IRWINDALE, Calif. – Todd Gilliland is making it look easy to compete and win the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East and West.
Gilliland started from the pole and took the lead back from Ryan Partridge on Lap 123 to win the Toyota/NAPA Auto Parts 150 at California’s Irwindale Speedway. His victory was his second consecutive victory in his second straight start in the West.
More impressively, the third-generation driver from Sherrills Ford, N.C., now joins the history books as a driver to earn three wins in his first three career starts in both the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East and West.
The 15-year-old collected his first two victories in his debuts at Arizona’s Phoenix International Raceway in November during the West finale and in February at Florida’s New Smyrna Speedway at the East opener.
Gilliland took the lead on Lap 1 and remained out front until he was passed for the lead by Gracin Raz on Lap 4.
Despite falling from the top spot, Gilliland remained in the top 10 throughout the race and worked his way back into second halfway through the race. He was able to pass Partridge on Lap 123 to kick start his trip to Victory Lane.
Gilliland withstood a challenge by Partridge on a restart on Lap 135 after the seventh and final caution flag was thrown to go on to win by nearly two seconds.
Defending series champion Chris Eggelston finished third with Noah Gragson and Johnny Borneman completing the top five.
Riley Herbst was sixth with Hannah Newhouse, Julia Landauer, Cole Rouse and Trevor Huddleston rounding out the top 10.
The Toyota/NAPA Auto Parts 150 will be broadcast on NBCSN on Friday, March 25 at 9 p.m. ET.
NASCAR K&N PRO SERIES WEST-Toyota/NAPA Auto Parts 150 Results
Lap length: 0.5 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (1) Todd Gilliland, Sherrills Ford, N.C., Toyota, 150 laps, 65.217 mph.
2. (3) Ryan Partridge, Rancho Cucamonga, Calif., Ford, 150.
3. (7) Chris Eggleston, Erie, Colo., Toyota, 150.
4. (6) Noah Gragson, Las Vegas, NV, Ford, 150.
5. (14) Johnny Borneman, Ramona, CA, Chevrolet, 150.
6. (5) Riley Herbst, Las Vegas, Nev., Toyota, 150.
7. (12) Hannah Newhouse, Twin Falls, Idaho, Ford, 150.
8. (10) Julia Landauer, New York, N.Y., Toyota, 150.
9. (8) Cole Rouse, Fort Smith, Ark., Ford, 150.
10. (15) Trevor Huddleston, Agoura Hills, Calif., Chevrolet, 150.
11. (19) Colton Nelson, Meridian, Idaho, Ford, 150.
12. (18) Parker Stephens, Olympia, Wash., Chevrolet, 150.
13. (11) Ron Norman, Tucson, Ariz., Ford, 150.
14. (2) Gracin Raz, Lake Oswego, Ore., Ford, 150.
15. (22) Jack Sellers, Sacramento, CA, Chevrolet, 150.
16. (20) John Wood, Eagle, ID, Chevrolet, 150.
17. (21) Takuma Koga, Nagoya, Japan, Chevrolet, 148.
18. (9) Blaine Perkins, Bakersfield, Calif., Chevrolet, 147.
19. (13) Matt Levin, Tucson, Ariz., Ford, 145.
20. (24) Jesse Iwuji, Dallas, Texas, Chevrolet, 143.
21. (4) Blaine Rocha, Oakdale, Calif., Chevrolet, 112, suspension.
22. (23) Rich DeLong III, Santa Clarita, Calif., Chevrolet, 92, clutch.
23. (17) Juan Esteban Garcia, Bogota, Colombia, Chevrolet, 89, rear end.
24. (16) Todd Souza, Watsonville, Calif., Toyota, 77, rear end.
Time of Race: 1 hour 9 minutes 0 seconds
Margin of Victory: 1.962 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: T. Gilliland * (100.017 mph, 17.997 seconds)
Caution Flags: 7 for 39 laps.
Lead Changes: 5 among 4 drivers.
Lap Leaders: T. Gilliland 1-5; G. Raz 6-42; C. Eggleston 43-44; G. Raz 45-89; R. Partridge 90-122; T. Gilliland 123-150.
Standings: 1. T. Gilliland, 47; 2. R. Partridge, 43; 3. C. Eggleston, 42; 4. N. Gragson, 40; 5. J. Borneman, 39; 6. R. Herbst, 38; 7. H. Newhouse, 37; 8. J. Landauer, 36; 9. C. Rouse, 35; 10. T. Huddleston, 34.
-NASCAR Integrated Marketing Communications Press Release
-Photo credit: NASCAR Home Tracks