With Memorial Day Weekend in the rearview mirror it is now unofficially summer, and that means that just about every race track in the country is in action. Compiling a list of 10 events is hard work, but we do it for you so you the race fan know exactly where you should go for some of the biggest and coolest events in Short Track Racing this weekend. So take a look in this weekend’s 10 to Attend.
1. Southern Super Series, Crisp Motorsports Park (GA) – Saturday night the Southern Super Series presented by Sunoco returns to Crisp Motorsports Park in Cordele, Georgia for the second time. Last year’s race was a thriller that saw Daniel Hemric beat Chase Elliott and Harrison Burton for the win.
2. RoC Modifieds, Spencer Speedway (NY) – The Modifieds of the Race of Champions head to New York’s Spencer Speedway on Friday night for a battle on the flat half-mile. Patrick Emerling heads to Spencer with the series points lead and a series leading two wins.
3. Southeast Dirt Modified Series, Legendary Hilltop (OH) – The biggest stars of IMCA-style Dirt Modified racing can be expected at Ohio’s Legendary Hilltop Speedway on Saturday night for a 50-lap showdown. The River City Showdown will pay $10,000 to the winner of Saturday’s main event.
4. NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour, Stafford Motor Speedway (CT) – The ground-pounders of the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour head to the flat half-mile of Stafford Motor Speedway for their fourth event of the season on Friday night. In the early stages of the season Timmy Solomito has solidified himself as a worthy foe to Doug Coby for the NWMT championship.
5. American-Canadian Tour, Devil’s Bowl Speedway (VT) – The American-Canadian Tour has seen five different winners in the first five events this season. Now the Tour makes its annual stop in Vermont on Saturday for the sixth race of the season.
6. Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series, Florence Speedway (KY) – Jimmy Owens is looking to capitalize on momentum gained from his Show-Me 100 win one week ago, but defending champion Jonathan Davenport is looking to extend his points lead in the 30th Ralph Latham Memorial 75-lap showdown on Saturday night in the Bluegrass State.
7. NASCAR K&N Pro Series West/Pacific Challenge Series, Shasta Speedway (CA) – Super Late Models and Stock Cars on one bill is a great show anywhere, but especially at California’s Shasta Speedway. That’s exactly what fans will get on Saturday night.
8. Evans, Baldwin, Jarzombek Memorial 77, Riverhead Raceway (NY) – Long Island’s only remaining race track will pay tribute to three of the best drivers to ever turn laps at the 1/4-mile bullring on Saturday night in NASCAR Whelen All-American Series Modified competition.
9. PASS South, South Boston Speedway (VA) – The Super Late Models of the PASS South Series will race 150 laps on Saturday night at Virginia’s legendary short track. That race will be sandwiched in between two 75-lap features for the NASCAR Whelen All-American Series Late Model Stocks.
10. Granite State Pro Stock Series, Lee USA Speedway (NH) – A strong field of Super Late Models are expected in the pit area at Lee USA Speedway Friday night. Defending series champion Derek Griffith will make his return to the series along with former PASS North champion DJ Shaw and Jeremy Davis, last year’s GSPSS winner at Lee.
-By Rob Blount, Speed51.com Southeast Editor – Twitter: @RobBlount
-Photo Credit: Heath Lawson Photo