There’s no questioning that the 2018 short track racing season is officially underway. Temperatures are rising, tension is rising and there’s no better place to be this time of year than a short track. With racing events being held all over the country this weekend, we’ve assembled a list of the top 10 short track racing events that race fans should attend throughout the country.
1) Race of Champions Asphalt Modified Series at Lancaster National Speedway (NY) – The Race of Champions Asphalt Modified Series and Super Stocks will kick off the 2018 season Saturday afternoon at Lancaster. A strong field of Modifieds is expected with Patrick Emerling, Chuck Hossfeld, Tommy Catalano and others chasing the checkered flag.
2) First in Flight 100 at Fayetteville Motor Speedway (NC) – Saturday’s First in Flight 100 for the World of Outlaws Late Model Series will be the richest event in Fayetteville Motor Speedway history. The race, which will be held in memory of the late Carlton Lamm, will pay a whopping $25,001 to the winner. Bobby Pierce and Jimmy Owens are among those ready to challenge the WoO regulars.
3) Intimidator 100 at Kalamazoo Speedway (MI) – Outlaw Late Models will return to Michigan’s Kalamazoo Speedway to complete the final 78 laps of the Intimidator 100. In addition, they’ll also be racing a 40-lap feature event that was previously scheduled.
4) #LetsRaceTwo at Eldora Speedway (OH) – What’s better than one race? How about two? The USAC National Midgets and World of Outlaws Sprint Cars roll into Tony Stewart’s Eldora Speedway this weekend for the annual #LetsRaceTwo event.
5) TUNDRA Super Late Model Series at Wisconsin Int’l Raceway – The TUNDRA Super Late Models kick off their 2018 campaign this Saturday with a visit to Wisconsin International Raceway in Kaukauna, Wisconsin. A large and competitive field is expected for the first race of the season.
6) Short Track U.S. Nationals Test Day at Bristol Motor Speedway (TN) – It’s only a test day, but it’s also Bristol, baby. The first and only test for the Short Track U.S. Nationals at the Last Great Colosseum will be held Saturday with six divisions making laps around the high-banked oval.
7) American-Canadian Tour at Lee USA Speedway (NH) – ACT and Lee USA Speedway officials hope that the third time is the charm. After postponing the New Hampshire Governor’s Cup 150 twice already this season, they’ll give it another go this Saturday.
8) NASCAR K&N Pro Series East at South Boston (VA) – The stars from the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East will invade South Boston Speedway this Saturday. They’ll be joined by the track’s Late Model Stock Cars for a doubleheader event.
9) Sunoco Super 8 Super Late Models at Auburndale Speedway (FL) – The Sunoco Super 8 Super Late Models will return to action at Auburndale Speedway on Saturday night. The big question going in will be: can anyone stop Jesse Dutilly?
10) Modifieds of Mayhem at Mobile Int’l Speedway (AL) – The Modifieds of Mayhem will head to the Gulf Coast for their first stop of the season at Mobile International Speedway.
-By Brandon Paul, Speed51.com Editor – Twitter: @Brandon_Paul51
-Photo credit: Speed51.com / MoJo Photos