BRITT, Iowa—The USMTS Casey’s Cup powered by Swan Energy invaded the Hancock County Speedway Wednesday night, and it was Rodney Sanders of Happy, Texas, invading victory lane at the end of the 40-lap main event.
From the pole position, Stormy Scott took the lead at the drop of the green flag but his twin, Johnny Scott, gained control with right laps complete.
Zack VanderBeek followed into the second spot shortly thereafter and dueled for the top spot with the younger Scott brother, briefly taking the lead on lap 13 before Johnny Scott muscled his way back to the point on lap 14.
The top four battled closely for most of the race until Sanders powered past Johnny Scott on lap 35, and then proceeded to open up a two-second advantage over the final five laps.
Johnny Scott, VanderBeek and Stormy Scott followed the 24-year-old from Happy, Texas, across the finish line while nine-time USMTS national champion Kelly Shryock came from the tenth starting spot to finish fifth.
Ryan Ruter, Casey Arneson, Bryan Rowland, Doug Hillson and Pat Graham rounded out the top ten.
The win was worth $2,000 to the defending USMTS national champ, and the 24th of his USMTS career.
About one-and-a-half hours northwest, the tireless touring titans of the United States Modified Touring Series will be back at it again Thursday night at the Fairmont Raceway in Fairmont, Minn., with hot laps slated for 7:00 and racing to follow.
Joining the program will be the Iron Man Challenge featuring USRA Stock Cars and USRA B-Mods.
Coupons good for $2 off adult general admission will be available for fans on race day at both Fairmont locations as well as locations in Trimont, Truman and Welcome.
The Fairmont Raceway is a high-banked 1/2-mile dirt oval located 1.0 mile south of I-90 (exit 99) on CR 39 (1300 N. Bixby Rd., Fairmont, MN 56031). For more information call (507) 382-4531 or (507) 382-4531 or visit www.fairmontraceway.com online.
The series visits the Rapid Speedway in Rock Rapids, Iowa, on Friday and then wraps up the four-night swing on Saturday at the I-90 Speedway in Hartford, S.D.
To learn more about the United States Modified Touring Series, visit www.usmts.comonline or call 515-832-7944. You can also like us on Facebook atwww.facebook.com/usmts, follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/usmts or check out our YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/usmtstv.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
United States Modified Touring Series
USMTS Casey’s Cup powered by Swan Energy – Farm Boy BBQ Sauce Northern Region presented by Day Motor Sports
Hancock County Speedway, Britt, Iowa
Wednesday, June 4, 2014
Showing finishing position, starting position in parentheses, car number, driver, hometown, chassis/engine builder and money won. All drivers advanced to the “A” Main, with the top 8 re-drawing for starting positions 1-8.
C&R RACING HEAT RACE #1 (8 laps):
1. (2) 1st Johnny Scott, Las Cruces, N.M.
2. (3) 2s Stormy Scott, Las Cruces, N.M.
3. (4) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla.
4. (5) 3 Kelly Shryock, Fertile, Iowa.
5. (6) 72 Doug Hillson, Blooming Prairie, Minn.
6. (1) 73 Troy Swearingen, Forest City, Iowa.
7. (7) 14w Clayton Wagamon, Blaine, Minn.
JRi SHOCKS HEAT RACE #2 (8 laps):
1. (1) 54 Jeremy Houle (R), Ham Lake, Minn.
2. (4) 20 Rodney Sanders, Happy, Texas.
3. (5) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa.
4. (2) V2 Joey Jensen, Harris, Minn.
5. (6) 8h Ryan Ruter, Kanawha, Iowa.
6. (3) 1k Pat Graham, Ames, Iowa.
7. (7) 26g Bob Gierke, Westport, Minn.
EDELBROCK HEAT RACE #3 (8 laps):
1. (1) 2 Casey Arneson (R), Fargo, N.D.
2. (2) 20r Bryan Rowland, Woodward, Okla.
3. (5) 22d Daniel Hilsabeck, Waukee, Iowa.
4. (4) 21 Josh Most, Red Oak, Iowa.
5. (7) 10t Trevor Fecht, Allison, Iowa.
6. (3) 10 Austin Arneson (R), Fargo, N.D.
7. (6) 18a Ryan Schaffer, Corning, Iowa.
CASEY’S GENERAL STORES “A” MAIN (40 laps):
1. (3) 20 Rodney Sanders, Happy, Texas, MBCustom/Geddes, $2000.
2. (4) 1st Johnny Scott, Las Cruces, N.M., Ramirez/ProPower, $1500.
3. (8) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa, LG2/Sput’s, $1000.
4. (1) 2s Stormy Scott, Las Cruces, N.M., LG2/ProPower, $900.
5. (10) 3 Kelly Shryock, Fertile, Iowa, Skyrocket/ASI, $800.
6. (15) 8h Ryan Ruter, Kanawha, Iowa, Sidebiter/Sput’s, $600.
7. (6) 2 Casey Arneson (R), Fargo, N.D., MasterSbilt/Mullins, $650.
8. (2) 20r Bryan Rowland, Woodward, Okla., LG2/ProPower, $600.
9. (14) 72 Doug Hillson, Blooming Prairie, Minn., Skyrocket/Sput’s, $550.
10. (16) 1k Pat Graham, Ames, Iowa, Skyrocket/Karl, $500.
11. (7) 22d Daniel Hilsabeck, Waukee, Iowa, Hughes/Mullins, $450.
12. (11) V2 Joey Jensen, Harris, Minn., GRT/Tim’s, $425.
13. (9) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla., Ramirez/ProPower, $400.
14. (17) 14w Clayton Wagamon, Blaine, Minn., Hughes/Wagamon, $400.
15. (5) 54 Jeremy Houle (R), Ham Lake, Minn., MBCustom/Speedwerx, $350.
16. (12) 21 Josh Most, Red Oak, Iowa, $250.
17. (13) 10t Trevor Fecht, Allison, Iowa, $250.
18. (18) 26g Bob Gierke, Westport, Minn., GRT/Tim’s, $300.
DNS – 73 Troy Swearingen, Forest City, Iowa, Skyrocket/Sput’s, $75.
DNS – 10 Austin Arneson (R), Fargo, N.D., MasterSbilt/Mullins, $90.
DNS – 18a Ryan Schaffer, Corning, Iowa, LG2/Mullins, $90
(R) = Rookie of the Year contender.
Lap Leaders: S. Scott 1-8, J. Scott 9-12, VanderBeek 13, J. Scott 14-34, Sanders 35-40.
Total Laps Led: J. Scott 25, S. Scott 8, Sanders 6, VanderBeek 1.
Margin of Victory: 2.047 seconds.
Provisional Starters: none.
Sybesma Graphics Pole Award: J. Scott.
Mesilla Valley Transportation Hard Charger: Ruter (started 15th, finished 6th).
Next Race: Thursday, June 5, Fairmont Raceway, Fairmont, Minn.
Farm Boy BBQ Sauce Northern Region Points: VanderBeek 453, S. Scott 441, J. Scott 425, Shryock 414, Ramirez 406, Jensen 371, Hilsabeck 362, Rowland 361, Wagamon 344, C. Arneson 294.
Rookie of the Year Points: Jake Gallardo 1703, Adam Penn 1036, Cade Dillard 825, Dylan Smith 795, Shane Sprinkle 775.
COMP Cams Engine Builder of the Year Points: ProPower 231, Sput’s 216, Geddes 158, Mullins 139, AOS 110.
Manufacturers Championship Points: LG2 236, Ramirez 201, MBCustom 198, GRT 169, Hughes 142.
American Racer – S. Scott.
Beyea Custom Headers – J. Scott.
Brass Monkey Racing Products – Gierke.
C&R Racing – J. Scott.
Edelbrock – C. Arneson.
FK Rod Ends – Houle.
Forty9Designs.com – Wagamon.
Fuel Safe – not awarded.
GRT Race Cars – Jensen.
Hooker Harness – Ramirez.
JRi Shocks – Houle.
KEVKO Oil Pans & Components – Hillson.
Keyser Manufacturing – Graham.
Marsh Racing Wheels – not awarded.
Mesilla Valley Transportation – not awarded.
MSD Ignition – Sanders, J. Scott.
PBM Performance Products – Sanders.
Power Lift Racing Products – not awarded.
Real Racing Wheels – not awarded.
Sybesma Graphics – J. Scott.
VP Racing Fuels – Sanders.
USMTS Press Release
Photo Credit: USMTS