Malta, NY - Jimmy Phelps of Baldwinsville, N.Y. drove to his first Super DIRTcar Series Big-Block Modified win this season by dominating the second half of Brett Hearns Big Show VII 100-lap, $10,000-to-win event at Albany-Saratoga Speedway.
Phelps started 5th in a 30-car field and passed polesitter Matt DeLorenzo to take the lead for keeps on lap 32. DeLorenzo was never passed again on the way to his best-ever Super DIRTcar Series finish.
Series point leader Matt Sheppard withstood pressure from a fast-closing Hearn to place third by half a car-length.
Hearn brought out the third of nine yellows with 28 laps in the books when a torque arm broke on the Madsen Overhead Doors No. 20 and got caught up in the driveshaft. He got back out of the pits just in time to avoid going a lap down and then powered his way back up through the field. Gary Tomkins - from 21st - finished 5th.
Phelps proved untouchable on the numerous restarts even though they were much appreciated by DeLorenzo.
My car was quick for a few laps each time and then it would get free and Id worry about Sheppard, DeLorenzo said. I wasnt going to catch Phelps.
Weve been getting better and better and now weve finally got one, Phelps said. The car was good-good. I could put it anywhere. Ive very proud of the HBR team. It feels good to win here. I love Albany-Saratoga. The fans here are phenomenal.
Several would-be challengers who showed speed ran into early mechanical problems just like Hearn.
Kenny Tremont breezed to a win in his heat and was running 4th at the halfway before dropping out on lap 62 and finishing 22nd. Stewart Friesen time-trialed well, but struggled early. Danny Johnson was running in the top-5 when he spun out on lap 38, pitted and lost 14 laps in the pits.
Peter Britten, who won the Pole Position Raceway Fast Time Award, drew 11th in the Dig Safely NY redraw and had a solid performance to finish sixth, just ahead of Billy Decker. Albany-Saratoga regular Keith Flach, Marc Johnson and Elmo Reckner finished 8-9-10.
The next event on the Super DIRTcar Series schedule is set for August 23 at Cornwall Speedway in Cornwall, Ontario.
Super DIRTcar Big-Block Modified Series Statistical Report;
Albany-Saratoga Speedway; August 12, 2015
Big Show VII 100
A-Main (100 laps): start in (*)
1. 98h Jimmy Phelps - Baldwinsville, N.Y. (5)
2. 3d Matt DeLorenzo Cropseyville, N.Y. (1)
3. Matt Sheppard Waterloo, N.Y. (4)
4. 20 Brett Hearn Sussex, NJ (9)
5. 84 Gary Tomkins Clifton Springs, N.Y. (21)
6. 14b Peter Britten - Brisbane, Queensland, Australia (2)
7. 91 Billy Decker - Unadilla, N.Y. (7)
8. 43 Keith Flach - Ravena, N.Y. (2)
9. 3j Marc Johnson Guilderland, N.Y.
10. 17 Elmo Reckner Ballston Lake, N.Y. (13)
11. 16 AJ Romano Johnstown, N.Y. (14)
12. 8 Rich Scagliotta Bound Brook, N.J. (3)
13. 99L Larry Wight Phoenix, N.Y. (10)
14. 4* Tim McCreadie Watertown, N.Y. (16)
15. 42 Pat Ward Genoa, N.Y. (22)
16. 14g Brian Gleason Guilderland, N.Y. (26)
17. 19m Jessey Mueller Olmstedville, N.Y. (17)
18. 27J Danny Johnson - Rochester, N.Y. (8)
19. 7z Stewart Friesen Sprakers, NY (12)
20. 19 Tim Fuller Edwards, N.Y. (19)
21. 1x Tyler Dippel Walkill, N.Y. (15)
22. 115 Kenny Tremont Jr. West Sand Lake, N.Y. (6)
23. 48T Dave Rauscher Waterloo, N.Y. (27)
24. 34 Shaun Pangman (25)
25. 17p Rob Pitcher Chatham, N.Y. (30)
26. 2j Ronnie Johnson Duanesburg. N.Y. (20)
27. 21j Jeff Trombley Altamont, N.Y. (18)
28. 7s Mike Sabia Easton, Conn. (29)
29. 44 Mike Ricci Kingston, N.Y. (23)
30. 41 Jim Davis Ballston Spa, N.Y. (28)
DID NOT START
816 Jeff Rockefeller
16w Willy Auchmoody
41 Jim Davis
14x Floyd Billington
Qualifying Heats (8 laps, top 5 transfer, top 3 redraw)
Heat 1: Wight, Decker, Flach, Reckner, Mueller, Tomkins, Pangman, Billington
Heat 2: Britten, DeLorenzo, Friesen, Romano, Trombley, Rauscher, Gleason, Auchmoody
Heat 3: Hearn, Sheppard, Scagliotta, Dippel, Fuller, Ricci, Rockefeller, Sabia
Heat 4: Tremont Jr., D Johnson, Phelps, McCreadie, R Johnson, Ward, M Johnson, Davis, Pitcher
Consi 1: Tomkins, Ward, Ricci, M Johnson, Pangman, Gleason, Rauscher, Davis, Auchmoody, Rockefeller
Story by: DIRTcar PR
Photo Credit: DIRTcar Facebook