MILLVILLE, N.J. – Noah Gragson edged past Dominique Van Wieringen with eight laps remaining in the JustDrive.com 125 Saturday night at New Jersey Motorsports Park to earn his second NASCAR K&N Pro Series East victory.
The 17-year-old powered his SPEEDVEGAS/AlertID/Colliers International Ford through the field after dropping from third to fifth at the halfway break. He battled his way into the top three and then to the second position. With eight laps remaining in the 55 lap feature, the NASCAR Next driver edged his way past Van Wieringen for the win.
Gragson and his Jefferson Pitts Racing team celebrated their first trip to Victory Lane in the East at Stafford (Conn.) Motor Speedway on June 17.
This marks Gragson’s third consecutive road course victory. He won both the NASCAR K&N Pro Series West races last weekend at Utah Motorsports Park in the series’ first ever doubleheader on back-to-back days at the same venue.
Current K&N Pro Series East championship points leader Justin Haley finished second, while runner-up Kyle Benjamin finished third. With the Dover International Speedway finale two weeks away, Haley holds a 29-point lead over Benjamin in the championship standings.
Van Wieringen and Collin Cabre rounded out the top five, while Ruben Garcia Jr., Tyler Dippel, Tyler Hughes, Austin Hill and Hunter Baize completed the top 10.
The NASCAR K&N Pro Series East will be back in action on Sept. 30 when the series heads to Dover International Speedway to crown its 2016 champion.
NASCAR K&N PRO SERIES EAST-JustDrive.com 125 Results
At New Jersey Motorsports Park
Lap length: 2.3 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
- (3) Noah Gragson, Las Vegas, N.V., Ford, 55 laps, 82.755 mph.
- (1) Justin Haley, Winamac, IN, Chevrolet, 55.
- (2) Kyle Benjamin, Easley, S.C., Chevrolet, 55.
- (8) Collin Cabre, Tampa, FL, Toyota, 55.
- (9) Dominique Van Wieringen, Amherstburg, Ont., Ford, 55.
- (7) Ruben Garcia Jr., Mexico City, Mexico, Toyota, 55.
- (10) Tyler Dippel, Wallkill, N.Y., Chevrolet, 55.
- (15) Tyler Hughes, Cordova, MD, Ford, 55.
- (4) Austin Hill, Winston, Ga., Toyota, 55.
- (12) Hunter Baize, Bremen, Ky., Chevrolet, 55.
- (6) Enrique Baca, Monterrey, Mexico, Toyota, 55.
- (11) Spencer Davis, Dawsonville, Ga., Toyota, 55.
- (13) Ali Kern, Fremont, Ohio, Toyota, 55.
- (14) John Holleman IV, Winston-Salem, N.C., Ford, 54.
- (5) Harrison Burton, Huntersville, N.C., Toyota, 35, suspension.
Time of Race: 1 hour 31 minutes 43 seconds
Margin of Victory: 2.030 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: J.Haley (99.473 mph, 83.239 seconds)
Caution Flags: 1 for 1 laps.
Lead Changes: 5 among 5 drivers.
Lap Leaders: J. Haley 1; D. Van Wieringen 2-5; S. Davis 6-9; J. Holleman IV 10-29; D. Van
Wieringen 30-47; N. Gragson 48-55.
Standings: 1. J. Haley, 539; 2. K. Benjamin, 510; 3. T. Dippel, 438; 4. N. Gragson, 434; 5. H. Baize, 434; 6. C. Cabre, 424; 7. S. Davis, 421; 8. H. Burton, 406; 9. J. Holleman IV, 400; 10. D. Van Wieringen, 388.
-NASCAR Integrated Marketing Communications Press Release. Photo credit: NASCAR Home Tracks