With the biggest weekend in motorsports upon us, there is plenty to choose from for short track racing fans all across the land. Here are some of the biggest to check out in this week’s 10 to Attend.
1. Little 500, Anderson Speedway (IN) – Thirty-three non-winged Sprint Cars on a high-banked quarter-mile race track. The Little 500 is as wild as it gets in short track racing, and it will go green on Saturday night, the night before the 100th Running of the Indianapolis 500.
2. Show-Me 100, Lucas Oil Speedway (MO) – The Show-Me 100 has become one of the biggest Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series races of the year, at one of the premier dirt tracks in the United States. The 24th running of the event will see the green flag on Saturday night.
3a. Southern Super Series, Five Flags Speedway (FL) – The Southern Super Series returns to the home of the Snowball Derby on Friday night for the first leg of the only Gulf Coast doubleheader of the season.
3b. Southern Super Series, Mobile International Speedway (AL) – The second half of the Southern Super Series Gulf Coast doubleheader will take place at the high-banked half-mile of Mobile International Speedway on Saturday night.
4. PASS/SMRS, Concord Speedway (NC) – The Super Late Models of the PASS South Series and the ground-pounders of the Southern Modified Racing Series will head to the fast triangle of Concord Speedway during Coca-Cola 600 weekend on Friday night.
5. NASCAR K&N Pro Series East, Dominion Raceway (VA) – The rising stars of the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East head to the new, state-of-the-art half-mile of Dominion Raceway for a Memorial Day matinee on Monday.
6. PASS North/Memorial Day Classic at Thunder Road Int’l Speedbowl (VT) – For the second year in a row, the Pro All Stars Series (PASS) North Super Late Models will race around Thunder Road on Memorial Day Weekend. They will be joined by the ACT-type Late Models, who will go 100 laps for the Memorial Day Classic.
7. RoC Modifieds at Chemung Speedrome (NY) – The Race of Champions Asphalt Modified Tour will pound the pavement at the 1/3-mile New York oval Saturday afternoon. Matt Hisrschman, Chuck Hossfeld and a host of others will be looking to end Patrick Emerling’s two-race winning streak.
8. Show Me the Money Series, Montgomery Motor Speedway (AL) – The Pro Late Models are back in action at Montgomery Motor Speedway for 100 laps on Saturday night.
9. World of Outlaws Sprint Cars, The Dirt Track at Charlotte (NC) – Kicking off Coca-Cola 600 weekend at Charlotte Motor Speedway is “The Greatest Show on Dirt,” the World of Outlaws Craftsman Sprint Car Series on Friday night.
10. JEGS/CRA All-Stars Tour, Columbus Motor Speedway (OH) – The Pro Late Models of the JEGS/CRA All-Stars Tour head to the 1/3-mile of Columbus Motor Speedway for the final time as the track will cease operations at the end of the 2016 season.
-By Brandon Paul, Speed51.com Editor; Twitter – @BrandonPaul51
-Photo Credit: Speed51.com