1. The ARCA Midwest Tour heads north to Norway Speedway Friday night for the Duel for Diabetes 100. In the eight times the Midwest Tour has visited the quarter-mile track in Norway, MI fans have only seen two different winners: Nathan Haseleu and Jamie Iverson. However, neither of those drivers are on the entry list, so who will be able to get the job done in the U.P.? With top local contenders like Dalton Zehr and the Touring Stars of the Midwest Tour it is sure to be an exciting 100 laps.
2. Just three days after competing at Kalamazoo, MI for the Kalamazoo Klash, the ARCA/CRA Super Series visits Flat Rock Speedway on Saturday, August 15. There will be 100 laps of Super Late Model excitement from the ARCA/CRA Super Series and NASCAR driver David Ragan will be on hand to meet the fans and sign autographs.
3. Speaking of the Klash, just two days after pulling into victory lane in one of the biggest Outlaw Late Model races of the year, Jeff Ganus looks to clinch the ARCA Royal Truck and Trailer Gold Cup Series Championship and maintain his point lead in the Main Event Late Model Series Friday night at Toledo Speedway (OH).
4. The 2nd Annual Roper Family Classic presented by Whelen Engineering hits the track Thursday night at I-44 Speedway. NASCAR’s Kenny Wallace will get behind the wheel of a Pro Late Model and look to better his finish of second one year ago. The Pro Late Model division headlines the night with Wallace, but all five of the NASCAR Whelen All American classes will be in competition.
5. Travis Sauter looks to stay perfect as the 3rd Annual Habelman 100 takes place this Saturday at Dells Raceway Park (WI). Sauter won the first two events but looks to have some tough competition for the $3,000 pay day. Names like Nathan Haseleu, Ty Majeski and Dalton Zehr are also on the entry list.
6. There’s nothing like a $10,000 pay day! Saturday August 15 will serve as the make-up for the #FALS Dan Frenzy Late Models $10,000 to win, 50 lap Snoco American Late Model Series (ALMS) Special at Fairbury American Legion Speedway (IL). If you’re looking for some good dirt action this weekend, be sure to put this one on your calendar.
7. The MSA Supermodifieds visit Sandusky Speedway Saturday night and highlight a night of racing there for the second time this year. And get this, the top for drivers in the MSA Supermodified standings are separated by just three points. With back to back races at Sandusky this weekend and next weekend, a shake-up could be in store.
8. If you are looking for some local racing, there is plenty of that to be had as well! Madison International Speedway features their Back to School Night this Friday with all children 11 and under being admitted free. Four division of racing are scheduled, including the NASCAR Whelen All American Late Models where Zach Riddle holds just an 11 point lead over Dale Nottestad in the standings.
9. Casey Johnson has been cleaning house at Jefferson Speedway (WI) and owns nearly a 300 point lead in the standings. Johnson and the rest of the Late Models are on track Saturday night for the Cost Cutter Kids’ Bike Giveaway night.
10. Nothing says Wisconsin quite like corn and beer – am I right? State Park Speedway hosts their fifth annual corn and beer night and, of course, an action packed evening of racing Thursday, August 13. A 60-lap Super Late Model race highlights the night with five other divisions on track as well. Jeremy Lepak has been running strong at SPS this season and owns a 44 point lead in the championship standings.
-Jana Wimmer Midwest Editor, Twitter: @JWimm22