With April getting ready to turn to May and spring officially in full swing, so too is the short track racing season. This weekend there’s action in every region of the country with almost every type of race car. We worked hard to narrow things down to the 10 best races you should try to see this weekend in our 10 to Attend.
- Southern Super Series/Blizzard Series at Five Flags: Super Late Models return to Pensacola, Florida’s Five Flags Speedway for the first time since the 2015 Snowball Derby on Friday night. It’s race number three for the Southern Super Series and the season opener for the Blizzard Series as well.
- Super DIRTcar Series at Fulton Speedway: The Big Block Modifieds of the Super DIRTcar Series are ready to sling some dirt for the first points race of 2016 at New York’s Fulton Speedway. Can Matt Sheppard repeat as the SDS champion? The road to that answer begins on Saturday night.
- Modifieds at Bowman Gray Stadium: The “Madhouse” opens its doors for the first time in 2016 on Saturday night with its traditional 200-lap NASCAR Whelen All-American Series Hayes Jewelers 200 Modified race.
- Intimidator 100 at Kalamazoo Speedway: Outlaw Super Late Models will take to Michigan’s fast quarter-mile of Kalamazoo Speedway for the first time in 2016 on Friday night in the Intimidator 100.
- SRL Southwest Tour/Lucas Oil Modifieds at Irwindale: It’s a double-header at the legendary Irwindale Event Center (formerly known as Irwindale Speedway) on Saturday night as the Lucas Oil Modifieds for the first time this season. The Super Late Models of the SRL Southwest Tour are also on the card as they visit Irwindale for the first of two trips.
- RoC Modifieds at Chemung Speedrome: The Race of Champions Modified Tour heads to New York’s Chemung Speedrome on Sunday afternoon for the second race of the 2016 season. Eric Beers took the win in the “Break the Ice 75.”
- Joe Shear Classic at Madison: The ARCA Midwest Tour heads to Wisconsin’s Madison International Speedway on Sunday for the Joe Shear Classic 100-lap Super Late Model event. Johnny Sauter won the 2015 edition over Travis Sauter and Ty Majeski.
- PASS North at Beech Ridge Motor Speedway: The Super Late Models of the Pro All-Stars Series are back in action at Maine’s Beech Ridge Motor Speedway on Saturday. 150 laps are scheduled.
- ACT Late Models at Thunder Road: The “Widow Maker” will be seeking its next target on Sunday afternoon when the American Canadian Tour heads back to its home track, the Thunder Road International Speedbowl in Vermont.
- Show Me the Money at Montgomery: The Show Me the Money Pro Late Model Series returns to Alabama’s Montgomery Motor Speedway on Saturday night.
-By Rob Blount, Speed51.com Southeast Editor -- Twitter @RobBlount
-Photo Credit: Speed51.com/Bruce Nuttleman