A jam-packed weekend is on the horizon for those who enjoy the sport of short track racing. From California to New Hampshire and everywhere in between, there will be plenty of short track events to attend. Here are 10 of the best short track racing events you should attend this weekend.
1) RoC Asphalt Modified Series & ISMA Supermodified at Jukasa Motor Speedway (ON) – It will be a night full of open-wheel madness this Saturday at the beautiful Jukasa Motor Speedway in Ontario, Canada. The Race of Champions Asphalt Modified Series and ISMA Supermodifieds will join forces for a can’t-miss event north of the border.
2) Kings Royal at Eldora Speedway (OH) – “The Greatest Show on Dirt” will visit the historic Eldora Speedway in Rossburg, Ohio this weekend for the Kings Royal. Following two nights of preliminary racing, $50,000 will be on the line for teams during the main event on Saturday night.
3) ARCA Midwest Tour at Grundy County Speedway (IL) – The stars and cars from the ARCA Midwest Tour will venture to Grundy County Speedway on Saturday for the $5,000-to-win Wayne Carter Classic. After an entertaining battle between Ty Majeski and Ricky Baker last year, the anticipation is high for another classic.
4) SPEARS SRL Southwest Tour at Irwindale Speedway (CA) – Following an extended mid-summer break, the West Coast Super Late Model stars return to action Saturday night at Irwindale Speedway. A star-studded field including Jeremy Doss, Derek Thorn, Ryan Partridge and Trevor Huddleston will be competing for the top prize.
5) IWK 250 at Riverside Int’l Speedway (NS) – One of the biggest Pro Stock races of the year will take place Saturday night at Riverside International Speedway in Nova Scotia. NASCAR personality Kenny Wallace will be making a rare appearance behind the wheel of an asphalt Late Model, joining a strong field that includes Cassius Clark, Cole Butcher and Dylan Blenkhorn.
6) ARCA Racing Series at Elko Speedway (MN) – One year ago, Elko Speedway was the site of one of the most thrilling ARCA Racing Series finishes in series history. Austin Theriault and Christian Eckes swapped paint heading to the checkered flag before Theriault, the eventual champion, scored the win by a narrow margin. Is another thrilling finish in store? Fans in Minnesota sure hope so.
7) Thompson Throwback at Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park (CT) – For the second straight year, Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park will welcome in the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East for a special throwback night. Many of the cars competing Saturday night will be wearing special Busch North Series throwback schemes.
8) Diamond Nationals at Lucas Oil Speedway (MO) – Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series stars including Scott Bloomquist, Jonathan Davenport, Josh Richards and Bobby Pierce will invade the beautiful Lucas Oil Speedway in Wheatland, Missouri this Saturday night for the 12th Annual Diamond Nationals.
9) CARS Tour at Kingsport Speedway (TN) – The Late Model Stock Car touring series stars will make their way to Tennessee’s Kingsport Speedway for the first time on Saturday night. Bobby McCarty will be targeting his fifth win of the season, while Lee Pulliams will look to narrow the margin at the top of the championship standings.
10) Sun Fun 251 Weekend at Myrtle Beach Speedway (SC) – Race fans will be treated to 251 laps of feature racing Saturday night at Myrtle Beach Speedway. The main attraction of the night will be a 100-lap Late Model Stock Car race. Super Trucks, Vintage Cars, Mini Stocks and Chargers will also be in action.
BONUS RACE: Redbud 400 at Anderson Speedway (IN) – The prestigious Redbud 400 for the ARCA/CRA Super Series will be held Monday night at Anderson Speedway. A strong field of Super Late Models will be battling for $15,000 at the Indiana bullring.
BONUS RACE: Short Track Super Series at Big Diamond Speedway (PA) – Like the Redbud 400, this race isn’t technically a weekend race, so we decided to also include it as a bonus race. The Anthracite Assault at Big Diamond Speedway will attract some of the biggest names in Dirt Modified racing on Monday night.
-By Brandon Paul, Speed51.com Editor
-Photo credit: Jukasa Motor Speedway