With racing events being held all over the country this weekend, we’ve assembled a list of the top 10 short track racing events that race fans should attend.
1) The Hell Tour – If you feel like traveling through the states of Illinois and Indiana, you'll have plenty of racing to follow this weekend. The DIRTcar Summer Nationals will see Late Models and Modifieds visit Kankakee County Speedway (IL) Thursday night before heading to Sycamore Speedway (IL) on Friday. The Dirt Oval at Route 66 (IL) will play host to Saturday's racing before drivers and teams head to Plymouth Speedway (IN) on Sunday.
2) Islip 300 at Riverhead Raceway (NY) – It's the biggest and longest race of the year for the Modified division at Long Island's Riverhead Raceway. A stout field of drivers including Ryan Preece, Justin Bonsignore and Eric Goodale will be battling for 300 laps around the tight quarter-mile bullring, with a top prize of $7,000 on the line Saturday night.
3) Ohio Sprint Speedweek – Sprint Car fans in state of Ohio will have plenty of racing to follow with nine straight nights of racing for the All Star Circuit of Champions beginning Friday night at Attica Raceway Park. From there, the Sprints will visit Eldora Speedway, Waynesfield Raceway Park, Wayne County Speedway, Sharon Speedway, Atomic Speedway, Muskingum County Speedway, Limaland Motorsports Park and Millstream Speedway.
4) Show Me the Money Series at Montgomery Motor Speedway (AL) – Round 3 of the Show Me the Money Series will be held Saturday night at Montgomery Motor Speedway with 100 laps of racing on tap for the ultra-competitive Pro Late Model division.
5) PASS North at Speedway 95 (ME) – The Pro All Stars Series North Super Late Models will head north to Speedway 95 for race number eight of the 2018 season. As former series winner Garrett Hall recently said, "The track is bumpy, fast and fun." You won't want to miss this one if you're in the area on Sunday afternoon.
6) Clash at the Mag at Mangolia Motor Speedway (MS) – Stars from the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series will be joined by local and regional stars in pursuit of a $20,000 top prize Saturday night at Mangolia. Jonathan Davenport currently holds a 260-point advantage in the LOLMDS standings, but the white-hot Scott Bloomquist will be looking to narrow that margin.
7) JEGS/CRA All-Stars Tour at Salem Speedway (IN) – Pro Late Model stars and cars from the Champion Racing Association will tackle the high-banks of Salem Speedway Saturday night. Mason Keller leads defending series champion Jack Dossey III by a narrow two-point margin entering the event.
8) Ultimate Super Late Models at Virginia Motor Speedway – The Ultimate Super Late Models will roll into Virginia Motor Speedway Saturday night with a whopping $20,000 winner's check on the line.
9) ARCA Racing Series at Madison Int'l Speedway (WI) – After tackling the superspeedway in Michigan, the ARCA Racing Series returns to the short tracks Friday night at the half-mile oval in Madison, Wisconsin. The Herr's Potato Chips 200 is scheduled to begin at 9 p.m. ET and will be broadcast live on MAVTV.
10) American-Canadian Tour at New London-Waterford Speedbowl (CT) – Connecticut's 3/8-mile shoreline oval has been known to deliver great side-by-side racing when the American-Canadian Tour visits town. Saturday's race will be round two of the ACT Showdown Series, which means that a $5,000 will be delivered to the race winner. Defending ACT champion Scott Payea leads Eddie MacDonald by 31 markers entering the fifth race of the season.
BONUS RACE: NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour at Thompson (CT) - This race may not technically be on the weekend, but it's worth mentioning if you're a short track racing fan in the Northeast region. The ground-pounding Modifieds will be in action tonight (Thursday) at Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park, one of the premier racing facilities in the Northeast.
-By Brandon Paul, Speed51.com Editor
-Photo credit: Norm Marx / PASS