VALLÉE-JONCTION, Quebec – Jason Hathaway survived a ferocious battle with Mark Dilley and won the Budweiser 300 on Sunday.
Hathaway and Dilley swapped the lead six times in the inaugural NASCAR Canadian Tire Series presented by Mobil 1 race at Autodrome Chaudière and battled to the end on a green-white-checkered finish before Hathaway emerged with the win. It was the fourth series career victory for the driver of the No. 3 Rockstar Energy Drink/HGC Chevrolet out of Dutton, Ontario. Dating back to last season, it was Hathaway’s third triumph in his last five starts.
Dilley settled for second while Steve Mathews, who won his third career pole position earlier in the day, crossed the line in the third position. Defending and three-time series champion Scott Steckly battled back from a start toward the rear of the field to finish fourth followed by Louis-Philippe Dumoulin in fifth.
Alex Guenette, D.J. Kennington, J.R. Fitzpatrick, Noel Dowler and Jason White completed the top-10 finishers on the day.
The race was postponed to Sunday after persistent rain showers washed out all on-track activity on Saturday.
The NASCAR Canadian Tire Series presented by Mobil 1 returns to Quebec for a July 6 date at Mirabel’s Circuit ICAR for the Jiffy Lube 100 presented by La Petite Bretonne, the season’s second of four road course events.
The inaugural Budweiser 300 from Autodrome Chaudière will be telecast by TSN on Sat., June 21 at 1:30 p.m. ET. French-language coverage will be carried by RDS2 on Fri., July 4 at 8 p.m. and RDS on Wed., July 9 at 7 p.m. ET.
NASCAR Canadian Tire Series pres. by Mobil 1-Budweiser 300
At Autodrome Chaudière
Lap length: 0.25 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (3) Jason Hathaway, Dutton, Ont., Chevrolet, 301 laps, 56.876 mph.
2. (6) Mark Dilley, Barrie, Ont., Ford, 301.
3. (1) Steve Mathews, New Liskeard, Ont., Ford, 301.
4. (14) Scott Steckly, Milverton, Ont., Dodge, 301.
5. (5) L.P. Dumoulin, Trois-Rivières, Que., Dodge, 301.
6. (7) Alex Guenette, Terrebonne, Que., Dodge, 301.
7. (10) D.J. Kennington, St. Thomas, Ont., Dodge, 301.
8. (11) J.R. Fitzpatrick, Ayr, Ont., Chevrolet, 301.
9. (13) Noel Dowler, Sherwood Park, Alta., Chevrolet, 301.
10. (15) Jason White, Sun Peaks, B.C., Dodge, 300.
11. (12) Hugo Vannini, Repentigny, Que., Ford, 298.
12. (8) Andrew Ranger, Roxton Pond, Que., Dodge, 295.
13. (17) Erica Thiering, Sherwood Park, Alta., Dodge, 293.
14. (4) Alex Tagliani, Lachenaie, Que., Dodge, 283.
15. (2) Anthony Simone, Holland Landing, Ont., Dodge, 281.
16. (9) Joey McColm, Ajax, Ont., Dodge, 269.
17. (16) Ray Courtemanche Jr., Montreal, Que., Dodge, 166, accident.
Time of Race: 1 hour 19 minutes 23 seconds
Margin of Victory: .274 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: S.Mathews (68.655 mph, 13.109 seconds)
Caution Flags: 5 for 26 laps.
Lead Changes: 7 among 3 drivers.
Lap Leaders: S. Mathews 1-64; J. Hathaway 65-153; M. Dilley 154-156; J. Hathaway 157-176; M. Dilley 177-232; J. Hathaway 233-299; M. Dilley 300; J. Hathaway 301.
Standings: 1. J. Fitzpatrick, 84; 2. L. Dumoulin, 79; 3. D. Kennington, 76; 4. H. Vannini, 70; 5. J. Hathaway, 68; 6. S. Mathews, 64; 7. R. Courtemanche Jr., 61; 8. S. Steckly, 59; 9. N. Dowler, 57; 10. J. McColm, 56.