Chad Chastain and Troy DeCaire took home feature wins from Saturday night’s Pro Truck/Winged Sprint Car twin bill at Desoto Speedway.
A nine-truck inversion of the thirty one truck field put Cory Bigley of Naples on the pole and Chastain from Alva, third to start the 50-lap Q Auto & Injury Attoneys, Desoto Pro Truck race.
At the end of the first lap Chastain got by outside polesitter for second place and took the lead from Bigley two laps later. A caution flew for Robert St. John’s spin brought out the event’s third caution on lap 10. That set a chain of restarts that resulted in several spins and several laps run under caution.
On the lap 20 restart Blake Haddock went from fourth to second and was closing on Chastain when the caution flew again for a crash involving several trucks in turn three.
Haddock who traveled from Hilliard, which is close to the Georgia line, to lead on restart from outside. Two laps later, Haddock slid high in turn four allowing Chastain to retake the lead. Chastain and Haddock were starting to pull away from third place runner Rodney Haddock when the caution flew again for a spin on lap 32.
After a rash of cautions Chastain was setting sail from the rest of the pack when trouble broke out between Scott Hogan of Naples and Danny Anderson of Bradenton in turns three and four. Hogan was forced to pit for a new tire while Anderson’s night came to an end.
Chastain held off a challenge from Haddock and Nick Neri on the the restart and immediately began pulling away. Super Late Model driver and Fast qualifier, Nick Neri got by Haddock with three laps left but ran out of time to catch Chastain.
Neri, Blake Haddock, Monopoli and Cody McDuffie rounded out the top five. The 30-lap Wing Sprint Car feature was a three-man battle between Troy DeCaire, Mickey Kempgens and Shane Butler. Kempgens gained the lead on the start and paced the first half of the race with DeCaire directly on his tail.
Around the halfway point Kemphens and DeCaire caught some heavy traffic, which allowed DeCaire to pull alongside Kempgens for the lead. The duo made contact coming through turn three and four before Kempgens escaped with the top spot.
The contact allowed Butler to close in on the lead battle before a caution flew for a hard crash by Troy Thompson.
Kempgens briefly pulled away on the restart and was able to hold off several challenges from DeCaire. With three laps left, DeCaire used lapped traffic to dive past Kempgens for the lead.
DeCaire went the rest of the way unchallenged to claim the victory, which he dedicated to his mother. Earlier Saturday, Sandi DeCaire lost her long battle with cancer. In other action Saturday night, Mike Belusar of Punta Gorda won the TQ Midget feature; Seth Adams from Lakeland won the 25-lap Legends feature; and Logan Allen of N. Ft Myers held on to win the Modified Mini feature.
Next week, Sportsmen, the LKQ Pick Your Part Pure Stocks, Take Aim Gun Range Street Stocks, Mini Stocks, Bombers and School Bus Figure 8’s headline the racing action at Desoto Speedway.
DESOTO SPEEDWAY RACE RESULTS
1. 36 Chad Chastain Alva
2. 99n Nick Neri Palmetto Fast Qualifier
3. 18 Blake Haddock Hilliard
4. 59x Becca Monoopoli
5. 25 Cody McDuffie Lakeland
6. 13g J.R. Garcia Balm
7. 84 Bill Vandevender Ft. Myers
8. 93 Jeff Firestine Venice
9. 6 Tim Ryan Miami
10. 3p Derek Pugh West Palm
11. 26 Bryan Hillyer North Port
12. 33 Bubba Thompson Sarasota
13. 43 Marina Petty Venice
14. 8 Sean Lamaster Napled
15. 12 Scott Hogan Naples
16. 50 Danny Anderson Bradenton
17. 37 Michael Goddard Naples
18 39 Phillip Johnson Naples
19. 75 Robert St. John Arcadia
20. 99 Cody Martell Arcadia
21. 28 Corey Bigley Naples
22. 31 Rodney Haadock
23. 32 Dean ButrumVenice
24. 20 David Patterson Noryh Port
25. 3 Duane Best Myakka
26. 13h Taylor Hasford Madison
27. 17 Johnny Cassidy Arcadia
28. 14 Sam Scott Naples
29. 67 Jimmie Best Sarasota
30. 38 Jeremy Goddard Naples
31. 74 Dave Pletcher Webster
1. 91 Troy DeCaire Tampa
2. 5 Mickey Kempkens Tampa
3. 15 Shane Butler Bushnell
4. 2 Larry Brazil Tampa
5. 92 Dave Retzlaff Brooksvill
6. 16 Ernie Teed Sarasota
7. 99 Matthew Hall Apollo Beach
8. 55 Tommy Nichols Tampa
9. 22 Johny Gillbertson Dover
10. 85 Rex Hollinger Titusville
11. 4. Travis Bliemaster Venice
12. 84 Rick Hall Apolli Beach
13. 3 Jeff Firestine Venice
14. 81 Troy Thompson Brooksville
15. 63 CarlieYent Tampa
16. 8 Kurt Taylor Bradenton
17. 6 Matt Alfonso Zephyhills D.N.S.
1. 68 Logan Allen N. Ft Myers
2. 86 Fred Pacaulcini Bradenton
3. 72 Darrin Ellis Myakka
4. 55 Tom Zimmerman Largo
5. 4 Donnie Powers Myakka City
6. 6d Dave Davis Bradenton
7. 77 Lee Davis Lakeland
8. 6f Jimmy Frazier Avon Park
9. 67 Bo Davis Lakeland
10.77r Rachelle Rudolph Tampa
11. 17 Jimmy Wood Bradenton
1. 5 Seth Adams Lakeland
2.07 Dave Gleason Orlando
3.24 Cameron McGee Weekiwachee
4. 9 Mitch Verrhaagh Orlando
5. 01 Cameron Cruse Sarasota
6. 13 Alan Heifnar Merit Island
7. 7 Mike Verhaagh Fort Myers D.N.S.
8. 15 Brandon Thompson Pinellas Park D.N.S.
1. 23 Mike Belusar Punta Gorda
2. 7 Bob Kohler Naples
3.44 Scott Roboski North Port
4. 4 Ernie Teed Sarasota
5. 17 Mike Nelson Tampa
6. 41 Doug Marshall Sarasota
7. 2 Sam Manscuso Naples D.N.S.
8. 23 Phil Haddad Ruskin D.N.S.
– Desoto Speedway press release and supplied photos