Daugherty Speedway in Indiana planned a racing event for Saturday despite an ongoing legal battle regarding the event. Those plans were canceled on Friday, after government officials barricaded roads leading to the facility.
The Indiana dirt track had successfully negotiated for practices to take place in the state of Indiana starting May 11, according to a post on the track’s Facebook page. However, information distributed by Indiana Governor Eric Holcomb stated race tracks fell under the category of sports venues and entertainment in the state’s reopening plans, which would not allow any racing events at this time.
Still, the venue had already made plans to race on Saturday, May 9, selling out tickets for the event, and carried on with that plan. Thus, the Indiana State Department of Health issued a cease and desist order on the track for the event.
“We regret to inform you that we have exhausted all options to race on Saturday May 9, 2020. And will be cancelling the event based on our legal counsels recommendation,” Daugherty Speedway said in a statement on the track’s Facebook page.
Track owner Michael Daugherty proceeded to go live on Facebook, showing the track barricaded and preventing access to the facility.
“As a private citizen in Indiana, I cannot access my private property,” said Daugherty. “I have called the Sherriff. They say they are calling the Emergency Management Director, Jason Fisher. They have informed me that the east end had an area where emergency personnel can get in. As you can see, there is no way, if we were to have a fire or anything at the track, they would burn down because they cannot get through.
“My question is, how is this legal that someone can deny me access to private property that I’ve purchased and pay taxes on and shut me out of it so that I can’t even shut my water off with freezing temperatures tonight.”
All tickets will be refunded for the event, despite some fans asking the track to keep their money.
“We will be refunding 100% of any monies paid. There have been several individuals that wanted to use it to donate, but it is easier if we refund 100% of the fees at once through our ticket processor.
“Thank you to everyone that stood behind us while we attempted to open up.”
Without the event taking place, the track is now organizing a protest at the Benton County Courthouse on Saturday at 1 p.m. ET.
“The Benton County Sheriff as well as Emergency Management Director Jason Fisher have attacked our civil liberties,” reads the Facebook post announcing the protest.
“Here is what we are doing! A Rally at the Benton County Sheriff’s Department at 1pm EST tomorrow Saturday May 9th. Bring signs calling for the resignation of EMS Director Jason Fisher and Sheriff Don Munson.
“Bring signs. We will try to get Food Trucks and News crews there. We need your help to let them know they work for us, the American Citizens! Please share!”
-Story by: Zach Evans, Speed51 Content Supervisor – Twitter: @ztevans
-Photo credit: Daugherty Speedway Facebook