WENATCHEE, Wash. – A Riddle found victory lane for a second straight race in the Tri Track Super Late Model Series, only this time it was Owen Riddle grabbing his Second Career TTSLMS win in the 2nd Annual Neal Newberry 150 at Wenatchee Valley Super Oval.
This was race number 8 of the 9 race season and the second visit to WVSO for the 2015 season. Tayler, Riddles younger brother picked up the win during the first visit in the Leonard Evans 200.
Braeden Havens battled Riddle hard but fell short in Second place. Garrett Evans came from the back of the pack after a Black Flag to finish Third. Josh Roberts and Glenn Knutson rounded out the Top Five.
Tayler Riddle captured fast time for the second straight race with a 12.634 around the fast high banked quarter-mile. T. Riddle would draw 3 for the invert that put Evans on the pole with O. Riddle on the outside pole.
Evans led the field to the green flag with O. Riddle on the outside. Evans and O. Riddle would race side by side for the opening 20 laps trading paint and making contact a few times. Evans would finally take the lead to about 4 cars lengths until a caution on lap 23 after Evans daughter Stephanie spun in turn 2. The restart on Lap 25 would give O. Riddle the chance to get to the outside of Evans and to the Lead. O.Riddle, Evans and T. Riddle would run nose to nail for the next 25 laps as they navigated through lap traffic.
Lap 48 .O Riddle made contact with Clint Habart as he was attempting to put him another lap down and Habart would spin bringing out the yellow. This would start a string of 4 yellows in the next 11 laps with a large wreck on Lap 63. The accident on lap 63 started after contact between Doni Wanat and Andy Sole got together and collect 4 other cars. The next restart would give O. Riddle the lead and T Riddle the chance to get under Evans for 2nd. Evans would make contact with Riddle and get him loose to move back to 2nd position.
One of the biggest moments of the race came during a restart on lap 78 when Evans would start on the outside of O. Riddle. When the cars came the green Evans had a car length lead on O. Riddle. TTSLMS officials through the caution flag and determined that Evans jumped the start. TTSLMS rules, if you jump the start, to the back you go. Evans who had been up front all night, would restart from the longest line.
With Evans restarting in the 14th position the Riddle brothers would lead them back to the green. T. Riddle would make a run to the outside to lead 1 lap over his brother but after that O. Riddle would lead the rest of the way. It would only take Evans less than 15 laps to make it all the way into the 7th Position as he charged toward the front. Havens would make a move toward the front getting by teammate Shelby Thomson for 3rd and battling to take 2nd away from T Riddle. Havens would use a few late cations and restarts to get by T. Riddle to take 2nd and battle O. Riddle for the lead.
By lap 135 Evans had made it all the way back up to 3rd battling it out with Havens and O. Riddle for the top 3 positions. Late caution on lap 139 would make it look like we would have a 10 lap shootout. The field would take the green on lap 141 with O. Riddle along with Havens on the outside leading them to the green. Havens used a good restart to hold the outside groove but with every good run he was able to get to the outside, O. Riddle would shut the door.
On lap 149 a late spin would give Havens one last shot with a green white checkered. O. Riddle had one of his best restarts of the night but havens stayed right alongside him into turns 1 and 2. O. Riddle would get a good enough run off turn 2 to pull ahead. As they took the white flag and headed into turn 1 Havens made a run and bump move onto O. Riddle but wasn’t enough. O Riddle would capture the dominate win leading 125 of the 152 laps run.
Neal Newberry 150 QUOTES & NOTES
Winner: No. 10 Owen Riddle
“I’m really proud of my team and how hard they worked this weekend. I just tried to do the best I could on the restarts and we had a lot of them. We had a really good car and it was a lot of fun racing against Braeden, Garret and my brother. ”
2nd Place: No. 83 Braeden Havens
“We had an amazing car tonight and thought we really had something to battle it out with Owen. Early in the race the car really liked the bottom but by the end of the race we were able to work the outside pretty well. Just want to thank my team and my Dad for giving me the opportunity.”
3rd Place: No. 64 Garrett Evans
“We had a really good car at the beginning of the race and was able to hold Owen off. I don’t know about the call on the restart but it was a challenge to work our way back towards the front. My spotter did a good job with that. If we had some more laps we have got up front but the damage that we got over in turn 4 incidents didn’t help us.”
• In Six races at WVSO for the TTSLMS there has been 6 different winners.(O. Riddle, T. Riddle, Shane Mitchell, Thompson, Jeff Jefferson and Brent Harris)
• History was made with Garrett Evans making the race along with his daughter Stephanie and 14 year son Jan making his Super Late Model debut. Garrett finished 3rd, Stephanie 21st and Jan 13th on the lead lap. Jan is also the youngest driver to ever compete in the TTSLMS
• Girl’s on the Run!! For the 2nd time in series history Three Female drivers started the main event. Stephanie Evans finished 21st after early accident. Evergreen Speedway standout Molly Helmuth finished 14th after running in the Top 5 but a late race incident sent her to the back. NASCAR K & N West Driver and NASCAR NEXT Star Nicole Behar made her first SLM start this year and finished 7th.
• Mitch Kleyn, who is 2nd in the TTSLMS and started 20th on the field, he was the Joe’s Racing Products Hard Charger of the Night by working his way up 12 positions to finish 8th on the night
• Who needs Wins? Evans has now made all 19 TTSLMS Races and is on track to repeat as the series champion. However Evans still has not captured a win on the series. He has 12 Top 5 finishes.
• TTSLMS Rookie of the Year contender, Glenn Knutson had his best career TTSLMS finish in 5th position. Knutson started 16th on the field and battled to the Top 5.
• 80 Plus, after the Neal Newberry 150 now 82 different drivers have made starts with the TTSLMS this year.
TRI-TRACK SUPER LATE MODEL SERIES OFFICIAL RESULTS
Neal Newberry 150
Wenatchee Valley Super Oval
152 laps 38 miles
Finishing position/Car No./Name/Hometown/Laps completed
WVSO Neal Newberry 150
1) 10R Owen Riddle Naches, WA 152
2) 83 Braeden Havens Airway Heights, WA 152
3) 64G Garrett Evans E. Wenatchee, WA 152
4) 9 Josh Roberts Ephrata, WA 152
5) 51 Glenn Knutson Quincy, WA 152
6) 93 Dave Garber Spokane, WA 152
7) 33 Nicole Behar Otis Orchards, WA 152
8) 1 Mitch Kleyn Quincy, WA 152
9) 15 Tayler Riddle Naches, WA 152
10) 29 Jason O’Neal Spokane, WA 152
11) 11 Ed Thomsen Pasco, WA 152
12) 20w Andy Sole Cle Elum, WA 152
13) 64J Jan Evans E. Wenatchee, WA 152
14) 90 Molly Helmuth Seattle, WA 152
15) 89 Doni Wanat Woodinville, WA 152
16) 88 Dirk Bennett Spokane, WA 152
17) 77 Toby Becker E. Wenatchee, WA 148
18) 20S Shelby Thompson Spokane, WA 135
19) 3 Barry Shingar Cranbrook, BC 116
20) 09 Clint Habart Cranbrook, BC 52
21) 64S Stephanie Evans E. Wenatchee, WA 52
22) 40 Jason Ogle Bothell, WA 48
23) 98 Chris Kellogg Spokane, WA 47
Lap Leaders: Evans 1-25, O.Riddle 25-68, T. Riddle 69, O. Riddle 70-152
Margin of Victory: .170
Time of Race: 1 hr 35 Minutes
-Tri-Track Super Late Model Series Press Release. Photo credit: Speed51.com