The Southeastern part of the United States is known for racing. It’s where it started, and where it continues to thrive. This weekend there’s plenty of great racing action across Virginia, North Carolina, Alabama and everywhere in between. Check out the must-see events in Speed51.com’s “10 to Go to” below.
1. “The Madhouse” celebrates a milestone on Saturday night. Bowman Gray Stadium is running its 1,000th race on Saturday night. Yes, you read that right. In a time when short tracks all over the country are adding to the Lost Speedway count, the Winston-Salem, North Carolina quarter-mile is still going strong and packing in huge crowds every week. In addition to the milestone celebration, the points battle between Burt Myers and Tim Brown continues to heat up as the season winds down.
2. If you’re in search of some great Late Model action, look no further than Virginia’s South Boston Speedway. The Super Late Models and Pro Late Models of the Pro All-Stars Series both will be in action on Saturday night, as will the Late Model Stocks of the NASCAR Whelen All-American Series. And be sure to pick yourself up one of South Boston’s famous bologna burgers while you’re there.
3. Have you ever wanted to see Scott Bloomquist and other dirt Late Model stars take their tops off? Well, they won’t be topless, but they’re dirt Late Models will be at Arkansas’ Batesville Motor Speedway as the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series go “topless” for 100 laps of mudslinging action. Oh yeah and there’s a $40,000 check on the line for the winner, so you can bet that every driver there will be giving it their all on Saturday night.
4. Montgomery Motor Speedway in Alabama has a great night of racing on the card. The Pro Late Model “Show Me the Money” Series has 100 laps of action lined up for Saturday. The Modifieds of Mayhem are there as well, and the new series has sure lived up to its name so far this year.
5. The Late Model Stocks are in action at one of NASCAR’s most historic tracks on Saturday night. The NASCAR Whelen All-American Series Late Models are scheduled to go for 150 laps around the challenging Greenville-Pickens Speedway in South Carolina.
6. In keeping with the extra distance theme, the NWAAS Late Model Stocks are going 100 laps at Virginia’s Langley Speedway on Saturday. The fast 4/10-mile oval near Virginia Beach is always a fun place to see a race, especially when the Late Models are there.
7. The World of Outlaw Late Models head to Maryland on Friday night to take on Potomac Speedway. They then follow that up with a trip a little further south to Virginia’s Winchester Speedway on Saturday night for a double-header weekend.
8. The Fuel Racing Series also has a double-header this weekend. On Friday night the series is in South Carolina at Traveler’s Rest Speedway, and then on Saturday night they head north to Virginia’s Wythe Raceway.
9. The United Dirt Late Model challenge is in Florida on Saturday night. They’re going for $3,000 at the North Florida Speedway in Lake City, Florida.
10. Hickory Motor Speedway in North Carolina is in action on Saturday night as the NASCAR Whelen All-American Series Late Model Stocks run their normal length. JR Motorsports driver Josh Berry has been on a roll lately, and he’s going for another win at the famous 3/8-mile track on Saturday.