Newton, N.C. – Each time the Southern Modified Racing Series (SMRS) races, Jeremy Gerstner drives between nine and 10 hours one way from Wesley Chapel, Fla. to compete. All those miles paid off Saturday when Gerstner won the Independence Bash 125 at Hickory Motor Speedway – his career first series victory.
Gerstner started in seventh position and with the drop of the green immediately started racing forward and took command by lap seven. He led until lap 56 when he got caught in lapped traffic yielding the top spot to Bobby Measmer with Burt Myers taking second and then ultimately the lead.
A caution on lap 69 sent the field to pit road and jumbled the running order and Tyler Truex in command. Gerstner re-started sixth but again charged forward and on lap 74 he was back at the point, taking the top spot from Brandon Ward.
From that point, the fans were treated to a thriller as Gerstner lead with Burt Myers applying constant pressure, even alongside the leader multiple times.
A caution on lap 108 would slow the field and rain at the point halted the event. Series official waited nearly an hour before the decision was made to end the night with Gerstner getting the victory.
Burt Myers finished in the second spot with John Smith third. Danny Bohn and Bobby Measmer Jr. completed the top five.
The completion of the Hickory race marks the halfway point of the season. The series returns to action Friday, July 21 at Caraway Speedway.
Independence Bash 125 Southern Modified Racing Series Feature:
1. Jeremy Gerstner, Wesley Chapel, Fla.
2. Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C.
3. John Smith, Mt. Airy, N.C.
4. Danny Bohn, Freehold, N.J.
5. Bobby Measmer Jr., Concord, N.C.
6. Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C.
7. Brandon Ward, Winston-Salem, N.C.
8. Tim Brown, Tobaccoville, N.C.
9. Tyler Truex, West Creek, N.J.
10. Gary Putnam, Concord, N.C.
11. Mike Norman, Fayetteville, Tenn.
12. Tom Buzze, Maiden, N.C.
13. Austin Thompson, High Point, N.C.
14. Jason Tutterow, Winston-Salem, N.C.
15. William Smith, Mt. Airy, N.C.
16. Ron Souders
-Southern Modified Racing Series Press Release. Photo credit: Speed51.com