MERIDIAN, Idaho — Todd Gilliland capitalized on a mistake made by Ryan Partridge late in the NAPA Auto Parts/Idaho 208 to take home his sixth NASCAR K&N Pro Series West trophy of the year.
Gilliland, 16, a Sherrills Ford, North Carolina, native started the race fifth and picked his way through the field to move into second behind Partridge, who had led a total of 121 laps before being overtaken by the NASCAR Next driver.
Partridge, 28, from Rancho Cucamonga, California, held off a charging Gilliland until late in the race when the Sunoco Rookie of the Year contender slipped past him for the lead with 73 laps remaining. This started the back and forth lead change between the two championship contenders for the duration of the 208-lap event.
With five laps remaining at Meridian (Idaho) Speedway, a multi-car wreck occurred to force the field to a stop on a red flag. When the race resumed ten laps later, it was for a green-white-checkered attempt. Gilliland and Partridge were battling side-by-side, when Partridge made a costly mistake that caused him to spin and Gilliland cruised to his sixth Victory Lane celebration of the year.
The rookie will head into the season finale with a 25-point lead over Partridge (558-533).
Gilliland’s fellow Bill McAnally Racing teammate and NASCAR Next classmate, Julia Landauer, finished second to tie the record for the highest finishing female in the NASCAR K&N Pro Series West as well as earn her best career finish.
NASCAR Next alumna Nicole Behar finished third, while Cole Rouse and Gracin Raz rounded out the top five.
Noah Gragson, Stafford Smith, Rich DeLong III, Chris Eggleston and Blaine Perkins completed the top 10.
The NAPA Auto Parts/Idaho 208 will air on NBCSN, Friday, September 30 at 12:30 p.m. ET/10:30 a.m. MT.
The NASCAR K&N Pro Series West will be back in action on Saturday, October 15 for the season finale at California’s All American Speedway.
-NASCAR Home Tracks Press Release
NASCAR K&N PRO SERIES WEST-NAPA Auto Parts / Idaho “208” Results
At Meridian Speedway – Meridian, Idaho; Lap length: 0.25 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
- (5) Todd Gilliland, Sherrils Ford, N.C., Toyota, 216 laps, 36.756 mph.
- (8) Julia Landauer, New York, N.Y., Toyota, 216.
- (9) Nicole Behar, Spokane, WA, Toyota, 216.
- (6) Cole Rouse, Fort Smith, Ark., Ford, 216.
- (7) Gracin Raz, Lake Oswego, Ore., Ford, 216.
- (4) Noah Gragson, Las Vegas, NV, Ford, 216.
- (18) Stafford Smith, Eagle, Idaho., Toyota, 216.
- (14) Rich DeLong III, Santa Clarita, Calif., Chevrolet, 216.
- (2) Chris Eggleston, Erie, Colo., Toyota, 216.
- (10) Blaine Perkins, Bakersfield, Calif., Chevrolet, 216.
- (1) Ryan Partridge, Rancho Cucamonga, Calif., Ford, 216.
- (11) Ron Norman, Tucson, Ariz., Ford, 216.
- (12) Colton Nelson, Meridian, Idaho, Ford, 215.
- (15) Sting Ray Robb, Payette, Idaho, Chevrolet, 215.
- (16) Larry Hull, Boise, Idaho, Ford, 215.
- (13) Hannah Newhouse, Twin Falls, Idaho, Ford, 214.
- (17) John Wood, Eagle, ID, Chevrolet, 212.
- (19) Jesse Iwuji, Carrolton, Texas, Chevrolet, 210.
- (3) Riley Herbst, Las Vegas, Nev., Toyota, 209.
- (21) Dan Phillippi, Los Angeles, Calif., Toyota, 198, oil leak.
- (20) Salvatore Iovino, Los Angeles, Calif., Toyota, 188, accident.
Time of Race: 1 hour 28 minutes 9 seconds
Margin of Victory: 1.00 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: R.Partridge (69.003 mph, 13.043 seconds)
Caution Flags: 13 for 92 laps.
Lead Changes: 5 among 3 drivers.
Lap Leaders: R. Partridge 1-60; C. Eggleston 61-72; R. Partridge 73-134; T. Gilliland 135-163; R. Partridge 164-214; T. Gilliland 215-216.
Standings: 1. T. Gilliland, 558; 2. R. Partridge, 533; 3. N. Gragson, 512; 4. G. Raz, 498; 5. J. Landauer, 487; 6. R. Herbst, 478; 7. C. Eggleston, 475; 8. C. Rouse, 471; 9. B. Perkins, 440; 10. J. Iwuji, 376.