EASTABOGA, AL – Cars powered by economical Chevrolet Performance Sealed Racing Engines swept the 25th Annual Icebowl on Sunday at Talladega Short Track in Eastaboga, AL. David Brannon of Elora, TN won the Super Late Model race, William Thomas of Phenix City, AL won the NeSmith Late Model Race, and Jay Burchfield of Columbus, MS won the NeSmith Street Stock race.
Brannon drove the Elora Gin Company Special powered by a $7,195 all-aluminum Chevrolet Performance CT525 Racing Engine to victory in the caution-free Super Late Model 50 lap race and the $6,000 top prize. Brannon’s win made it four straight Icebowl Super Late Model wins. Ross Martin of Talladega, AL was the 2013 winner, Thomas took the win in 2014, and Tim Roszell of Anniston, AL was the 2015 winner.
Thomas drove the J.W. Miller Land and Timber Special to a $3,000 victory in the NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series 50-lap main event, Round 1 of the eight-race RockAuto.com Winter Shootout. Thomas’ second Icebowl Trophy was earned with a $5,795 Chevrolet Performance 604 Racing Engine.
Burchfield went wire-to-wire in the Burchfield Body Shop Chevrolet, with a unique station body, complete with a luggage rack, based on a Chevrolet Monte Carlo, and dubbed the “Grocery Getter” to win the 25-lap NeSmith Performance Parts Street Stock Division main event. Burchfield can buy a lot of groceries with his $2,500 top prize. The Grocery Getter is powered by a $3,495 Chevrolet Performance 602 Racing Engine.
The Chevrolet Performance CT525, the Chevrolet Performance 604 and the Chevrolet Performance 602 are racing engines that are built and sealed at the factory to prevent any expensive modifications.
Donald McIntosh of Dawsonville, GA finished second in the Super Late Model feature race, with Fast Qualifier Jason Hiett of Lincoln, AL taking the third spot. Tim Busha of Boaz, AL came from the 14th starting spot to finish fourth and earn the Hard Charger of the Race Award. Ethan Hunter was fifth, Michael Page came home in sixth, Thomas took the seventh spot, Austin Kirkpatrick finished eighth, Roszell was ninth, and Brian Connor rounded out the top ten.
The 25th Annual Icebowl lived up to its billing, as the temperature was 31 degrees at feature race time, with a feels like temperature of 27 degrees. Despite the chill in the air, a good crowd was on hand to see Sunday’s races in six different divisions.
Brannon started on the pole position for the Super Late Model feature, with the defending race champion Roszell starting to his right on the front row, Brannon and Roszell waged a side-by-side war for the point in the opening laps with Roszell leading the first two laps, Brannon leading lap three, Roszell led the fourth lap and Brannon led lap five.
Roszell took the lead on lap six, and held it for five laps, until Brannon drove under Roszell on lap 11 to take the lead he would never relinquish. McIntosh tried to move up to challenge in the closing laps of the race, but was unable to mount a challenge.
Trailing Thomas in the NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series main event were Ray Cook of Brasstown, NC finishing second, with third going to Chase Edge of LaFayette, AL. Fast Qualifier and pole sitter Jimmy Elliott of Cleveland, TN took the fourth spot, and John Ownbey of Cleveland, TN was fifth.
The 2015 Sunoco Young Guns Challenge Series Champion, 13-year-old Cruz Skinner of Oxford, AL took the sixth spot and Ethan Hunter of Chattanooga, TN finished seventh. Ryan King of Seymour, TN was eighth, while Greg Martin of Oliver Springs, TN claimed the ninth spot, and Brandon Williams of Crossville, TN rounded out the top ten.
The track was multi-groove for the NeSmith Late Models, as Elliott found the bottom groove to his liking early in the race, as the polesitter paced the field for the first 14 tours. Cook dusted off the top shelf of Talladega Short Track, and sailed around the outside of Elliott to take the lead on lap 15. Thomas found a groove he liked in the middle of the track.
Thomas methodically worked his way to the front of the pack, and took the lead from Cook on lap 32. Once he established himself in the lead, Thomas never looked back and led the rest of the way unchallenged.
Second through tenth respectively in the NeSmith Performance Parts Street Stock Division main event were Mark Haddon of Estill Springs, TN, Tyler Hurst of Lineville, AL, Ronald Dunn of Corinth, MS, Booger Brooks of Chattanooga, TN, Johnny Stokes of Columbus, MS, Justin McRee of Woodstock, AL, Chad Comer of Warren, TX, Trevor Woodard of Mount Pleasant, TN, and Wyatt Hill of Finley, TN.
Burchfield took the lead at the start of the race from the pole position, and immediately began to put distance between himself and teammates Dunn and McRee. Burchfield led all 25 laps to earn the victory.
For more information and rules about the NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series, visit the series web site at www.nesmithracing.com, or visit the series on Facebook at NeSmith Racing. Becoming a fan of the NeSmith Racing Facebook page will make you eligible for special prizes that will be given away each month. You can follow us on Twitter @NeSmithRacing.
-NeSmith Racing Press Release. Photo credit: Talladega Short Track Facebook
OFFICIAL FINISHES FOR SUPER LATE MODELS, NeSMITH CHEVROLET DIRT LATE MODEL SERIES AND NeSMITH PERFORMANCE PARTS STREET STOCK DIVISION AT THE 25TH ANNUAL ICEBOWL AT TALLADEGA SHORT TRACK IN EASTABOGA, AL ON 1/10/16:
SUPER LATE MODELS:
POS STRT CAR # DRIVER HOMETOWN LAPS
1. 1 33 David Brannon Elora, TN 50
2. 3 7 Donald McIntosh Dawsonville, GA 50
3. 5 1 Jason Hiett Lincoln, AL 50
4. 14 15 Tim Busha Boaz, AL 50
5. 6 15h Ethan Hunter Chattanooga, TN 50
6. 12 18 Michael Page Douglasville, GA 50
7. 4 A19 William Thomas Phenix City, AL 50
8. 8 58 Austin Kirkpatrick Ocala, FL 50
9. 2 25 Tim Roszell Anniston, AL 50
10. 9 77 Brian Connor Augusta, GA 49
11. 18 86 Brian Rickman Columbus, MS 49
12. 10 15b Brian Smith Sand Rock, AL 49
13. 11 11 Cruz Skinner Oxford, AL 49
14. 13 35 Dallas Cooper Talladega, AL 49
15. 24 29 Jason Welshan Maryville, TN 49
16. 22 62 Cody King McDonough, GA 49
17. 15 376 Mark Bangs Rainbow City, AL 48
18. 9 57 Josh Adkins Talladega, AL 48
19. 23 85 Tom Maddox Centre, AL 48
20. 20 G9 Eric Grainger Dallas, GA 48
21. 19 55 Terrance Nowell Phenix City, AL 48
22. 16 15h Luke Hoffner Tubotville, PA 48
23. 17 41 Ted Lackey Munford, AL 32
24. 21 53 Ray Cook Brasstown, NC 7
NeSMITH CHEVROLET DIRT LATE MODEL SERIES:
POS STRT CAR # DRIVER HOMETOWN LAPS
1. 9 19 William Thomas Phenix City, AL 50
2. 5 53 Ray Cook Brasstown, NC 50
3. 12 18 Chase Edge LaFayette, AL 50
4. 1 J39 Jimmy Elliott Cleveland, TN 50
5. 10 25 John Ownbey Cleveland, TN 50
6. 14 11 Cruz Skinner – Y Oxford, AL 50
7. 13 3 Ethan Hunter Chattanooga, TN 50
8. 2 30 Ryan King Seymour, TN 50
9. 8 24 Greg Martin Oliver Springs, TN 50
10. 3 95 Brandon Williams Crossville, TN 50
11. 6 17x Adam Gauldin Talladega, AL 50
12. 20 14 Tyler Clem – Y St. Petersburg, FL 50
13. 21 39 Eddie King Jr. Knoxville, TN 49
14. 24 C57 Dallas Cooper Talladega, AL 49
15. 18 57 Josh Adkins Talladega, AL 49
16. 16 14x Will Herrington Cochran, GA 48
17. 17 29 Jason Welshan Maryville, TN 33
18. 22 521 Mickey Trosclair Luling, LA 27
19. 15 85 Tom Maddox Centre, AL 26
20. 7 00m Monte Skinner Saraland, AL 22
21. 11 23 Ahnna Parkhurst – Y Evans, GA 16
22. 4 8 Grant Pearl Anniston, AL 15
23. 23 22 Will Roland – Y Jasper, GA 12
24. 19 5 Rodney Weaver Danville, AL 6
Y – Denotes Sunoco Young Guns Challenge Series Driver
NeSMITH PERFORMANCE PARTS STREET STOCK DIVISION:
POS STRT CAR # DRIVER HOMETOWN LAPS
1. 1 25 Jay Burchfield Columbus, MS 25
2. 7 50 Mark Haddon Estill Springs, TN 25
3. 6 H2 Tyler Hurst Lineville, AL 25
4. 2 17 Ronald Dunn Corinth, MS 25
5. 14 04 Booger Brooks Chattanooga, TN 25
6. 16 93 Johnny Stokes Columbus, MS 25
7. 5 17xxv Justin McRee Woodstock, AL 25
8. 11 C3 Brad Comer Warren, TX 25
9. 23 15x Trevor Woodard Mt. Pleasant, TN 25
10. 13 3 Wyatt Hill Finley, TN 25
11. 19 15 Joseph Richborg Cantonment, FL 25
12. 21 07 Steve Pate Heflin, AL 25
13. 18 409 Allen Carter Murfreesboro, TN 25
14. 10 S1 John Smartt Manchester, TN 25
15. 15 17t Gary Tucker Fayetteville, TN 25
16. 17 13 Billy Stewart Carriere, MS 25
17. 22 00 Bobby Joe Robinson Falkville, AL 25
18. 20 68 Howie Reeves Crestview, FL 25
19. 24 42 Michael Sojourner Crystal Springs, MS 23
20. 4 01 Aaron Blumbeboe Lester, AL 19
21. 9 G23 Garrett McDonald Pace, FL 15
22. 8 20 Brooks Strength Raymond, TN 10
23. 3 78 J.J. Hall Ethridge, TN 6
24. 12 10 Michael Blade Culleoka, TN 6
25. 25 21 Russell Chapman Margaret, AL 6