Just a couple of weeks ago Carson Hocevar made news by winning a Super Late Model race at Michigan’s challenging Berlin Raceway at just 13 years old. Now Hocevar is back in the news, but not for winning another race.
Earlier this week, NASCAR announced that Hocevar is too young to be racing at Berlin or any other NASCAR-sanctioned race track. Hocevar has to wait until his 14th birthday – in January – before he can run a NASCAR-sanctioned race.
According to an article on MLive.com, Hocevar, his father Scott, and his KBR Racing Development team made it aware to NASCAR and Berlin Raceway that Carson was just 13 years old at the beginning of the season.
“NASCAR was allowing Carson to race, but they weren’t recognizing him for any NASCAR points or any of the NASCAR licenses or anything like that,” Scott Hocevar told MLive.com. “Berlin also had to take out some types of insurance policy (for drivers under 14).”
NASCAR’s statement on Hocevar cited a “miscommunication.”
“There was an unfortunate miscommunication in conversations between NASCAR and Berlin Raceway that recently came to light and has now been corrected. NASCAR regrets the misunderstanding, but also recognizes that this is an important matter for all involved. NASCAR is taking additional steps to insure that there is no ambiguity regarding age limits with any NASCAR Whelen All-American Series tracks moving forward.”
Carson spoke of his disappointment on Thursday afternoon to Speed51.com powered by JEGS.
“I was really looking forward to the end of the season,” Hocevar said. “I was going to do my best to hopefully try to win a championship. We told ourselves we weren’t going to race for points. We were just going to race for wins. Then we ended up being top five in points as the season started coming to an end in the template super class. But it’s all downhill now.”
Hocevar said NASCAR’s decision was relayed to him, his family, and his race team through an unexpected email earlier this week.
Now that Hocevar can no longer race at Berlin for the rest of the season, he said he and his team already have a plan mostly in place for the remainder of this year.
“It’s not 100-percent scheduled yet, but we are planning on doing some travelling,” he said. “We are pretty much going to do what we were planning on doing after Berlin, but now we’re just going to act like Berlin is already over. This week we are headed to Mansfield, Ohio for the JEGS/CRA All-Stars Tour race.”
Hocevar was not the only driver targeted by NASCAR for being too young this week. According to the Norwich Bulletin, SK Lite Modified driver Andrew Molleur has been suspended by NASCAR for providing false information concerning his age.
Molleur provided allegedly false information on his NASCAR license to show that he is 15 years old when he has now been proven to only be 13 years old. Like Hocevar, Molleur was also a NASCAR Whelen All-American Series winner in July prior to being suspended from NASCAR competition.
-By Rob Blount, Speed51.com Southeast Editor – Twitter: @RobBlount
-Photo Credit: Tom DeVette Photography