(08-30-2014 Dacono, CO) Not even a one hour rain delay could slow down young Dominic Ursetta who methodically worked his way to the front of the field to win the 100 lap Labor Day Super Late Model race at CNS. Ursetta has now won 9 of the 12 events in the 2014 season and has a commanding lead in the season standings. The CNS fans were treated to some great racing as well as a massive FIREWORKS display in celebration of Labor Day 2014.
Gillett Vet Clinic Super Late Models
An incredible field of Super Late Models were on hand for the Labor Day 100 lap special feature event presented by Art’s Septic Services. Former NASCAR National Champion and Challenge Cup winner Steve Carlson flew out from Wisconsin to drive Bruce Yackey’s backup car for the event which added some intrigue and excitement to the evening.
A couple of Darren’s paced the field for the start of the race with #66 Bucklen on the pole and #11 Robertson along side. As if shot from a cannon Darren Robertson jumped out to large lead and began to pull away from the field.
#6 Dominic Ursetta worked his way around Bucklen for 2nd but he was still a long way back from Robertson who was maintaining a furious pace. Yet as Robertson began to encounter heavy lapped traffic Ursetta was able to make up the difference and pull up on his bumper but was unable to make the pass. Behind Bucklen who was running in 3rd, #12 Bruce Yackey, #31 Rick Smith, and #22 Chris Eggleston, battled for position.
The first caution flag didn’t come out until lap 59 when #84 Matt Zwingleberg spun down the front straight. The double-file restart allowed Ursetta to take a shot at Robertson for the lead but Robertson got a great jump on the outside and maintained control of the race.
After another caution Robertson didn’t get the restart he wanted and Ursetta’s patience paid off as he took the lead in the very late stages of the race. Once out in front Ursetta never looked back and went on to win his 9th feature of the season and his 7th in a row! Darren Robertson also had a great race and finished strong in 2nd place with Bruce “the moose” directly behind in 3rd spot. A late race surge from Wisconsin’s Carlson awarded him an impressive 4th place finish with #22 Chris Eggleston rounding out the top 5.
Dominic Ursetta now has a commanding 89 point lead over Bruce Yackey in the points chase.
FEATURE WINNER: #6 Dominic Ursetta
FAST DASH: #6 Dominic Ursetta
DASH: #72 Steve Carlson
QUICK TIME: #22 Chris Eggleston 16.132
SUNOCO Grand American Modifieds
Super Late Model and Mod Coupe ace Cris Muhler unloaded an all white #95 Grand American Modified making it’s first appearance of the 2014 season and paced the field for the start of the feature event. While Cris struggled in his DASH he made the right adjustments for the main event as he jumped out to a large lead on the field.
It looked as if Muhler might cruise to an easy win but the #44 Justin Case from Brighton Colorado took the low groove and worked his way past Muhler to take the lead and the win. Muhler settled for 2nd and Legends champion Kyle Clegg took an impressive 3rd place finish in his 2014 debut in the GAMs.
FEATURE WINNER: #44 Justin Case
FAST DASH: #69 Forrest Smith
QUICK TIME: #22 Kyle Clegg 17.220
NTC Logistics Super Stocks & Lincoln College Pure Stocks
The NTC Logistics Super Stocks and the Lincoln College Pure Stocks ran a combined race at CNS and there were 9 Super Stocks on hand and 13 Pure Stocks. The two divisions made for a great combination as the field of cars were close and competitive all night.
On the first lap of the feature there was a multi-car crash in turn 4 involving Brian Galvin Jr., Jamie Ward, Chan Raley, Mike Steward, Brent Miller, and Joe Mares, while there were no injuries several driver’s nights were finished.
After the lap 1 incident the race went green from flag to flag as the top Super Stock drivers worked their way from the back of the field to the front often times going 4-wide in hair-raising fashion.
Pure Stock driver #10g Brian Galvin had the early lead until Super Stock #8 David Gee took over on lap 9. Right behind the leaders were #3 Michael Cox and #90 Kyle Patee who was making his return to the speedway.
Gee’s luck turned sour when his car suffered a mechanical breakdown and he left the track handing the lead over to the #3 of Cox. Patee was pressuring Cox for the lead on the outside and the two drivers battled for several laps with Patee eventually taking over the position. When the checkered flag flew it was Patee in front and Cox directly behind. An impressive 3rd place finish for #23 George Gallegos and #32 Brett lackey was the highest finishing Pure Stock in 4th position. Rounding out the top 5 was Super Stock #9 Curtis Hildenbrand.
The early race crash allowed both Michael Cox in the Super Stocks and Brett Yackey in the Pure Stocks to capitalize on the misfortune of their closet competitors #19 Brent Miller and #96 Mike Steward for the season points chase.
FEATURE WINNER: #90 Kyle Patee
FAST DASH: #19 Brent Miller
DASH: #69 Derick Brugger
QUICK TIME: #90 Kyle Patee 19.725
FEATURE WINNER: #32 Brett Yackey
FAST DASH: #32 Brett Yackey
DASH: #44 Savanah Gallegos
QUICK TIME: #32 Brett Yackey 20.102
Judge Harry Stone won his first ERA Supermodified feature of the 2014 season outlasting challenges from both #58 Kyle Ray who ran into the back of Stone coming out of turn 2 and #13 Ricky Otts who lost a left rear wheel just after passing Stone for the lead.
Stone is the 4th different winner in the Supermodified division out of just 5 races.
Neither Ray or #3 Harold Evans finished the race keeping the points chase super close with Ray out in front by just a mere 4 points. The “ice man” Roger Avants is within striking distance just 10 points out of the lead.
FEATURE WINNER: #40 Harry Stone
FAST DASH: #13 Ricky Ott
DASH: #40 Harry Stone
QUICK TIME: #58 Kyle Ray 13.939
Super Late Models
Pos No. Name Hometown
1. 6 Dominic Ursetta Arvada CO
2. 11 Darren Robertson Westminster CO
3. 12 Bruce Yackey Greeley CO
4. 72 Steve Carlson
5. 22 Chris Eggleston Thornton CO
6. 31 Rick Smith Gering NE
7. 27 Roger Avants Littleton CO
8. 5 Trent Phillips Hemingford NE
9. 91 Chris Atkinson Cheyenne WY
10. 84 Matt Zwingleberg
11. 4 Bradley Tilton Cheyenne WY
12. 76 Gary Coate (R) Highlands Ranch CO
13. 66 Darren Bucklan Greeley CO
14. 39 Jack Nugent Lafayette CO
15. 55 Jesse Runkle Lakewood CO
16. 21 Odie Robertson Northglenn CO
17. 29 Matt Brunker Lakewood CO
DNS 34 Rudy Vanderwal(R) LaSalle CO
Grand American Modifieds
Pos No. Name Hometown
1. 44 Justin Case Brighton CO
2. 95 Chris Muhler
3. 22c Kyle Clegg
4. 88 Jeff Walbaum Brighton CO
5. 69 Forrest Smith Poverty Flats CO
6. 0 Ron O’Neil Colorado Springs CO
7. 24 Tim Holm Greeley CO
8. 13 Darin Clark (R) Cheyenne WY
9. 66 John Seely Parker CO
10. 61 Scott Slama (R) Denver CO
Super Stock/Pure Stock
Pos No. Name Hometown Class
1. 90 Kyle Patee Super Stock
2. 3 Michael Cox Englewood CO Super Stock
3. 23 George Gallegos Lakewood CO Super Stock
4. 32 Brett Yackey Greeley CO Pure Stock
5. 9 Curtis Heldenbrand Arvada CO Super Stock
6. 02m Scott Miller Super Stock
7. 84 Daniel Mares Aurora CO Pure Stock
8. 02 Darrell Smith Littleton CO Super Stock
9. 3% Will Alvarado Ft. Lupton CO Pure Stock
10. 10G Brian Galvin Pure Stock
11. 21w Jamie Ward Denver CO Pure Stock
12. 44 Savanna Gallegos Pure Stock
13. 51 Thomas Hughes Pure Stock
14. 1 John Clark (R) Commerce City CO Super Stock
15. 69 Derick Brugger(R) Northglenn CO Super Stock
16. 3L Brian Lengvenas Denver CO Pure Stock
17. 96 Mike Steward Pure Stock
18. 8 David Gee Super Stock
19. 4 Brian Galvin Jr Pure Stock
20. 02 Chan Raley Thornton CO Pure Stock
21. 48 Joe Mares Pure Stock
22. 19 Brent Miller(R) Brighton CO Super Stock
DNS 73 Justin Rainwater Windsor CO Pure Stock
Pos No. Name Hometown
1. 40s Harry Stone Broomfield CO
2. 2 Richard Castor Jr Bennett Co
3. 7s Stevie Gallegos Castle Rock CO
4. 1 Jason Castor
5. 27 Roger Avants Littleton CO
6. 51 Joe Priselac Commerce City CO
7. 13 Ricky Otts
8. 3 Harold Evans Littleton CO
9. 12 Cody Castor(R) Bennett CO
10. 58 Kyle Ray(R) Littleton CO
11. 11 Tom Adler