chip Grenier
-American Canadian Tour Press Release
-Photo credit: Speed51.com