According to the Raleigh News & Observer, North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper has ordered the closure of Ace Speedway effective immediately, declaring the venue an imminent hazard.
The News & Observer reports that Cooper and Dr. Mandy Cohen, Secretary of the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (NCDHHS), said Ace Speedway could open again if it presents a plan to adhere to state guidelines and that plan is approved by NCDHHS.
The order also states Ace Speedway must notify the public by 5 p.m. Tuesday, June 9 that its upcoming events are canceled until June 22. As of 1 p.m. Tuesday, no announcement had been made by the track on its website or social media platforms.
Ace Speedway is not scheduled to race this weekend, with its next planned event slated for June 19.
Most recently, Ace Speedway hosted the CARS Tour on June 6 with fans in attendance. The track hosted its first event of 2020 on May 23, with another event on May 30. Currently, outdoor events under Governor Cooper’s executive order are not allowed to exceed 25 people in attendance, a number all three races at Ace clearly exceeded.
Governor Cooper hinted at the possibility of further action towards Ace Speedway during a press conference Monday afternoon.
“People shouldn’t run a money-making operation that puts in danger, not only their customers, but anyone who would come into contact with their customers,” said Coooper. “This is a reckless decision being made by the owners, pulling people together in that way, that can cause spread of the virus.
“Alamance is one of the counties that is having higher numbers than it should and we’re looking forward to taking action against it in the coming week.”
To this point, Alamance County Sheriff Terry S. Johnson has not enforced the Governor’s executive order in regards to Ace Speedway. In a statement released Monday night, Sheriff Johnson stated he would not issue a citation to the facility for the June 6 event.
“I assure you that I respect the Office of the Governor of North Carolina but I have serious reservations on the legality of his order,” said Johnson in the statement.
Attempts to reach track promoter Jason Turner for comment were unsuccessful.
-Story by: Zach Evans, Speed51 Content Supervisor – Twitter: @ztevans
-Photo Credit: Speed51 Photo